Skip to main content

Driver sued by company over accident

More
2 years 5 months ago #227039 by Swanny
He will have to give up truck driving & try some other employment to pay his big bill

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #227045 by wee-allis
Saw a bumper sticker once and have tried to get on ever since. Simply said:
"COULD YOU DRIVE ANY BETTER WITH THAT PHONE UP YOUR ARSE."
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by wee-allis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul

More
2 years 5 months ago #227046 by asw120
The only issue with disabling phones completely while the car is running is how they are used by businesses today. No longer do tradesmen have company radios in the vans - everything is done on the phone. All of Otis' vehicles have bluetooth connections, so (theoretically) no need to look at the phone while driving to answer it - it comes up on the radio. I believe most trade-type businesses operate this way. Some of us receive emergency calls during the day; in my case, people stuck in lifts. These calls need to be taken immediately and can be, all without looking at, or touching the phone.
Texting while driving, on the other hand - probably about the most dangerous thing you could do.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #227047 by Lang
Doesn't change the fact you are a menace on the road. All it needs is an alert beep that you have an incoming call. Thirty seconds to pull over and answer the call might save somebody's life. It would take no time at all for the telephone people to produce an answer service to automatically answer a call saying "The person called is currently driving and aware of your call and will contact you as soon as possible "

Lang
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Lang.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227051 by hayseed
https://uploads.neatorama.com/images/posts/653/109/109653/Friendly-Reminder-from-a-Trucker-Put-Your-Phone-Down_0-x.jpg?v=11774

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, oliver1950

More
2 years 5 months ago #227053 by Lang
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Normanby, V8Ian, oliver1950

More
2 years 5 months ago #227055 by Mrsmackpaul

The only issue with disabling phones completely while the car is running is how they are used by businesses today. No longer do tradesmen have company radios in the vans - everything is done on the phone. All of Otis' vehicles have bluetooth connections, so (theoretically) no need to look at the phone while driving to answer it - it comes up on the radio. I believe most trade-type businesses operate this way. Some of us receive emergency calls during the day; in my case, people stuck in lifts. These calls need to be taken immediately and can be, all without looking at, or touching the phone.
Texting while driving, on the other hand - probably about the most dangerous thing you could do.

Jarrod.

End of the day some one stuck in a lift isnt a emergency, they are going no where, they are safe

If the government are fare dinkum about phones in cars all the jobs you described would just go back to the way they were before phones

Not having a go at you, just saying it like it is, it can be done as it was done for many many years

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris

More
2 years 5 months ago #227057 by cobbadog
I agree with the phones not being allowed to used when driving except for the bluetooth connection use as a phone call only. I find them quite safe to use to receive calls. If I need to make a call then I pull over.
This brings me to ask about the use of UHF radios while driving. There was an interesting conversation on the radio the other day about how it is illegal to hold a phone and talk into it and be fined if caught but is ok to use a UHF radio. What is the difference?

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allan

More
2 years 5 months ago #227058 by JOHN.K.
On one of the reality cop shows (NSW?) anyhoo ,cops book a van driver for using a phone ,.....about 10 minutes later ,they see him again using a phone .......pull him over again ...he says ...this one is OK ,its my work phone.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227061 by Bluey60
Jarrod
Saw a good one a while back old mate riding along on his motorbike left hand up and centre texting away
Maybe not as deadly for others road users but it would make a mess that some poor bugger would have to clean up

Cheers Bluey

Time to create page: 0.481 seconds