Skip to main content

1964 butterbox wiring diagram needed

More
3 years 21 hours ago #220097 by stepto and son
Can someone please provide me the diagram for dash wiring and engine wiring? Need to sort out why my oil, temp, fuel gauges not working, and also which way the coil is wired, mine was wired as positive to dizzy.
Cheers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 20 hours ago #220102 by cobbadog
BEst tool for this is a test light at around a couple of bucks atthe usual spare parts shop. Connect the lead to the positive power and then start touching the other end of the wires until you confirm the power. Double check the colour of the wire in the engine bay and find it behind the dash.

As for the dizzy, I had an issue like this recently with my tractor. It was explained like this to me that if you have negative earth at the battery then you have negative wire to the dizzy and visa versa.
Tractor is a bloody + earth so it runs + from coil to dizzie. Mind you the bloody thing ran with the wires arse about face for a long while.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stepto and son

More
3 years 20 hours ago #220105 by asw120
If it has a little regulator can on the back of the gauges, I would be looking at that. It will feed those three.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: stepto and son

More
3 years 19 hours ago #220108 by stepto and son
Ahh, so are the butterbox actually positive earth?? My landrovers were like that. I didn't think about polarity I just assumed the trucks are negative Earth

More
3 years 19 hours ago #220109 by stepto and son
Thanks mate I haven't opened the dash yet, what voltage should it be at that regulater?

More
3 years 18 hours ago #220110 by hayseed
Dad had an AB 160 it was Positive Earth, Until one day the generator Died & We Fitted An Alternator & changed it over to Negative Earth..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
3 years 44 minutes ago #220126 by cobbadog
Gday steptoe, I do not know if your truck is + or - earth I was just giving an example. So to establish what it is go to your battery and see what side goes to earth. This should be the way your truck is wired. I would suggest not to go too far forward until you know for certain what the polarity is. A multimeter is a cheap and easy way to establish the polarity with the engine running test the voltage at the alternator/generator or at the regulator.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #220129 by JOHN.K.
later ones are negative........but 1964 will have a Lucas C40 generator and Lucas RB108 regulator......bit of research needed ........just about all alternators are neg earth ,generators can be either way.......but generally anything after 1954 will be neg earth.......................a 1964 MkIII Acco is negative earth with a generator.
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by JOHN.K..
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 11 months ago #220140 by asw120
I think those little instrument regulators run about 5 volts, but any steady voltage should give you a reading. With no reading, I would expect no output on one side. They are just a little metal box with a couple of wires. If you see one of these feeding all the gauges that'll be it.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
2 years 11 months ago #220142 by Sarge
Steptoe, an optimist talking about wiring mentioned colours, my butter box is probably two years newer than yours and now diesel, but the colour coded wiring is excellent, all colour coded yellow. But don't give up there, surprisingly each of the wires are numbered, on the wire, at at least each end. And I am negative earth. I will endeavor to dig up the wiring diagram tomorrow.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Time to create page: 0.484 seconds