Skip to main content

Dumbass question(again!)

More
2 years 4 months ago #228664 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Dumbass question(again!)

Thanks for posting the link so we have it from the horses mouth. U bolts ..... "May not be endorsed". As an example my 5 ton Isuzu was previously registered as a chiller and I put a tray on it. First time over a bridge (in NSW) 18 mths ago on a wet night the scalie was under it with a torch checking the mounts, all good as I had mostly plates. Depends who you get on the day I guess but best not to be in a position where you are arguing the toss with the bloke who has made his mind up and has the last say.

Where exactly does It say That..??

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #228669 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Dumbass question(again!)
Cobba,
No stickers, plates or any form of I.D. On it, may be older than I thought!
At some stage did have sideboards on it, the hinge pivots are still there.

Also, if you look close enough from underneath,( cant in the pic though) I can make out rub marks where it was originally mounted on whatever chassis it was fitted to.
According to the blurb that Vic Rhodes posted, I havent yet read it in its entirety and dont know how old the info is but presume its up to date, "U" bolts MAY be utilised along with fish plates, obviously so it cant walk sideways.
Chassis "crush tubes" or spacers make sense as well as easy to make, also a para about insulating the different materials.
The vehicle itself is 60 odd years old and the original hardwood bearers have been preserved with oil, grease and mud.
For once I was really trying not to overthink this and KISS, and the "authot-it-ties" did it for me!
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Dave_64.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 4 months ago #228671 by Mrsmackpaul
U bolts are 100% okay to use as stated
We have been down this road many times on the forum over the years and every time the same result

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: hayseed, Dave_64

More
2 years 4 months ago #228678 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Dumbass question(again!)
I stand corrected about them - as in u bolts only- being banned, however in NSW at least they have achieved the same result by the back door by requiring from about 3 years ago bodies to be fitted by a certified body builder and as John K experienced the certifiers are pretty shy about relying on u bolts.
Of course none of this applies to historic/club rego as the whole point of conditional registration is that the vehicle does not comply with current regs.

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #228679 by Vic Rhodes
Replied by Vic Rhodes on topic Dumbass question(again!)

I stand corrected about them - as in u bolts only- being banned, however in NSW at least they have achieved the same result by the back door by requiring from about 3 years ago bodies to be fitted by a certified body builder and as John K experienced the certifiers are pretty shy about relying on u bolts.
Of course none of this applies to historic/club rego as the whole point of conditional registration is that the vehicle does not comply with current regs.

At the risk of being Rude...The highlighted statement is Simply Untrue..

Anybody can fit the Body, You just have to do it in accordance with the Guidelines I Posted.. Once Fitted It has to be inspected & certified by a Licensed Certifier .. Who then Fits a Blue Mod Plate for a "J" Code. There are literally Dozens of Qualified Certifiers in N.S.W. for J(body ) & P (tow coupling) Modifications.,.

roads-waterways.transport.nsw.gov.au/doc...ensed-certifiers.pdf
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Vic Rhodes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, Mrsmackpaul

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #228685 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Dumbass question(again!)
Hmm....... must have missed that lesson!
Now all I have to do is work out WTF a Huck bolt is and how to install them without going and spending a motza on special tools that I know damn well I'll never use again!
Dave
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Dave_64.

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #228691 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Dumbass question(again!)
Unfortunately ,there is no way a Huck Bolt can be fitted witout the special hydraulic tool.......the tool has to stress the bolt ,then crimp a sleeve over the grooves in the shank............I would say Huck bolts were used to stop owner removal of the fittings........edit ......,Kenworth chassis were full of Huck Bolts once ,and I thought you must have one.......but now Isee there are ally Huck bolts in your ally tray......I would chop them out,and replace them with either steel bolts or maybe ally rivets ...soft ally rivets are easy to set with a few tools......incidentally ,steel in contact with ally doesnt rust (much) as the ally is the corroding metal,same as galvanizing/boat anodes.
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by JOHN.K..

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #228693 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Dumbass question(again!)
Here is all about Huck Bolts

blog.baysupply.com/things-to-know-when-using-a-huck-bolt

Rivnut also have the same thing called a Lockbolt.

There are a number of places you can rent a Huck tool and also buy the rivets. Quicker, neater and more efficient to put in new Hucks than try welding or nuts and bolts.
huckaerobolt.com.au/pages/huck-bolt-gun-rental
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Lang.

Time to create page: 0.459 seconds