Skip to main content

KM Bedford parts wanted.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227008 by Morris
A fellow I have known for many years just helped with a problem with my computer, so I owe him a favour. He is mostly into 1920's to 1940's sports cars but has a few other interests as well.

Some time ago he took a shackle pin and the shackle, from a KM Bedford 30 CWT single rear wheel truck to a well known parts supplier in Melboring. They convinced him to leave the parts there and they would get back to him about new shackle pins. Of course they did not, and when he went in to ask about progress they had lost the parts.

He needs a new rear shackle and a set of pins for a KM. He needs a new rear main spring leaf. I put him on to Morwell Spring Works for that. He was very worried that the steering has two inches of freeplay at the wheel and asked if there is a way to take up the slack, or would he have to get a new steering box. I told him that two inches is well within tolerance for a truck.
He says the window channels etc. have been removed from the doors by a previous owner, so he needs new mechanisms or replacement doors. He would consider a complete or reasonably complete KM.

He is in the south eastern suburbs of Melboring but I am sure he would travel to get the bits he needs so get them out from under your bed and let me know what you have.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227011 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic KM Bedford parts wanted.
The shackles should be an easy part to reproduce. The bailey channel should be readily available at many rubber suppliers and spare parts places by the metre or does he need the winders as well?

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227017 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic KM Bedford parts wanted.
Morris,

Shackles and pins: Try ACW Bedford in Bayswater. For parts inquiries, they will only respond to emails.

Springs; Carrolls in Broadmeadows. Possibly Spicers in Knoxfield. It depends on the size and whether they have the steel.

A lot of steering play can be in the tierod ends. Again, ACW or UK ebay (.co.uk) There is a really good bloke in Cypress that has a great source of ebay parts and good to deal with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 5 months ago #227027 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic KM Bedford parts wanted.
Bedford model names can get confusing. The KM monicker is often used for the detroit powered TK cabbed, double bumper model whereas I think you might be talking about a K model nearly 30 years older (??) so little wonder that he is having trouble.
If it is a K model the restorers on this forum may have one on a donor chassis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Morris

More
2 years 5 months ago #227063 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic KM Bedford parts wanted.
Mammoth I think you are right. I did wonder about the KM but he seemed to be sure. I have not seen the truck but the earlier K model sounds right. The later KM was much bigger than 30CWT and certainly has dual wheels.

I have texted previous information to the owner and when he replies, I will quiz him for year and why he thinks it is a KM.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Time to create page: 0.432 seconds