Skip to main content

RUST in the deck

More
2 years 5 months ago #227465 by cobbadog
RUST in the deck was created by cobbadog
Well the last time Lorry went for his annual medical check up for rego it was pointed out that the deck had some rust and he asked that it be repaired. So here is the offending rust, 3/5ths of bugga all and just where you cannot load anything onto and allow it to fall through. It was under the big tool box I carry my straps in and a few other bits and pieces. I glad I have caught it so early before the world fall through it and never be seen again.
So off with the tool box and measure up for the piece of checker plate to replace it and then I decided to remove all the light channel iron between the deck and the coaming which is there as a filler to stop tractors falling through.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227467 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic RUST in the deck
Now Cobba, when you replace the checker plate, make sure that you match up the pattern so it still looks like one single sheet and is up to your usual standard..
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, asw120

More
2 years 5 months ago #227482 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic RUST in the deck
Now why did I know that someone here would point this out and put me on the spot. I am planning o go across to the join in the middle so guessing that is around 1200 wide and then back to a cross member which maybe a little more than 1200 maybe up to 1500 long. If they have an off cut around the same size it will be what it will be, sorry.
Right now I have been having fun with the MIG welders. I ahd an old one which decided to fry some components in the circuit board and over time and with a heap of help I got it running again. I wanted to then set the old MIG up as a gasless welder using flux cored wire. Played around for a while with the settings and managed a heap oooof spatter which it seems is normal but the pidgeon poop it or I layed down was not good enough for me. Then the bloody thing went to God again and stop feeding wire due to a circuitry issue again. So it will be stored away and the new MIG which at the moment is set up with gas is now the one and only MIG. So because this is being done out in the open and we normally get a bit of wind and its not always mine using gas outside will be a challenge so I will be playing inside the shed and set it up as gasless and start playing with the settings. Once happy then I will do the welding job. I only have a couple of short chances to do this this week as I am taking Dee up the coast for a few days and she is having her 2nd cataract operation done then home late Saturday.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227484 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic RUST in the deck
Save all that stuffing around just paint the deck with rust converter and get a bigger tool box.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, ianoz

More
2 years 5 months ago #227491 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic RUST in the deck
If winds a issue go the old faithful stick welder, they are a little slower but still hold their own with any MIG or just set up some quick wind breaks with boxes etc, it doesnt take a lot

I have been known to just crank the gas flow right up when in a hurry, it doesn't really help but feels good lol

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 5 months ago #227494 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic RUST in the deck
Yep organise wind breaks and will be ok. Work out a strategy to account for expansion so you don't end up with buckled plate, and might be an idea to put some drain holes in or you could get really sophisticated and weld in some chain pockets for tying down the tractor.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227495 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic RUST in the deck

Save all that stuffing around just paint the deck with rust converter and get a bigger tool box.

Either That, Or; pretend you're a Cocky & Tek screw a patch over It..!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
2 years 5 months ago #227504 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic RUST in the deck

Either That, Or; pretend you're a Cocky & Tek screw a patch over It..!!

Getting flash now, must of been a good season, Tek screws, really showing off today

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
2 years 5 months ago #227513 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic RUST in the deck
OK Mammoth, more info required.... It hadn't occurred to me that there would be that much expansion in a checker plate sheet... what is the trick. It might explain the hump in my tray.
Do we need a detailed video from Cobba for us mugs...... probably....

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 5 months ago #227517 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic RUST in the deck
You lot are totally mad, maybe thats why I fit in too.
Well a sheet of checker plate followed me home today. I know I only need a small amount but I just know I will use it for something and the small extra cost for a whole sheet was the better option. I do have a great little electronic arc welder and more sticks than I can poke a stick at. (pun intended) but I do like the continuous welding with no flux to chip off.
As for expansion there is about a 20mm gap in from the coaming rail so it can be fully welded along 2 sides and the expansion can head out towards the coaming. Then I can do a couple of small runs underneath, yes overhead welds, to attach it to the cross members. I cleaned up the tool box today and hit it with some satin black epoxy paint and will do the other sides after we get back from the Macksville run. That paint takes a few days to cure properly and since I'm not in a hurry thats fine.
There will be no video of me stuffing up the welds, sorry. As a welder I make a great cake in the kitchen, but I have not had one let go yet. As a compromise, I will take pics of the mess I make.

The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.595 seconds