More
2 years 7 months ago #224713 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Back to the Track
A buggy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #224715 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Back to the Track
Id think all you d need would be a front gear,and a synchro.

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #224716 by Lang
It was staring to jump out of top under load and i was having to hold it in going up hills.

Finally i could not hold it in. Adjusted linkages but did not help. Something feels broken inside and gearbox locks up.
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Lang.

More
2 years 7 months ago #224718 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Back to the Track
Not understanding gearboxes on a good day other than it changes the ratios of power transmission to the diff. What holds it in gear? I thought maybe a badly adjusted selector could cause an issue but once the gear is selected why or how does it jump out? Sorry for the lack of knowledge, maybe I might learn something.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 7 months ago #224720 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Back to the Track

End of the road.

Sailing along heading towards 3 ways. Loud crunching noises and top gear retired hurt. Ten km into renner springs in second to consider our options.

Looked up to see a car carrier stopping for a break.

There are certainly some good people in the world. Zak the owner of the small rkt transport said no problem to brisbane. Took nearly 4 hours to unload existing vehicles and rload everything
Because his prime mover had no hydraulics to operate the decks the owner of renner springs roadhouse came to the rescue with his baby fork lift which raised and lowered them with 1 gramme in reserve.

Bev got a lift to 3 ways and i came down with Zak on the truck.

Upshot is Zaks brisbane job is delayed so no rush. In the morning bev and i will go in the truck to mt isa then fly home in the afternoon. We are in a motel room but poor Zak went to hop into his bunk and found a bloody cattle truck right beside him with the buggers tap dancing on the steel floors all night

Well for an 80 year old unrestored car she knocked over 5000 kilometres easily and s..t happens.
Broken down, along comes a car carrier with space; providence. B)

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #224724 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Back to the Track
Middle of nowhere between Marla and Coober Pedy I hit a kangaroo - pushing the pulley on the waterpump back on its shaft and reworking the radiator somewhat! Next vehicle to come along was an empty car transporter :cheer: so you see I can attest to your good fortune too.
My saviour dropped his ramps and I drove my State Fleet vehicle on! He took me home, and gave me his yard details - pleased as punch to have scored a paying job for his return trip to Adelaide.
Later that day I walked into the State Fleet offices, handed them the front number plate that had come off when the Falcon's plastic bumper bar had snapped in two, and asked for a replacement vehicle. All too easy. :blink:
Keep your stories coming Lang, they make great reading, and the only Chev gearbox I have is a 1958 three speed. ;)
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by PDU.

More
2 years 7 months ago #224727 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Back to the Track
It must be something in the air out in the dry country when it comes to needing help and having it arrive.
Back in the '80s I was running the workshop for a bus and coach company on the NSW Central Coast, when they "dry hired" a Denning to a local church group for a 16 day safari to Darwin and back. They had their own driver, hostess and safari trailer, so all good. On their way back home, somewhere between 3 ways and Mt Isa, the GM dropped a valve and died.

First vehicle to come along was an empty coach with trailer belonging to Forrest Coachlines of Sydney, returning from a one way trip to Darwin. They loaded up all the passengers and tucker and bought them home. But the good fortune didn't stop there. After a ring around, I was put onto Tommy Wilmont, who ran a truck workshop in Isa. As luck had it, he had a mate returning empty to Isa the next day in a KW rigid stock float with 2 trailers in tow. This guy removed the bull bar from the coach, attached his stiff bar and towed it, along with the safari trailer, the 300 odd kilometres to Tommy's workshop. He then asked for the princely sum of, from memory, $500 for his efforts.

Tom pulled the engine apart, diagnosed what was required to fix it. As he was too busy to take on the rebuild, I had all the parts shipped to his workshop, flew to Isa and put it all back together before driving back to the Central Coast, non stop in 32 1/2 hours. No, not a hero, a complete moron, but the things you do for a boss when you are young.
Steve.

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #224728 by Lang
Cobba

The gear is usually held in place gently by a poppet ball on top of a spring that goes into a hole or slot in the gear selector or slider.

Helical gears, because they go into mesh at an angle always have axial (side) load and naturally want to push themselves out of mesh. The gears are cut to a sort of "over-centre" angle which compensates for the side push - back-grinding. Unfortunately as they become worn and rounded this compensating cut angle becomes more straight and eventually the little poppet ball and spring can not hold it engaged.

You will know this is happening early as it will stay in gear OK on the flat but under heavy acceleration or going up hills the extra force will push it out. I managed to hold it with the gear stick for some time (a bungy cord on the shifters held it in good for a couple of thousand km) but eventually the gear wear made the force too great even for a heavy hand on the stick to hold.

Straight cut gears will also jump out but it seems more likely on the over run as they too become worn and rounded away from the correct meshing shape.

Lang
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog

More
2 years 7 months ago #224729 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Back to the Track
I think he did the numbers but the car cost $500,000 to build (in 1994 $) so he bit the bullet.

I know Barnsey (who happened to be on that Safari) charges some scary figures to retrieve vehicles from the Simpson. Something like $10.00 per K there and back.

He uses a serious MAN ex-Army truck.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227092 by Lang
Well the Chev finally has a new gearbox and will be on the market to fund the next project.

The RAAF PR people took this shot of most of the crew (about a dozen missing) at Tindal. The cameraman said the photos would be next day, I suppose 3 months is close to next day.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, oliver1950

Time to create page: 0.569 seconds