Skip to main content

King pins for Karrier Bantam

More
2 years 4 months ago #227954 by Mrsmackpaul

because if the pin and bushes are worn then the axle has done some work and there is a reasonable possibility the eye where the bushes are located may by now be distorted.

But as my mate Swishy would say Wot would I know Rex

I reckon Rex has hit the nail on the head here, in my mind anyway

I think that the reason bronze bushes are used and reamed out is that during the normal course of a vehicles working life the hole in the axle is gunna change shape, just as engine changes shape from new and gets machined when getting rebuilt to make it square and true again

So if my peanut of a brain is thinking correctly the bronze bush is pressed in and it is sort of egg shaped, if any of you lot of done king pins you will know that the first pass thru the reamer binds and grabs and carries on, with each pass it becomes smoother and smoother until it just glides thru neatly shaving a poofteenth off each time

I have never pulled a king pin out with noticeable marks on them so I doubt the pins actually wear at all, you cant put a over sized pin in as it would fit thru the stub axle

Now me been me and not knowing bugger and been as rough as guts I cant see why you cant just push bronze bush in, the type of bush you get from any bearing shop and then just ream to size, bung a hole in for the grease to get in and if you really want a couple of lines on the bush for grease just put these in with a die grinder once the reaming is done

No need to over complicate things by getting really technical and re inventing the wheel here

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #227955 by Mrsmackpaul

Can you ream neoprene?

No it would be to soft and just defelect out of the way, reaming is like shaving a tiny bit off

Paul

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64

More
2 years 4 months ago #227976 by JOHN.K.
The plastic bushes Ive seen (Rockwell) were (IMHO) hard white nylon,or some other rigid plastic..........now I know there are a million different kinds of plastic ,but i dont see neoprene as a suitable material......I know some of old car replacements use hard polyurethane ,but i dont see this being hard enough for a truck either.........If you could just buy stock bronze bushes ,it would be a lot more economical........Sinter may be OK,but Id go with solid.........there are many grades of sinter ,with just one available from bearing shops.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64

More
2 years 4 months ago #227980 by rex
Replied by rex on topic King pins for Karrier Bantam
Hello again I have been here twice in the same week but this incredibly simple problem interests me.
If you were to use plastic the range where it would yield would be somewhere between 20 and 80 MPA and bear in mind I have only included types that would be suitable in a bushing application simple old bronze that has been around long before anyone could even spell plastic is 125 MPA.
We use AUSTLON with oil in a number of applications but always with a stainless or chrome plated pin because rust is the biggest problem with plastic so long as it does not extrude (working beyond it's yield it is a very good material.
All that aside shove a couple of bronze bushes in clean them up with a new pin if there is any wear in the old one and make sure you have fastened the tilt cab down and go for a drive.
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, 180wannabe, cobbadog, Dave_64, Morris, Mrsmackpaul

More
2 years 4 months ago #227984 by overnite
Thanks Paul, I know what reaming is, spent part of my apprenticeship doing them, but wasn’t sure that reaming would work on neoprene. Thanks

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #227988 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic King pins for Karrier Bantam
Dave,

If you're stuck, try these guys. www.fjbushings.com.au/

They made me a inner race for the rear pinion bearing in the Bedford diff. 2 thou smaller ID and same OD as the supplied original. Rotational ground and hardened. The original was spinning on the pinion landing.
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by jon_d.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, PaulFH

More
2 years 4 months ago #227990 by cobbadog
It has been a very long time since I have had anything to do with polyurethane and their hardnesses but in general they ran from just over 50 on the Shaw "A" reading through to 92. The lower the number the softer the material so 50 was soft like neoprene and the 92 almost as hard as nylon. We used it on forklift tyres at 68 - 72 hardness which is an average hardness for tread rubber on tyres. There would be too much deflection to try and ream neoprene. Even the average nylon would not be the best product to use for a bush in a king pin in my opinion.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 4 months ago #228024 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic King pins for Karrier Bantam
Dave, have you tried Midland truck spares, they looked like they were still trading when I drove past last week. They just might have what you need or can adapt in stock.

And Paul, reaming in my previous life was done mostly with something like a pineapple and great vigor, to achief major results..

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
2 years 4 months ago #228026 by Mrsmackpaul

And Paul, reaming in my previous life was done mostly with something like a pineapple and great vigor, to achief major results..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :dry:

So was it rough at the start and get smoothet with each time it passed ?

Paul

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, V8Ian

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #228027 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic King pins for Karrier Bantam
Very smooth at the end, so smooth you didn't even know you were now being f@#$ed over.

I am surprised we didn't learn about bushing at the same time.... or was that our failing, those that learned bushing became king pins in charge of reaming..... should a asked you blokes years ago.....

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Sarge.

Time to create page: 0.615 seconds