Skip to main content

Dumbass question(again!)

More
2 years 9 months ago #223018 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Dumbass question(again!)
Getting a bit realistic for me, pack up toys and back to the pram!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #223022 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Dumbass question(again!)
If it was from else where it would be hanging off the R-Send.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #228635 by Dave_64
Even more dumbass questions! (I have an untapped amount of 'em!)
Recently acquired a reasonably straight alloy tray top at the right price for the Karrier project (see attached).
Wants very little work to fit on the chassis, main thing is to shorten it about 12" lengthwise, width is close enough to original.
Have to remove the bent hurdles, and the front rack, all bolted on.
The original tipping body sat on a couple of 2" (50mm) hardwood bearers, the swivel point at the rear attached to the tapered section at the extreme rear of the rails, hydraulic ram positioned the front and there were two pieces of flat with a slight outwards taper to guide the steel body onto the hardwood bearers. again simply bolted to the outside of the chassis rails, vertically.
As I'm going to use the alloy tray as a straight fixed one (but leaving provision if I ever want to male a tipping bed out of it), once I shorten it to the required length, I have to narrow the rails where they sit on the hardwood bearers roughly 100mm each side so they line up with the chassis.
The rails that are currently on the alloy tray are also alloy "H" section. I intend leaving them in situ, bit of extra strength for the floor, (they are bolted to the bed of the tray, not welded).
Wondering if it would be simpler to just make up the two extra rails out of steel, say 4X2 channel and then bolt them to the tray floor.
I am aware of the electrolisis element but figure by the time that happens I'll be well and truly gone. Do have some old conveyor belt here, wouldn't be too much effort to cut a couple of strips and insert them between the hardwood and new rails.

What would be the ruling on how to fix the new rails, be they either steel or alloy, to the chassis, here in Victoria, anyone know?
It would be a simple matter to have "U" bolts made up to correct length and I dont know if it would matter whether they face up or down, (reckon that if they faced upwards would be easy enough to slide the plates across between the underside of the tray and the hardwood bearers).
If limited space could always install the "U" bolts facing downwards BEFORE bolting the new rails to the floor, would mean that the plates and nuts would be pretty low, always a chance of belting your head on them. if working underneath.
There would obviously be a MINIMUM size of "U" bolts and how many each side you would require, I know I can buy either 16 or 20 mm diameter bolts off the shelf, chassis rails are only 5" (125mm) deep,X 2" (50mm) wide. plus the height of the bearers and wooden runners, all up height around 12".
The alloy tray isn't all that old, and as I said, the original rails were simply bolted to the floor,
Are "U" bolts legal? Would imagine so.
Don't want to over complicate things (like I usually do) in case I ever get around to re installing the tipping hoist thereby making a tipping tray, kept all the swivel brackets and bars off the original steel body (simply rotted away and NWR).
Remembering this is only a "toy" and won't be carrying weight usually.
Any ideas ?
Thanks, Dave_64
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Dave_64.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
2 years 4 months ago #228640 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Dumbass question(again!)
.Something like this ...............

.................Billy..................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

More
2 years 4 months ago #228641 by Dave_64
Yep, got that one sorted thanks, Billy P.
May have to engineer something for the exhaust if I go vertical, at the moment simply pointing out in front of the N/S rear axle.
Dave

More
2 years 4 months ago #228642 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Dumbass question(again!)
All new bodies have to be fitted with plates and U bolts are banned. Same for all states. Someone will chime in with the link to govment web site showing engineering diagrams. So, your tray is how you bought it 20 years ago, right, wink. For the size of chassis and tray 16mm (5/8") would be heaps, flat at the bottom to match chassis rail and have spacer between the flanges of the chassis rail to stop it getting squashed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64, PaulFH

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #228643 by Vic Rhodes
Replied by Vic Rhodes on topic Dumbass question(again!)

All new bodies have to be fitted with plates and U bolts are banned. Same for all states. Someone will chime in with the link to govment web site showing engineering diagrams. So, your tray is how you bought it 20 years ago, right, wink. For the size of chassis and tray 16mm (5/8") would be heaps, flat at the bottom to match chassis rail and have spacer between the flanges of the chassis rail to stop it getting squashed.

No there NOT...

www.nhvr.gov.au/files/201901-0631-vsb6-s...-j-body-mounting.pdf
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Vic Rhodes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
2 years 4 months ago #228645 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Dumbass question(again!)
Thanks for posting the link so we have it from the horses mouth. U bolts ..... "May not be endorsed". As an example my 5 ton Isuzu was previously registered as a chiller and I put a tray on it. First time over a bridge (in NSW) 18 mths ago on a wet night the scalie was under it with a torch checking the mounts, all good as I had mostly plates. Depends who you get on the day I guess but best not to be in a position where you are arguing the toss with the bloke who has made his mind up and has the last say.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64, PaulFH

More
2 years 4 months ago #228650 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Dumbass question(again!)
When I did the tray swap on the sandblasters new truck,I used the old ubolts from the old truck ,which belonged to the tray anyway......the private inspection guy made me weld the tray to the chassis front and rear...........and he probably wouldnt have passed the ubolts if Col wasnt giving him $300 for the safety certificate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
2 years 4 months ago #228662 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Dumbass question(again!)
It looks like an old Alcan style tray.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Time to create page: 0.592 seconds