Skip to main content

VT 190 Cummins

More
2 years 5 days ago #233431 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic VT 190 Cummins
is it going to be a Work truck or a Toy..??

You could very easily spend $10,000 Repowering It. Just to save a few Hundred Bucks a year...!!

Just a Thought..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, wee-allis, Brocky45

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 days ago #233442 by Bimbadeen
Replied by Bimbadeen on topic VT 190 Cummins
Very good point !!!!

More
2 years 5 days ago #233446 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic VT 190 Cummins
Hard to beat the sound of a nicley tuned V8 Inter under load.
Enjoy what you have. Paul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog

More
2 years 4 days ago #233452 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic VT 190 Cummins

Hard to beat the sound of a nicley tuned V8 Inter under load.
Enjoy what you have. Paul.

Not hard, try a 318 or 361 Dodge with twin pipes, just that much sweeter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
2 years 4 days ago - 2 years 4 days ago #233479 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic VT 190 Cummins
I was working at Cummins Lansvale as a field service man (Field Service Engineer, as our service manager liked us to be called)
when that series donk (Val, Vale etc )were in their heyday. While a hell of a lot of problems with them was from an over heating situation caused
by bad installations by Inter Dodge etc etc The cooling systems were just not up to Australian conditions............
But , there were a lot of them that really did give a quite good run............
How ever, in saying that , i would be inclined to stay away from them at this point and time...........
...................Billy.....................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Last edit: 2 years 4 days ago by BillyP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, Brocky45

More
2 years 3 days ago #233484 by Brocky45
Replied by Brocky45 on topic VT 190 Cummins
The early V-8 Cummins would not be a good work engine, BUT for a hobby / show truck, with no load on it, it would be fine.I had the 504 CI in the Brockway I sold, with 2 extra 555's to build one good engine. I have not talked to the man I sold all of it to, so don not know what he had done??
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 3 days ago #233494 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic VT 190 Cummins
Im no expert ,Ive only owned two small V8 Cummins ...the 185 was a costly POS,and IMHO had no more power than a 354 Perkins ,and did nothing but make a lot of noise and break down a lot..................next was a VT 190 in a 1950B ACCO.........problem there was leakage of fuel into the oil......oil changes every 1000 miles....and used oil was just tipped in to the fuel tank ,it was so dliuted...........anyhoo,the truck wasnt much over a year old,when IH had a special on 1950Cs with the DT 466 motor....so i did a swap on the finance.......IHA made the big mistake of saying the DT466 was a Neuss motor.................which it actually was..it was made in Germany.....and that put buyers off................next year they called it a "Blue Star" US motor.........but they were also broke by then.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 3 days ago #233495 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic VT 190 Cummins
The best small V8 Ive had anything to do with was the 3208 Cat...............see one in pieces,and inside its not much bigger than a car motor.....yet if put together right they just go and go......and plenty of rexs too ,for slow diff ratios..........the only persistant problem was blowing head gaskets,but oddly enough a blow gasket would have water running out the exhaust.................anyhoo ,simple cure was to have head and block faced......guys who wouldnt take out the motor would blow a gasket every few months....................2800 revs,and no heavier than a Perkins.354........and believe it or not ,people put them in 1300 Inter utes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
2 years 3 days ago #233518 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic VT 190 Cummins
Well, so much for the 3208 being labelled as a "throw-away" motor!

More
2 years 2 days ago #233526 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic VT 190 Cummins
Lots of little 3208 powered Louies running around with agitators fitted.
When the NSW Water Police changed from 350 and 454 Chevs in the launches., the choice was 3208 Cats. A lot noisier, slower but far more economical. Only recall one failure. Never had any fear of going to sea and not being sure of getting the job done or getting home.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.491 seconds