Skip to main content

Squeaky brakes

More
2 years 8 months ago #223500 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Squeaky brakes
You are supposed to be able to stop noise by grinding a bevel in the leading edges of the shoes,and also by trimming the shoes diagonal on the leading edge .......be careful of the dust,it will be asbestos for sure.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #223517 by ashmenz0
Replied by ashmenz0 on topic Squeaky brakes
Hi Cobbadog & V8Ian
That sounds like a good plan.
I assume the sqealing is from the surfaces being too shiny?

Hi JOHN.K.
So the leading edge would be trimmed across the entire face, one side to the other and then just bevel the leading edge at say a 45 degree angle for mayeb 5mm or so?

Thanks

Ash

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
2 years 8 months ago #223518 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Squeaky brakes
Eyed B inclined to squirt the water hose in B hind the back n plate to wash out any dust etc on all brakes
then go n try m

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 8 months ago #223519 by ashmenz0
Hi Swishy
Sounds like that will be worth a try before pulling too many things apart.
Thanks
Ash

More
2 years 8 months ago #223522 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Squeaky brakes
Brother in Law's father had the Mercedes dealership in Dandenong. About mid 70's Mercedes brought out a model that had many come backs for squealing brakes. They tried everything and Mercedes was aware of it but wanted to use up the million pads they had in the factory before changing to a softer construction. The fix was a small squirt of engine oil on the discs!

Lang

More
2 years 8 months ago #223526 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Squeaky brakes
I'm thinking if it is glazed just start chucking handfuls of sand in there some how and it would soon take the glaze off

But guessing this plan could be frowned upon by most

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 8 months ago #223547 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Squeaky brakes
When I did full air truck brakes ,I always used to put smear of grease around the drum,makes the brakes wear a lot longer ,and the drums get a skin on them ,without developing the rough surface that you sometimes get with the non asbestos linings.......dont do the grease if you are going for inspection the next day.

More
2 years 8 months ago #223550 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Squeaky brakes
I can only guess that if you do end up removing the drums then chamfering the edges of the linings might help but if they are rock hard you might consider replacing the linings with the new ones.
Last 2 brake lining jobs I did were on tractors and the new material for the linings are soft. What this did was make the brakes very efficient. I can hold the D.B. on the ramps quite easily where in the past even standing up on the brake pedal and pulling against the steering wheel it would only slow down the rate of decent.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
2 years 8 months ago #223588 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Squeaky brakes
.Here is some useless info on squeaky brakes in the past................
Many moons ago there was an epidemic of squeaky brakes in Aus .................
Our local council had some ACCO garbage trucks, the squeaky brakes were so bad that after many complaints
they were used in day time only ...............they tried everything known to man to fix the situation to no avail ...........
At the time my son bought a tri axle Freighter flat top and it suffered with the same problem, it was just terrible ............
It went back & had new drums and softer linings , this made it partially better , but still too noisy ...........
He was told, we are working on it, get your self some ear plugs till we come up with a fix ..................
A couple of months later they called him and said bring it in and and hopefully it will be fixed ............
They were right, its as quiet as a mouse ...........problem fixed ..........
They wernt keen to say what the cure was, but it did have new drums & shoes fitted .............
Seemed the problem was caused by the wrong carbon content in the drum material ..................A mate of mine was workshop
foreman at our local council, so i passed this info on , then the garbage truck squeaky brake syndrome was a thing of the past ...........
I dont know the brand of the drum manufacturer .............but there you go........wrong carbon content in the drum material............
That fixed that particular problem .........................
......................Billy.........................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Dave_64, Lang, PaulFH

More
2 years 8 months ago #223614 by ashmenz0
Thanks for all your suggestions guys

Time to create page: 0.519 seconds