Skip to main content

Dave_64's Drive about truck pictures.

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #228853 by Dave_64
Don't know if this a closed topic, but thought I'd throw it up and see what happens
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by hayseed.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #228863 by Dave_64
Spotted at Miners Rest (Vic.) earlier today, got the better of me, had to have a sticky!
Old roadhouse, now a truck garage, mechanic was good enough to let me take a cupla photos, for some reason could only load these two.
Was told it was an International, vintage unknown, "V190".... 546 cu in V8 petrol engine, 5 speed O.D main trans with 2 speed (Hi-Lo) Joey) probably Fuller, looked like a Rockwell on a Hendrickson, either 38 or 44.
Front grille and butterfly bonnet threw me, hadn't seen anything quite like it before.
One piece bench seat, dash spread over what would be OUR passenger side, so possibly a conversion?
Huge carby, looked like a 4 gallon drum bolted to manifold! (or at least a one gallon drum!)
Mechanic said engine still ticked over NOT FOR SALE! Garage owners pet.
Will try and add a cuple more photos in a seperate post
Dave_64
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Dave_64.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, Brocky45

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #228868 by Dave_64
Couple more.
Attachments:

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #228869 by Dave_64
Last few.

More I look at it and think on it, maybe this was one of those early ex_RAAF or even an ex_USAF jigger?
Looking at the steering column, looks like a made up one
Anyone throw any more light on it?
Mechanics were busy and boss was out at the time. they were good enough to let me grab some photos so didn't want to make a tool of myself
Dave_64
Attachments:

More
2 years 3 months ago #228871 by Lang
Looks like they were 90% R-190, R-200 etc. Built at the same time but had the bodywork widened to take the V8 engine. They look pretty common in USA

The R-series served as the basis for other model ranges, including the V-series; introduced in 1956, the V-series was developed to accommodate the introduction of V8 engines from International, receiving a slightly restyled hood and redesigned grille.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, Brocky45

More
2 years 3 months ago #228874 by 600Dodge
I think the yanks call them 549s? not common out here it seems our petrol was probably always too expensive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
2 years 3 months ago #228878 by Dave_64
Just on the gearboxes in this old girl, if they are original, probably no reason to think otherwise, must have been pretty low geared.
I'd have to dig a few old Yank wokshop manuals out, but IF it is geared by Fuller, and the plate is saying it's the overdrive version the joey box even though marked "Hi" and "Lo", could well be an underdrive and direct box, although not unknown to also have an overdrive main as well as an overdrive joey with extremely low geared diffs, a la some early "B" model Macks.
Just guessing here....

More
2 years 3 months ago #228884 by cobbadog
Definitely a conversion jobbie. Glovebox lid right in front of the steering column.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #228888 by Brocky45
Lang is correct. The IH Compfovision cab was introduced up here in the States in 1950 and was used into the early 60's. This cab was also used by Diamond T, Hendrickson, FWD, Oshkosh, and several others. When IH created the "V" model with V-8 petrol engines they changed the R model grille, fenders (guards), and used those oblong turn signals as shown in Dave's pictures. There were several V-8 engines, but the big one was 549 CI to compete with the Ford 534 CI Super Duty engine. They would pass everything but a gas station!!!! About 2 MPG!! And run with a 220 Cummins. If the gear boxes are the same as I drove in a 1966 R model, the Joey was a 3 speed, BUT the underdrive was so low you could not use it progressively.. A second look at the shift diagram plate this looks like it had some oddball gear boxes with low and reverse on the right side?? The data plate says US Property on the bottom left corner, so I am speculating that it was originally US Military????
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Brocky45.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Dave_64, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
2 years 3 months ago #228903 by Dave_64
Main transmission shift pattern not all that unusual, many makers used the "round the corner" shift from 2nd to 3rd in case of 4 speed (Spicer for one), or 3rd to 4th in the case of 5 speed O/D boxes ( many makers) and then straight forward towards dash for overdrive ( or "top").
Interesting how this was adopted into general use.
Read somewhere that when the US was gearing up for the imminent war, had just about every vehicle manufacturer on board (and they were too numerous to list), but they just about all utilised transmissionse, both main and auxilliary which were supposed to have similar components and spec's.
Thinking behind it was in a crisis, they could pull a bloke from just about anywhere and throw him in a drivers seat!
Maybe someone like Lang or Brocky45 can add a bit here.
Dave_64

Time to create page: 0.595 seconds