Skip to main content

Mack Quadruplex diagramatic

More
3 years 4 weeks ago - 3 years 4 weeks ago #219934 by Dave_64
Hi All,
Would anyone have either an exploded view of the compound section of the early Mack Quadruplex transmission, OR direct me to where I may find one?
Handy if Icould lay my grubby little hands on both the main (5 speed) section as well as the compound (4 speed) section, but would settle for the latter.
Something I can blow up and print out would be great, if available.
Many Thanks, Dave
P.S. Whilst I'm about it, can anyone confirm that at one stage you could buy a set of gears for the SIX speed Maxitorque transmission, which instead of having the deep "hole" gear could be used as an overdrive on 5th in the main, as well as what overdrive ratios were available??
Last edit: 3 years 4 weeks ago by Dave_64.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 weeks ago #219944 by Mrsmackpaul
Try the big Mack truck forum for diagrams
Or the Mack Museum
www.macktruckshistoricalmuseum.org/

As far as the 6 speed Maxi torque
Im reading a book at the moment with a fella driving a Maxidyne F model thru Europe to Irag with a 5 speed Maxi torque and splitting is down on the second stick in 5th

Dunno if this is what your thinking of

If I was asked before today I would of said no

This fella is the very first driver and built in Allen town so maybe different than we had available in Australia

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 4 weeks ago #219959 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Mack Quadruplex diagramatic
Thanx, Mrs.
Will check out those sites.
That bloke driving through Europe in the F model, same principle, but the way you have described it is as an underdrive on 5th, I was thinling more as an overdrive. Dave

More
3 years 4 weeks ago #219960 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Mack Quadruplex diagramatic
All the detail needed is in the thick green cover Mack manual of the 70s....I often see them for $20 at swaps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
3 years 4 weeks ago #219961 by Mrsmackpaul
Dave I only interpreted that way
A normal Mack 10 or 12 speed overdrive is the same I guess as shifting a direct
I don't feel I can tell any difference from just driving it

So a 5 speed and splitting the gears ona second stick I doubt anyone could tell if it was a overdrive box or not

I do believe they had a biggger variety of boxes to choose from in Yanky land than was ever available in Australia

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 4 weeks ago #219962 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Mack Quadruplex diagramatic
Its just a guess ,but the heavyweight quad had overdrives in both sections......this is the only way a 7.49 diff ratio could do 60 mph...(there are two different kinds of quads,heavy and light.)

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 4 weeks ago #219964 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Mack Quadruplex diagramatic
Cogz m80
best eye can do

Sometimes U gotta grind m to find m
LOL

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, PaulFH

More
3 years 4 weeks ago #219969 by Kav
Replied by Kav on topic Mack Quadruplex diagramatic
Hi Dave, I think there is a mix-up between two six speed Maxitorque Gearboxes. The first six speed with the two sticks had the standard five speed direct on the main box with an underdrive, direct and reverse on the second stick. There were two ratios in the underdrive, a standard, which was one gear below first, or alternatively a deep reduction which was much lower and tended to cause broken axles and screwed tailshafts, if you were not careful. Both boxes were fitted with torque limiters which reduced the fuel in reverse. Because reverse was on the rear stick you had five reverses, depending which gear the main stick was in.
The second six speed Maxitorque was an overdrive, with the standard five speed in the main box, with its reverse in the main box, with an extra overdrive section in front of the main box, with its own stick. There was a lockout to stop the overdrive from being shifted from direct to overdrive unless the main box was in fourth or fifth gear. The ratio of this overdrive was about .62 which was about the same as the double overdrive Quad Box. At that time, 7.49 was a common ratio, and this gave about 55mph at 2100 rpm. Drivelines had to be spot-on as the tailshaft did about 3400 rpm. Kav.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
3 years 4 weeks ago #219974 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Mack Quadruplex diagramatic
Kav,
That second one you referred to is, I reckon, the one I'm thinking of.
Many moons ago, one of Maynes subbies had a sleeper cab F model with the 375 V8 Maxidyne (866??).
Came out with the standard 5 speed box, pulled like a train, but cruel even in those days, on fuel. Geared to just over 60mph, (100Kph), to try and get at least a little better economy, he got hold of a six speed, maybe even imported it himself, or through Mack Australia, long time ago. He called it a six speed, because even though it had the second stick (direct and overdrive), he only was going to upshift to overdrive when the main was in 5th. Would that sound about right?
We had just taken on the new 320hp 10 speed splitter trans (with the reverse on the air change as per Swishy's chart) as company p/movers.
I do remember him telling me that the particular box could handle well over 400HP,
Pretty conservative driver, he would have been content to bop along at his 80-90 k;s and try and save a bit on fuel, (remembering in those days that no speed limiters and trucks were only supposed to be doing 80km max anyway, not that many adhered to it!).
This particular bloke gave interstate away and last I heard about him and the truck was he had blown the chassis out and fitted a tipper body, working with his brother doing city building demolition work. Bit of overkill for that application, but would probably last another 50 years.
Dave

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #220004 by Kav
Replied by Kav on topic Mack Quadruplex diagramatic
Dave, the weakest point of the six speed Overdrive was the front overdrive unit itself. I had to get new gears and bearings in the front section on mine but the rest of the box, the main five speed section was perfect. The overdrive was the same gap between gears as the five speed, so back then it was mainly matched with the Maxidyne with the big torque range. I don't know but the front gear housing may have been the same as the front box on the twelve speed, but with an overdrive instead of the underdrive. Kav

Time to create page: 0.476 seconds