Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Looking for acco tilt cab spring setup 08 Sep 2021 19:59 #225552

• Dave_64
  • Dave_64's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 419
Hi All, suggested on here when converting the Karrier Bantam cab to a full tilt, that may be worth looking at something similar to Acco tilt cab spring setup. Have the winch, mast set up , awaiting arrival of Dyneema rope to replace existing steel cable. Principle is good, execution leaves a bit to be desired. Was looking at the idea of some sort of coil spring as either an assist or maybe even shelve the cable idea altogether, but put a fair effort into it already, ( had two boat 12 volt winches here). If anyone is run ing an Acco Inter with that helper spring setup, would appreciateit If I could see either photos or diagrams. You blokes are usually pretty good at coming to the fore. Thanks, Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Looking for acco tilt cab spring setup 08 Sep 2021 21:09 #225561

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Thank you received: 1302
Been a few years since I have seen one, around 30 plus years, pretty sure it was like two coil car springs and they were smaller on each end
The springs were under the floor in between the chassis rails
Unwound two long bolts, one behind the drivers legs and the other behind the passenger legs

These slid out forwards but still just hung in there
Open the doors to transfer the weight and the cab lifting was as lite as a feather with doors open

Sorry no photo

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Looking for acco tilt cab spring setup 08 Sep 2021 22:03 #225565

• 180wannabe
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 132
Hi Dave, i have just got a new computer and of course it won't talk properly to my camera photo program, but i will try and email you a couple of pics i already have, and can take some more specific photos for you if i am able to email them. Brett.

Looking for acco tilt cab spring setup 09 Sep 2021 03:23 #225571

• Dave_64
Brett,
Just looking again at those photos you sent, there is quite a gap where the Acco cabin swivel points and the radiator is located, a space I don't have, not without major surgery. I could maybe sit an old coil spring on the chassis rail whilst the chain block and/or winch is still hooked up, see how that tests out.
Looks like they install them by having the cabin at full tilt and then compressing the coils like you do when your replacing front suspension coils a la Holden or similar. On reasonable terms with a local wrecker so if I snivel up to him, he may let me try a few different coils he has kicking around, as I said, be interesting to see how much difference it makes, maybe only that the winch may work a little easier. Dave_64
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

Last edit: by Dave_64.

Looking for acco tilt cab spring setup 09 Sep 2021 09:16 #225577

• Bluey60
  • Thank you received: 118
Dave thinking outstanding the square is there anywhere you could mount a couple of torsion bars off a rodeo or something near the pivot point to give you a bit of push

Bluey

Looking for acco tilt cab spring setup 09 Sep 2021 09:38 #225579

• Morris
  • Thank you received: 562
Dave_64 My mate has a latish Acco (I have no idea what year or model as I am not into them) When he bought it, is was very heavy to tilt the cab and on looking he found that one of the coil springs was broken. He took the spring out and spent quite a long time welding it. He had a lot of trouble getting the spring back in as you have at least two hands up under the cab floor while your other two or three hands install the bolts while the owner of them sits on the ground underneath. I am a bit tall, so I provided two hands under the floor while leaning over the tyre and he is small enough to sit underneath and work the spanners. When finished and with both cab doors open, it is easy for one person to release the locking leaver and tilt the cab, and then to put it back down. From memory the centre section of the cab floor containing the gear leaver stayed in place and there were no other parts, other than hinges, in the tilting mechanism. Mate was pretty pissed off a couple of weeks later when we cleaned out the mess an evicted tenant had left to find several perfectly good car coil springs.
I cannot get to the truck to get pictures until covid travel restrictions lift (I think Friday) but Mrs M and I have taken advantage of the lifting to book several days away from Saturday. If you need pictures or more information let me know. I can ask mate for details over the phone, or take pictures when I get home.
I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Looking for acco tilt cab spring setup 09 Sep 2021 21:48 #225618

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 949
From my aageing and failing memory the coil springs for the cab tilting on an old 510A I drove many years ago were very openly wound and no where near as heavy in gauge or coils that a coil suspension spring has. I tend to think the gap between the cols when the cab is tilted was around 4"/100mm.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, overnite

Looking for acco tilt cab spring setup 09 Sep 2021 22:15 #225625

• Sarge :-X
  • Thank you received: 302
Dave, what chance some long strong gas struts would do the job.... not as obtainable as some re-purposed coils from a mate but maybe easier to fit.
Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64

Looking for acco tilt cab spring setup 10 Sep 2021 00:03 #225628

• Dave_64
Yeah, understand about the " loosely wound coils" in the Acco application, very limited space to fit them in my application
Sitting front coil springs on the chassis would be one way of testing the effect, but would be way ro short in reach.
Gas struts I dont know about, if they were to be installed, may as well use a long reach hydraulic ram off somethinglike an engine crane.
Tried one of those I have here,not enough travel for what I wanted
Had one old boat winch here and bought another, works good in principle, looks a bit daggy though.
Also utilising a lot of what I have lying around here.
Dave

Looking for acco tilt cab spring setup 10 Sep 2021 06:36 #225634

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
  • Thank you received: 1832
Try a cupla leaf springs under tension wen cab is down
may B the leaf spring with a twist in it under tension

cya
OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Time to create page: 0.310 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558