• Topic Author
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
2 years 3 months ago #230626 by Swishy
Now we have drifted off subject of KW 'S' model

Part D
Aparently the early days say 1950ish
Bill had a small low loader th@ a earth moving contractor requested some transport of his earthmoving machinery
A particuler Customer George H was a good friend of Jack O'T of wood chopping fame So Bill and Noel W went to Mount Lofty S.A. to fetch a cuple of loads of selected wood blocks to use @ the Melbourne Agriculture Show in the wood chopping events

abot that era he did a job with the Wanklin brothers to remove mine euipment from Bendigo to Radium Hill SA
there was a picture on the front of the bendigo newspaper (Copy of = still looking)

the poppet head appears to be supported on 44 Gallon drums (guessing the front drums were full of petrol and rear drums full of water

Bill twas asked to attend the Road Contractors Association meeting where by he was gladly greeted by potential customers
as there only a few other peoples trailers to transport and not very reliable or suitable and was not unusual to wait weeks for transport of there machines used in earth moving
Bill was able to offer a Low Loader service simular to a taxi cab service "U call We Haul" more Trucks and low loaders with subbies to tow and cart many varietys of machineinery
He bought a New White Mustang with a new tri axle Freighter Low Loader. he was able to afford the new rig as he tried something as a new idea in finance ... Leasing

H =Hyatt
O'T = O'tool
W=Wanklin

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, V8Ian, Brocky45

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #230630 by Mrsmackpaul
The White with the tri axle float would of been a big bit of gear back then Swishman

It is amazing how sometimes things flow along in life with no real plan yet work out okay

Thanks for sharing Swishy

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #230701 by Swishy
Thanx Mrs
This post now sounds like I'm beating my own drum
The Freighter 3 axle was the 1st 3 axle sold in Melbourne
it was a hi deck compared to the old low loaders of th@ era
it was on spring suspension and air hydraulic brakes ..... but th@ was all you could buy back then
Thanx for your interest

Part E
The Shell refinery @ Corio a suburb of Geelong was set up in 1954
before hand a few OS tanks were delivered from Coburg
Looks like checking clearance under tram wires @ Moonee Ponds Junction

Bill relised th@ the 3 axle Freighter was a heavy beast compared to the old tandem trailiers and decided to get a NR Mack with a 6-71 GM to get the beast moving

NR mack with a set of stix Low Loader loading a storage tank out of Ampol Spotswood
With my mother handling the bookings by phone and bookwork she was able to keep the subbies busy carting our regular customers earth moving machinery
while Bill was kept busy carting odd one off type loads etc
About this era Melbourne was growing with new houses and suburbs many houses were built on blocks of land and created problems of no made roads or storm water drains
so our earth moving customers were kept busy making new roads and drains between all the inhabited houses
1956 Melbourne held the Olympic Games and before hand a new area was set up Olympic Village @ West Heildelberg with many new buildings and roads being made th@ kept customers and Bill
happy carting the many machines too and fro from there different jobs to build the Olympic Village and Olymic Swimmimg pool etc

Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Swishy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, 77louie400, PaulFH, husky, Brocky45

More
2 years 3 months ago #230737 by mammoth
Crane a few pics back looks like it is mounted on an AEC Matador- probably because it came with a 7 ton winch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 3 months ago #230742 by Dave_64
Hey Swishy,
Seen the old NR with the 6/71, must have been a pretty popular repower?
Thought that a lot of them came out with either Macks own petrol engine, or early Mack diesel??
Dave_64

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #230744 by Swishy
Mammoth
gudday m8
Yes it was an AEC 4 wheel drive I think . it had a huge tail swing with the jib stiking right out the rear travelling down the road . the authorties didn't like it and he went on to design and make
a modern crane with all the bells n wistles and soon gave up supplying crane hire to manufactureing his modern crane
Cogz
m80
NR Mack with a 6-71
Remember
IF U aint screemin your only dreemin
All x WWll

This was later traded in for a Mack B42 triplex cogbox that had a 6-71 (stufft motor) also then repowered with a V6-71

Left to right KW S925 Cat D7 .... White Mustang ..... Mack B42

I can remember as a kid about the above pic ... driver was to deliver the mobile crushing plant up to the high country north of Noojee Victoria
our driver at the time didn't like the look of the bridge across the river .... so he removed the 2 inch diameter draw bar pin and replaced it with a screw driver to tow the beast across the bridge
reason being if the bridge collapsed with all the weight he would quickly accelerate to save the Mack with loss of a screw driver ... LOL

www.roadtransporthall.com/inductee?id=1505
A great friend, mate, employee, employer, mentor. admired by all that knew him RIP

thanks guys for your interest
cya

Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Swishy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, Mrsmackpaul, 77louie400, PaulFH, Brocky45, oliver1950

More
2 years 3 months ago #230746 by wee-allis
Keep it coming Swishy. Loving every segment. You are lucky to have not only the memories, but the pictures to back them up. I for one am very jealous.

More
2 years 3 months ago #230753 by cobbadog
Hi Swishy, any reason the drive tyres are on back to front on the NR?

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
2 years 3 months ago #230754 by BillyP
.Thats just great stuff.............
I have a feeling there could be a lot more in the wings................
.................Billy................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

More
2 years 3 months ago #230755 by 180wannabe
I don't know if it really makes any difference, but i have read that that is the preferred orientation to run similar tractor lug tyres for road work, to lessen lug wear. It is also common to run tractor lug tyres that way in sandy soil for broadacre work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.584 seconds