Skip to main content

Where's all the projects?

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #225494 by Oilman
Replied by Oilman on topic Where's all the projects?

Its' no Big deal. Nor am I denigrating the Job Oilman has done..
it's just that the Jib appears (to My Eyes) to have bit of a Whoop to the Offside..

Hayseed, you have good eyes and you are quite correct, it is bent to one side. It came with the tractor (along with a near new slasher that was way too big for it). Have kept the slasher and given the jib a paint job and it can go with it. We all know they are pretty much a waste of time but the new owner might get some use out of it.

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Oilman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hayseed

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225514 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Where's all the projects?
I noticed a slasher in your original photo and was hoping you were'nt going to ask the little 135 to drive it.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225535 by Mrsmackpaul
Massey ferguson had books called "product manuals" and I think these were for sales men back in the day and listed what went with etc

The little 135 Im pretty sure was capable of driving a 6 foot slasher if my memory is correct

Tractors worked a lot harder than they do today as most farmers have much more power in the same size tractors

Even so a 6 foot slasher would feel extremely heavy on a 135

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 7 months ago #225538 by wee-allis
The one I was referring to Paul, is the one in the shot of the damaged tractor. I'd guess somewhere between15 to 20 foot.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225542 by Mrsmackpaul
Didnt even notice that until you mentioned now :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

That would take some spinning

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
2 years 7 months ago #225547 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Where's all the projects?
I put my twin drum hay mower on my newly restored ford dexta, (blue fergy) very scary, it got up to speed eventually then took over, could not stop, the mower drove the back end of the tractor, brakes no help, just had to let it run down. Dexta found a new financially advantageous home.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: oliver1950

More
2 years 7 months ago #225548 by wee-allis
Happens with single stage clutch tractors. Many a fence knocked over and tractors into dams with grey fergies too. And my little Yanma also.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hayseed

More
2 years 7 months ago #225549 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic Where's all the projects?
So how do you know what size slasher or mower to get? Im looking at a large block at the moment so will have to get something of the like if I buy it.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225558 by 180wannabe
600Dodge, it depends on the size and weight of your tractor, and it's horsepower, but if you are thinking a 3 point linkage type unit then ideally you want a slasher that is at least as wide as the tractors wheel track, or for smaller tractors, a 3PL slasher that is offset to one side so that you can cut up against a fence or treeline. Anything too heavy on the 3PL of a light tractor is not ideal as it can make the steering too vague, to the point of being dangerous.

If you have a mid size+ tractor, and relatively large area to cut where it is easy to go round and round, then a small (8-10') offset trailed unit might be more suitable. At least with an offset trailed unit the tractor wheels aren't running over half of what you are trying to cut down.

For tractors that don't have a 2 stage clutch, i believe there are "over-run" clutch attachments that fit into the PTO shaft connection to stop the slasher pushing the tractor on.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225560 by wee-allis
You are right Wannabe, those overrun clutch do solve the problem and are not very expensive. Bare-co, Wagga Tractors and like places sell them, or you can get them through your local tractor or rural outlet. Well worth the money, even if just for the safety factor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.503 seconds