Skip to main content

RUST in the deck

More
2 years 5 months ago #227527 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic RUST in the deck
Underneath should be fine to do with the MIG as you wont get much more sheltered than there
I like WIA 12 P rods, flux just about falls off and they seem give a good strong weld that doesn't fatigue the metal much around them

I have welded all my own ringfeder hitches etc on over the years and as far as I know they are still attached and working and all done with a stick welder

I remember re - drawbaring laser scoops and my mate was on his MIG at one end and I was on the stick welder at the other, he was definitely quicker

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227531 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic RUST in the deck
Sarge, I will leave it to the professionals for advice on the correct way to go about welding down sheet/floor plate. When I did my semi with 2.5mm plate I started off by drilling holes through the plate to do a kind of spot weld to the runners, working outwards, then doing some stitching around the perimeter - enough to secure alignment. And as I am useless at overhead I tipped the semi on it's side and and stitch welded the plate to the runners, then back on it's feet to run round joining the edges up. Only a couple of small patches where it drums as you walk over it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, IHScout, 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 5 months ago #227538 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic RUST in the deck
Mammoth, I think I might have been close to what you did, does it need to be a neat/tight fit for best result or a couple of mm gap along one or more sides.
I have surprised myself welding other stuff even though clamped then tacked only to find it twisted, but I have only repaired broken welds on the ACCO tray It is a bit sad from misuse and abuse.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 5 months ago #227544 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic RUST in the deck
You guys are trying to scare me aren't you?

Well I will show you how not to do it!

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227549 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic RUST in the deck

You guys are trying to scare me aren't you?

Well I will show you how not to do it!

That Bigger Toolbox & some Tek Screws are beginning to Look Attractive ,are they Cobba...???

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 5 months ago #227559 by cobbadog
The tool box got a coat of flat black epoxy paint today ready to go back in place. Will wait until I get back from having Dees operation done before having a go at the job. I'm not really scared, just terrified, not.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227836 by cobbadog
Got back from town today too late to start playing with the welder so I attacked the deck and marked and cut it along the chalk lines before the rain washed it off. I have yet to cut through to the edge of the sheet that goes under the coaming rail and I was too lazy to get under Lorry to see if this section is tack welded to the beams anywhere. Tool box is now painted in Satin Black Epoxy paint and is nice and dry.
As expected when trying to marry up patterns I think there is a difference between imperial and metric patterns on the sheets so no pattern match. Dee will give me heaps over this as she pattern matches all the time making curtains.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tim, Mrsmackpaul

More
2 years 5 months ago #227859 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic RUST in the deck
Kids crayons stay on a lot longer in rain etc tban chalk

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
2 years 5 months ago #227867 by cobbadog
Paul, I pulled me finger out and got it cut. Next will be bring out the plasma cutter to get under the coaming. Didn't use the plasma to do the cuts because I did not want to cut the cross beams that run underneath. Plus I wanted some nice clean edge to butt against.

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #228064 by cobbadog
Got back to the floor today and started with the el cheapo plasma cutter, which is a beauty. I have been having trouble uploading pics so they will have to wait until I get sorted out. There are a lot of funny little cut out which is where I cut the fillet welds from below the floor then got back up top to finish them off.

Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by cobbadog.

Time to create page: 0.614 seconds