Skip to main content

1982 FF Hino not starting

More
2 years 2 months ago #230661 by Mobile 1
Hi All, we have in our Fire Brigade a old FF Hino 1982 at a recent fire the radios stopped working we removed the spare fuse from the fuse box and replaced the radio one , then the tanker would not fire , we then replaced the spare fuse , however the only way to start her was to remove the rod from the engine stop motor and put a piece of bailing wire on the injector pump as a pull stop, anyone know what we have done , we hear no click of a relay when tuning ignition on,it was fine until we pulled the spare fuse, we don't know which relay control the stop motor ,need help asap, Regards .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #230670 by 180wannabe
Probably of little help to you, but we bought a 1986? model Hino GT 4x4 cab chassis, secondhand about 20 years ago. Dad drove it home from Adelaide no worries, then later that evening when he went to put it in the shed he turned the headlights on and the engine stopped. Every time from then on, whenever the headlights were turned on, the engine would stop. Turn headlights off and engine could be re-started with key as normal.
We used the truck (on farm as a boomspray) for a couple of years and had no need to use the headlights so we just kept using it and it gave no other problems, although i have an idea maybe the turn signals didn't work either?
Anyhow, one day one of us forgot about the fault and turned the headlights on, only to find that this time when ever the headlights were turned on, the starter motor would engage (and spin), and could only be stopped by disconnecting a battery lead, certainly not ideal, so we thought we should get it fixed.
The fault beat the first 2 auto electricians we had look at it and they gave up. It took the third man 3 visits, making tests each time, and doing research and acquiring more information in between visits. Dad procured complex wiring diagrams i think from a dealer somewhere, and eventually they tracked the cause to be a faulty relay way way under the middle of the dashboard. It was as if when the truck was built they started with this particular relay, then built the rest of the truck around it.
I think there were a group of relays under the dash, maybe accessible through the glove box?, but i seem to recall the particular relay at fault was much further hidden and harder to get to. I'm afraid it was a long time ago. And i also have an idea pretty much all of the wires in that truck were black, with an occasional white one.
I can only suggest you begin by procuring a good wiring diagram and as much info as you can for your model truck, and handing all of that to the most "old school" auto electrician you can find.

Good luck. Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 2 months ago #230671 by Mobile 1
Replied by Mobile 1 on topic 1982 FF Hino not starting
Thank You Brett, that is very helpfull al info on faults is good to know. I am finding all sorts of hino information but as yet not come up with wiring diagram but have no doubt someone will have one ,I have the shop manual but the index does not show any relays or fuseable links etc
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #230676 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic 1982 FF Hino not starting
Have you checked the other fuses? It's possible that another fuse has failed at the same time and you haven't realised. But you still need to understand why the fuse blew.
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Gryphon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 2 months ago #230677 by 180wannabe
I have done a bit more Hino research.

Does your truck have a fuse panel inside the glovebox? Does that fuse panel have a fuse marked (ENG . STOP . OPT) ? I don't know, but maybe that fuse has something to do with the electric fuel shut off?

Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mobile 1

More
2 years 2 months ago #230679 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic 1982 FF Hino not starting
Jap wiring cab be crazy, 96 model FSR Isuzu: charge light comes on and a fuse is blown. Known fault as auto elect said straightaway it is either the stop motor under front step or reverse light switch on the gearbox. Disconnected switch and problem solved. Whod'a thought.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mobile 1

More
2 years 2 months ago #230690 by Mobile 1
Thank You, yes checked fuses ,changed fuses until gave up,

More
2 years 2 months ago #230691 by Mobile 1
Brett it has no fuse marked engine stop that is the problem trying to find a fuse /rely anything related to the engine stop motor ,it is so hard to find it must be a very small causing the problem.

More
2 years 2 months ago #230692 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic 1982 FF Hino not starting
From memories which I had long tried to block out I vaguely remember these hinos were prone to frying the coil of the relay which drives the stop motor, I think the relay is under the panel above the glovebox. The relay frying is sometimes a pointer to the stop motor on its way out and these used to be very expensive, probably better to fit an aftermarket morse cable to control the pump rather than buy a new stop motor
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mobile 1

More
2 years 2 months ago #230696 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1982 FF Hino not starting
Our Lorry is a FC144 model. Fuses are in the glove box and directly below the glove box and against the kick panel are a number of relay switches there. I had an issue with the flasher cam and found it there along with 3 or more other relays. In my case a simple removal and refit fixed my problem.
First thing I would try is find where the relays are mounted and remove and fit them all to make sure they are making a good connection again. I remember that mine was a right mongrel to remove but it just came out in the end, pushed it back in after a look at the terminals and bingo.
If that is no godd then try this.
So with your problem with the electric stop can you 'hot wire' it to see it does still work and not a blown coil in that motor? And go from there. I love using a test light over a multimeter for quick testing wires. Most times wires are black from the chassis being sprayed a hundred times in its past life.
Hopefully the issue turns up quickly for you. I have bought parts from a Hino supplier, Bretts near Gosford NSW. 02 4388 494 or www.brettstruck.com.au
No association with this company but they have always been helpful to me with th eodd requests I have put their way even to the point they sent me a diagram of the parts I wanted to confirm it was right. Look online there are guys for each section. Or look up a Hino spares place near you.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Time to create page: 0.511 seconds