Skip to main content

Inline VS Bent engines

More
2 years 2 months ago #231674 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Inline VS Bent engines
Strange,
We ran plenty of 12V's and nothing that would point to any particular problem. They gave excellent service.
These were all running compressors so usually very little shock loading even with the ones with clutches, including the booster units.
Cheers Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #231676 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Inline VS Bent engines

Dave for me, I'd want 7 mains in an in line 6

Holden grey motors only had 5 main bearings Im pretty sure, kinda strange when I think about it but they must of been okay as plenty were hotted up for more go

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64

More
2 years 2 months ago #231679 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Inline VS Bent engines
Grey engines would rev OK but would bend pushrods on the over-run.

I'm surprised anyone bothers hotting one up nowadays as there are plenty of stock engines of a similar size that outperform of hotted up grey engine.

More
2 years 2 months ago #231683 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Inline VS Bent engines
I alwasy hated the V series GMs,all the grommets and stuff would fall off the block as you were trying to put a head on.......one time I had a head slip off a block and fall out of a Denning and in the dirt......i got a straw broom,swept the dirt off top and bottom,and put it on the motor.......guy watching me was amazed ...........Never effected the way it went.............the GMs in compressors at the sandblasters all had several inches of sand in the sump from the Golden Ones habit of tipping oil into the motors with paint cans half full of sand.......actually not sand,but garnet.......they used to spear the diesel pump into a heap of garnet too,between uses..................Gms would. still go for 10,000 hrs between rebuilds.

More
2 years 2 months ago #231696 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic Inline VS Bent engines
An in line 6 runs naturally in balance due to the crankshaft arrangement. Can be improved by standardizing mass and center of mass of rods, pistons etc.
The V6 and V12 run in balance apart from the rocking couples caused by two big ends on the one crank pin. Opposed piston motors are similarly limited.

Other configurations do not run in natural balance and some run a balance shaft. All benefit from component standardizing as for the in line 6.

When the high performance V8 supercars are "balanced" by standardizing or blue printing components, reliability at high output is gained by using
improved materials and manufacturing methods. The large forces generated need to be catered for.

The V8 is a compact design for high output in a short space. The early side valve Ford is really compact apart from the carby and air cleaner sticking up.

Early in line 6 petrol motors with single carby were "asthmatic", end cylinders not fuelled as well. Multiple carbies and extractors or headers were an
attempt to improve their output. Examples - Chev, Holden, Bedford, International and Ford. This feature did limit revs so helped preserve them a bit.

Lots of You Tube info on the Ford 300 in line 6 truck motors. Good strong unit, 7 bearing cranks. Pick the right modifications to build a good motor.

All a compromise between cost, convenience and performance. Most truck makers have been settled on in line 6 motors for years now.

Just some points of view. Paul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64, Inter-Action, oliver1950

More
2 years 2 months ago #231705 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Inline VS Bent engines
The V6 isnt all you may think, or is it ?

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, Dave_64, PaulFH, V8Ian

More
2 years 2 months ago #231728 by grandad
Replied by grandad on topic Inline VS Bent engines
An inline engine

A bent engine

This is from a curved engine

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, overlander, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
2 years 2 months ago #231737 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Inline VS Bent engines
The Kawasaki is actually a 3 cylinder 2 stroke known as the Mach III.

The Honda CBX is the best known in line 6.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 2 months ago #231739 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Inline VS Bent engines
Looks like 5 to me.

The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 2 months ago #231742 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Inline VS Bent engines
That bloke has been building those for easily 20 years now.
Actaully, a normal one of those went the other way both ways on Saturday between Ipswich and Freestone (near Warwick).

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.580 seconds