Skip to main content

Commer 5 speed shift pattern

More
2 years 5 months ago #227752 by 600Dodge
Does anyone know what the shift pattern for the Commer 5 speed in a Dodge actually is? Its not in the workshop manuals and trawling back through the forum gives lots of different "ideas" but nothing conclusive.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227753 by hayseed
I spent a fair bit of Time driving one 35(odd) Years ago, & have a funny feeling It's the one on the Top LHS... (But I wouldn't take that to the Bank Though)

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 5 months ago #227761 by JOHN.K.
I think middle top......the 6 speed Commer box just had some extra bits tacked on the back.......the 5 speed part was a copy of the IH T35 box,only bigger......I have one in the yard......but its 40 years since it went.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227767 by 600Dodge
Can anyone shed some light on a turner 5 speed gearbox for me please. The brass I'd plate says it is a T5 A2811

The shift pattern is. R 2. 5
1. 3. 4. It as around the corner between 3 & 4. The main thing I am trying to find out is if it is an overdrive box?

Thanks

Harpo

The above is what I found on the forum from circa 2010. Mine doesn't feel like conventional H pattern, reverse is right and back but nothing else feels like it in order, last time I drove it I was having clutch hydraulics issues which Ive since fixed but I was hoping for some certainty on the shift pattern before she roars into life again.

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #227768 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Commer 5 speed shift pattern
From my Commers I do not believe the 5 speed was overdrive, you had to get the 6 speed Knocker box (just a bolt-on fitting on the standard 5 speed to give you the 6th overdrive but the shift was still in sequence in the expanding "H" with no funny operation like other overdrive add-ons.. The 1969 Perkins Commer I sold ;last year had a 6 speed overdrive box (retrofitted by "someone" from a Knocker) and it turned it into a 90kmh cruise truck.

If they are in good order you will not find a nicer gearbox in any truck. Such an improvement over the crash gearboxes of the generation before.

Lang
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Lang.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227770 by 600Dodge
Ive just done some shed and yard shuffling so I can get mine out easily, might have to try a bit of tentative driveway tests first.

More
2 years 5 months ago #227779 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Commer 5 speed shift pattern
I'm pretty sure it was a five speed Turner in the 1970 Ford I had. Non overdrive. I do not know how to put pictures or diagrams up here but if you think of an extended H pattern with Reverse at top left, Ist below that, Forth at top centre, Fifth at bottom centre, Second at top right and Third at bottom right. You may have to draw it as an extended H to understand it. I found it un-natural to drive but at least I did not go to sleep when going through the gears!

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
2 years 5 months ago #227781 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Commer 5 speed shift pattern
Morris

The Tturner in the Commers did not have that weird pattern and were perfectly straight forward in natural progression. Your shift pattern is nearly as weird as the WW2 GMC 6x6.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #227787 by JOHN.K.
Turner boxes were licence built copies of American Clarks .....and a right POS.......in fact Mobil used to import genuine Clark boxes to replace the Turners in D series Fords......Tuner synchro s fall to pieces and wreck the box............Somewhat later ,Spicer (Dana) bought Turner ,and the odd one piece housing boxes fitted to later ACCOs are Spicer Turners.......still a POS,and Turners were sold to Caterpillar ...who closed them down.......Bedford 5 speeds are Turners...and some were overdrive.
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by JOHN.K..

More
2 years 5 months ago #227792 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Commer 5 speed shift pattern

I'm pretty sure it was a five speed Turner in the 1970 Ford I had. Non overdrive. I do not know how to put pictures or diagrams up here but if you think of an extended H pattern with Reverse at top left, Ist below that, Forth at top centre, Fifth at bottom centre, Second at top right and Third at bottom right. You may have to draw it as an extended H to understand it. I found it un-natural to drive but at least I did not go to sleep when going through the gears!
Morris, I drove one of those many, many years ago. It also had a two speed diff and IIRC, 1, 2 and 3 were split progressively; from 4 low the next ratio was 5 low, then 4 high, 5 high. As you said, kepy one on one's toes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.487 seconds