Skip to main content

AT4 68 Dodge 775

More
2 years 8 months ago #223986 by DanielJ
Replied by DanielJ on topic AT4 68 Dodge 775
Hi, All indications shows it to be a great cab just a hole in the floor from metal fatigue. The truck it self has been stored in a shed for most of its life sooooooo fingers crossed but quietly confident its good. Its the cab on the truck in the above pic the red one. The cab that is on my truck now is no good at all. The roof nearly peeled of on the way home when a semi went flying pass!!! LOL Gorilla taped it to the wind screen which held it in place for the rest of the trip.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #224023 by Tassie Dan
Replied by Tassie Dan on topic AT4 68 Dodge 775
Hi sir, a trick we used to do at rescue jobs was to use a knife, hold it flat along the glass to cut the rubber between the glass itself and the top over lapping bit of rubber. This where the rubber is thinnest and where the glass is held from.just work your way around the whole screen and it should lift out. Only works in older vehicles and would work with my dodge so I guess it would be the same for yours. As far as the gear box goes I have asked similar questions on here with most answers being that ether a different gear box or diff is the go, a diff out of a later model truck has been suggested to me giving better brakes and wheel and tyre sizes too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanielJ

More
2 years 8 months ago #224026 by DanielJ
Replied by DanielJ on topic AT4 68 Dodge 775
Can you put any diff/ axel in as long as its the same width and mounting points as the one that came out? If so is there recommended diffs to change too?

More
2 years 8 months ago #224031 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic AT4 68 Dodge 775
If you look hard enough and long enough you might find a 5.41/7.44 Rockwell 2 speed diff with spider hubs and hydraulic brakes, out of an A series Acco. It took me a long time to find one though.

Just be mindful of the 318 running out off puff with that gearing. It might be ok running empty on the flat on a calm day, but any hills or wind will really knock it around.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanielJ

More
2 years 8 months ago #224044 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic AT4 68 Dodge 775
At least wit a 2 speed diff,if you overgear it ,you can still drive in the low diff ratio.......Possibly the later ACCO -A fire trucks may have had quicker ratio diifs.........However ,one thing I do know about the 2 speed Rockwells ...the early Dodges had US made diffs,later Dodges and Inters had the IEL/ SA made diffs,and they were so bad they killed the Rockwells stone dead .......no one would touch one,and you couldnt sell a truck with one in......Neuss motors,SMA gearboxes and 2sp rockwells killed IH
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, DanielJ

Time to create page: 0.417 seconds