Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Strange tyre wear - please help 21 Mar 2022 20:41 #233284

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
  • Thank you received: 2609
gr8 info MRS

thanx 4 th@

cya
OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Strange tyre wear - please help 21 Mar 2022 20:44 #233285

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Thank you received: 2623

Thanks heaps guys
I did a quick (rough) measure with a tape and found the passenger side to be around 30mm longer between the axles than the drivers side. Looks like I’ve got some work to do.

Keep on measuring Im thinking, see if you can narrow down exactly what is out before you start changing anything
Maybe a spring got changed some time and the wrong one got put in ?

30 mm is a fare bit, could also be a center bolt, I reckon you would feel that, I broke one once and it was a heck of job to keep it almost in a straight line

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Strange tyre wear - please help 21 Mar 2022 21:19 #233294

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 1621
Just as a rough way of checking the toe in I get 2 lumps of wood cut to the centre height of the tyre and place them in front of the axle against thetyre wall. Using a helper to hold your tape mesure against the side wall check the measurement to the other side wall opposite and lock the tape. Write down thedistance shown and then move the lumps of timber behind the axle and take the measurement there. In theory the tape should not reach all the way across. Unlock the tape and make it touch the sidewall and write down that measurement. Deduct one from the other is you get a rough idea how much toe in you have. Not accurate but just a rough idea untill you can get it done properly.
I did the tractors this way and on them it worked very well.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ashmenz0

Strange tyre wear - please help 30 Mar 2022 14:41 #233647

• jeffo
  • Thank you received: 156
Cob I make a suitable length of 20mm tube with an M12 nut welded on one end.
Weld something like a bolt head on the other end.
Run some M12 rod down the welded nut and if you like, grind a pointy end on it.
Then same methods as you, pieces of timber at suitable height to clear tie rod ends etc.
Use the trammel to measure tyre to tyre at rear of axle then do the same up front.
Some chalk on the tyre bulge will ensure you measure the same spot each time.

Strange tyre wear - please help 30 Mar 2022 16:50 #233651

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 1621
I could go digital with this way of measurements. Last year I bought a laser tape measure, but without the tape bit inside. I could do it using this and a chalk mark on the tyres.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Strange tyre wear - please help 30 Mar 2022 18:29 #233657

• jon_d
  • Thank you received: 213
Sorry, just saw this thread.

Does look like axle misalignment. The inside of one and outside of the other is scrubbed; indicating it's being pushed forward while steering to the side.

If you get 2 pieces of 4 meter (straight) square tube and weld on 2 long nuts; the nuts are spaced at the rim flange distance crossing through the axle centre line.. Then screw in some all-thread to clear the body and of exactly equal length. Then butt the allthread up to the rim and measure the distance from tube to body. Measure close to the rim and then at the end of the tube. If the rim is parallel to the body, the 2 measurements will be the same.

Assuming the distances between the 2 points that have rotated (spring centre bolt) is 2400mm, and the shift is 30mm @ 4 meters. Then at 4 meters from the axle centre, the tube will be about 50mm further out from the body than at axle centre. This would equate to about 0.7* misalignment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ashmenz0, cobbadog

Strange tyre wear - please help 24 May 2022 10:40 #235341

• ashmenz0
  • Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 18
Hi Guys
Thanks very much for all your replies. There is lots to digest there and some great suggestions.

I have had a bit more of a chance to do some measuring, with some very interesting results. The axle to axle measurement on the passenger side is 40mm longer than that on the drivers side. The measurement from the front of the body to the front axle is 4mm longer on the drivers side which suggests the axle needs to move forward 4mm, making the difference worse. The back axle appears to be 4mm back on the passenger side which if corrected would help.

In theory, if I corrected the axles to the body measurements, the difference in axle to axle measurement would still be 40mm. I am very confused.

Pic attached to try and explain.

I'd love your thoughts. Thanks, Ash
Attachments:

Last edit: by ashmenz0.

Strange tyre wear - please help 24 May 2022 11:01 #235342

• hayseed
  • Thank you received: 1438

I am sure a truck alignment place would give you the answer in 10 minutes. At $500-800 for a pair of tyres a visit would seem a good investment. Never know it might be nicer to drive afterwards as well?

^^^^^^^^^^^ Plus One to This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Strange tyre wear - please help 24 May 2022 12:10 #235343

• mammoth
  • Thank you received: 533
Measurements should be taken from the chassis not the body. Even bumper fixing points could be a work of art rather than engineering. Key points on the chassis would be the spring hangers. The axle to axle measurements confirm that the vehicle is set up to go round in circles and by steering to go straight ahead is wearing the tyres as if they were being in a constant turn, only worse.
To check chassis alignment park it on a good concrete floor and drop plumb lines from the four corners and intermediate points (ie cross member fixing) of the chassis, spring hangers etc and mark on the floor. You are then able to stretch brickies chalk line across those points which will reveal if the chassis is bent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ashmenz0, cobbadog, Gryphon, PaulFH

Last edit: by mammoth.

Strange tyre wear - please help 24 May 2022 15:01 #235346

• V8Ian
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 430
Assuming steel springs, are the springs in pairs? Are the centre bolts tight and in good condition?
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.308 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558