Skip to main content

How lite is Liteweight ?

More
2 years 3 months ago #230726 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic How lite is Liteweight ?

My old Commander was 73 ton rated. It was double railed, Cummins, RTO 12513, 44 Rockwells, RTE 380 on alloy beams. Front engine mount/cross member was cast alloy until I fabricated a three piece steel replacement. I could get the tare down to a whisker over 7.5 tonne. The reality was ready to roll, full of fuel, toolbox, spares and my gear took it to 8.1 tonne. Cab fibreglass and alloy, except for the steel doors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #230732 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic How lite is Liteweight ?
Bloke I was working for mid 70's, had Crouch's bring a lightweight White 9000 day cab poverty pack, 8V71, 15 speed R/Ranger, DS 380's on Hendrickson, and I mean basic basic!
Got an idea it only went around the 6.5 tonne mark.
Dave_64
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, V8Ian

More
2 years 3 months ago #230736 by Mrsmackpaul
I seem to recall and am after clarification here, aluminum chassis rails are fabricated not pressed

The Peterbilt I mention I'm pretty sure was fabricated rails not pressed, does this sound remotely right ?

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
2 years 3 months ago #230738 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic How lite is Liteweight ?
Id say its very likely the rails are rolled in the U shape,.....the other method is extrusion,which is possible.......all high strength alloys have to be heat treated to develop strength................Incidentally,didja know an aluminium bike frame is heat treated five times during fabrication to develop strength......which is why weld repairs always fail.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 3 months ago #230739 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic How lite is Liteweight ?
Paul, I'm fairly certain they're Extruded & have square corners..
We were talking about the KW two piece front chassis bits the other day & swishy put up a pic of the of the Chassis of the Seattle Star which has alloy Rails ..
I can't find the pic but Shows exactly what I mean..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #230750 by roKWiz
Replied by roKWiz on topic How lite is Liteweight ?
The alloy framed one in Wollongong I looked at had quite rounded edged compared to the US alloy chassis.
From memory the alloy rails are a lot deeper (and thicker of course) than the steel frame below.

alloy chassis 76 K125 VT903 TBB 8T

steel chassis 79 K125 8V71 TBB 8.4T

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by roKWiz.

More
2 years 3 months ago #230752 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic How lite is Liteweight ?
Alloy 10 stud wheels with tubeless tyres must make a considerable weightsaving over steel/iron spiders.

More
2 years 3 months ago #230756 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic How lite is Liteweight ?
Yes John, alloy wheels and tubeless tyres would be way up there on the Jenny Craig list and alloy fuel tanks.
Batteries? Leyland's loved 4x6volt batteries in a very heavy box. when AEC had 2x12volt in a light frame, plenty enough juice for starts.
Centre bearing? The Leyland setup must have weighed 100kg. Short jack shaft from the box then another not much longer to the diff. One shaft on SWB worked fine.
Then the Leyland handbrake setup. All up must have been another 100kg. Huge lever with linkages all the way to the air assist cross member and finally down to the brake boosters. A couple of maxis plus tank was way lighter.
Modern alloy front bars must be streets ahead of the old hot rolled channel and fabricated steel uprights.
Finally the spare tyre frame. Some wonderful designs there and typically the first item to get ditched when a turntable is fitted.

More
2 years 3 months ago #230761 by Mrsmackpaul
4th time lucky trying to reply

Hayseed you are probably 100% correct I recall that the Peterbilt I looked at had square edged rails unlike a normal pressed rail

A lot like roKWiz photo's, tah muchly for them

John I didn't know that about treddly frames and have really paid them any attention since getting my license :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

I reckon 10 stud alcoas and tubeless rims would have to make a huge difference, I wonder how they compare with alloy spiders and tubles rims

Jeffo the old battery x 4 weighs a bit, even times two weighs a bit

I know in the states you could get alloy airstart tanks for Macks, I doubt they sold many air start trucks let alone with alloy tanks, the reason I say that is they aren't much chop below freezing in my experience as the big air valve freezes up

Maxwell Ultra capacitors are apparently all the go these days, deep cycle batteries, (probably lithium now) to run the heater in the bunk when snoozing and it can run until completely flat and the Ultra Capacitor to start the truck

Alloy air tanks as well, mind you air tanks arent very heavy

Definitely worth exploring further

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
2 years 3 months ago #230765 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic How lite is Liteweight ?
I see the capacitor at the end of that video 3000 Farads, most used in electronics are in microfarads. I'm a bit surprised there isn't more of this.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.553 seconds