Skip to main content

Driver sued by company over accident

More
2 years 5 months ago #227101 by mammoth
In Beijing where pretty well all vehicles are electric, and other Chinese cities, what you used to see on TV was millions of bicycles are now motor scooters. At night they rarely have their lights on but you can see them from the glow on their faces from their phones. Amazing that the expected gore and carnage didn't happen, only saw one rear end bingle in the whole 10 days I was there

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227106 by Gryphon
Cobba,

it is a state law thing because we followed it up and there is no distinction about what you are holding.

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #227120 by asw120
Paul sed:
End of the day some one stuck in a lift isnt a emergency, they are going no where, they are safe

If the government are fare dinkum about phones in cars all the jobs you described would just go back to the way they were before phones

Not having a go at you, just saying it like it is, it can be done as it was done for many many years

Paul

Depends on the situation. The people stuck in the lifts don't see it that way. Certainly the hospitals and nursing homes don't. My local regional hospital actually lost a patient due to the time they were stuck in a lift while in cardiac arrest.
The biggest demands for response times actually come from (no surprise) the ivory tower high-rise office buildings, technically one of the least important entrapment calls.
As you say, the government could mandate things differently and the businesses would have no choice but to comply. We used to have two-way radios with a dedicated company channel. It was frighteningly expensive ($10K a year 30 years ago), but that was the technology of the time.
I figure if you're not having to look at the phone, or reach for it to answer it, it's a risk I accept (no choice) and one the government and the insurance companies accept. If I have to look away from the road, I'm not answering it. Pulling over on Ipswich Road isn't going to happen either (unsafe to pull out again). Luckily the bluetooth is pretty reliable and the work calls are usually 10 to 20 seconds to acknowledge the job.
Ignoring my personal phone when it rings 4 - 5 times back to back because my wife wants to urgently tell me a strange car passed the house very slowly - well, I have to put up with that when I forget to put it on silent! Text goes off? That can wait, too. Company phone - no choice (as long as the bluetooth's working). It's how businesses operate and the employees have no say in it. Sometimes it's safe to pull over, sometimes it isn't (or you're stuck in a traffic jam). Don't answer the company phone in a timely manner? Up before the manager.
Just putting out how it is for those of us in my position, not trying to be agumentative.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by asw120.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227122 by Lang
Steve

You must have been there on a good day.

Australia has 7.4 deaths per 100,000 vehicles.

China has 104.5 deaths per 100,000 vehicles

Lang

More
2 years 5 months ago #227168 by Zuffen
I've seen some pretty major accidents in China.

Look at videos of poor driving, it's either Russia or China for 90% of the clips.

Time to create page: 0.541 seconds