Skip to main content

Dave_64's Drive about truck pictures.

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #228915 by Dave_64
Going through the "Bible", war time truck engines and components, lots of manufacturers produced "in-house" running gear.
White, Dodge, Autocar, International just to mention a few.
After the cessation of hostilities, North America was probaly the only country not decimated by shortages, swung over to full production relatively easy.
So, if the "V190" was introduced around the 1950 era, probably lots of stock sitting in warehouses which could be utilised.
Maybe the components in this truck were std Inter stock?
That great thumping V8, along with the 2 mpg Ford was probably running on very cheap low grade fuel.! What did they used to call it? "Mexican Crud"?
Also some pretty hefty in-line petrols made same era, Hall-Stott made some big six bangers, they even had some of them running LPG and
Natural gas on irrigation and pumping duties.
Wouldnt have happened here, economy and cost per mpg would have seen to that, I'd guess.
Although quite a lot of ex-service trucks got about as surplus stock.
I'd imagine some of those old petrol Diamond T's weren't exactly economical.
Dave_64
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Dave_64.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #228917 by Lang
From my experience looking at WW2 there was very little built by the major manufacturers in the vehicle area that was not existing equipment on their pre-war vehicles. Lots of multi-drive conversions and of course simplified bodywork (usually on standard civilian cabs) but very hard to find engines and gear boxes that were not in use prior to the military contract.

By 1950 they were long past using excess WW2 stuff for new production and the huge model changes across the board 47-50 saw time marching on. The big 3 of course still had the same basic engines that originated in the early 30's in their standard offerings well into the 50's.

Lang
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Lang.

More
2 years 4 months ago #228918 by Dave_64
So, you reckon by 1950 odd, all that old ex-military components would have been shuffled to surplus stock?
In the US, I mean.
Seems like a hell of a lot of gear turned up places like here, Europe, Britain etc.
I can dig a huge domestic boom in the automobile (car) sectors, after all they had been starved of new vehicles during the war years and this has been well documented.
Whether the heavy transport followed the same track, I'm not sure of. Maybe so, it would seem from what I have read about that era that there was an incredible surge forward in the manufacturing of everything from vehicles to kitchen sinks!
I wonder just how much of that could be attributed to the psyche of the general population who had simply had enough of shortages and no new products?
Either way, it certainly didn't do the economy any harm!
Dave_64

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #228920 by Lang
The Americans were very smart the way they handled the manufacturing transition from war production to peace production. They could not possibly just cancel orders as it would have collapsed the economy.

Firstly, any orders by allied countries had to be completed. That is why Australia got a couple of thousand Studebaker trucks delivered 45-47 when the army had so many trucks we did not know what to do with them other than sell to the general population. The Studebakers were mothballed for 20 years. USA manufacturers kept most of their contracts and there are many photos of aircraft coming off the production line until late 1946, doing one flight to storage and immediately dismantled and wrecked the day they arrived

All the dumping of equipment that people yell about waste was purely to prevent it coming on the market to interfere with orders for the factories. Vast quantities of vehicles and gear were just given to numerous countries as "aid" to prevent their return to the USA market. Leaving stuff all over the place had nothing to do with the Americans being wasteful.

The agreements to end Lend Lease, in all the countries involved, absolutely prohibited any American equipment ever returning to USA

Lang
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Dave_64, PaulFH, Southbound, Brocky45

More
2 years 4 months ago #228936 by Dave_64
CORRECTION!
I made an earlier statement saying that the V190 was running an overdrive box!
This is incorrect, another look at the shift diagram proclaims it to be a DIRECT main transmission!
Dave_64
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
2 years 4 months ago #228960 by PaulFH
A few pic's from FB group, Old School Truckng in South West Vic.
Operated by Spikin Engineering. Thanks for their members posts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brocky45, Tassie Dan

More
2 years 4 months ago #228962 by Dave_64
Tidy looking old girl, Paul !
Any info available like what running gear ?
Read somewhere that the N/A Cummins 220 was a popular alternate.
Dave_64.

More
2 years 4 months ago #229003 by PaulFH
Will ask for details when I can track down the original poster Dave.
549 Cubes! Used to say in Motor Racing, no substitute for cubic inches.
Now it is no substitute for cubic dollars. Paul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64, oliver1950

More
2 years 4 months ago #229011 by Dave_64
Seems I remember someone telling me about Ron Hovey of Geelong, think it was one of his ex-drivers, running big cube Louisvilles on LPG back in the day.
Could be mistaken, but I'm sure this bloke reckoned they were over 500 cu-in.
He added that they used to go like cut cats but weren't the most reliable of conveyances!
Dave_64
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 4 months ago #229024 by 600Dodge
I think most of the petrol Louies were 477s.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.527 seconds