Skip to main content

Tyres.

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #233928 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Tyres.
Cobba,
Mine are 16" rims, NOT 20"
The Karrier that DID come out with the 20" rims were given at 5.5" rims.

Lang,
Thanks for the heads up, I had been looking at tyre joints, but very few of them even know what old imperial sizes even mean!
Had a bloke up here try and tell me that there is NO equivalent crossover size from the old 6.00 X 16" even in metric!
Of course, all they want to do is try and sell you a new set of light truck radials.
I had these 7.50 X 16" tyres left over from when I had the C20 1975 Chevy table top.
Thanks, Dave_64
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #233933 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Tyres.
Dave

I think your bloke might be right about the 6.00-16. This has been a problem for years for the military jeep people. it is not the width but the height. The old bias commercial tyres were 90-100% profile where the radials are a maximum 85% but usually less. To get the height you have to go wider which causes not only practical problems but does not look right on a faithful restoration. 6.00-16 army pattern original tyres are readily available from places like Milspares at a reasonable price
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64, PaulFH

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #233934 by Dave_64
Thanks, Lang.
I'm not worried about looks, just a damn shame that the 7.50
X 16" look like being TOO wide to go onto the standard 4.5" rim.
Dave

More
2 years 2 weeks ago - 2 years 2 weeks ago #233935 by Lang
Dave

Not trying to tell you what to do but I personally would put the 7.50-16 on those rims. Not as though you are going to be breaking any speed limits.

A common thing with the military Dodge blokes is to put 9.00-16 tyres off the later 3/4 ton weapon carriers on the earlier 1/2 tonners which had 7.50-16 originally. Theoretically the rims are too narrow but I have never heard of any problems and I had one like that for maybe 20,000 km back in the 80's.

I have put radials on my current 1941 Dodge 1/2 ton but had to go considerably wider to get the original 7.50-16 height.

Here is the Dodge 1/2 ton with original and large tyres on the skinny rims. Looks so much better. They have heaps of power so the big wheels are a nice up-gear as well.

Last edit: 2 years 2 weeks ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Dave_64, PaulFH, Brocky45

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #233937 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Tyres.
Thank you Lang, for your information, even if you don't like me highlighting your name in "French Racing Blue." It was only a hint about a certain French Mack.
Thank you also to all the others who replied with helpful information.

Unless I get an offer of good used tyres very soon I will go with an offer of five new Chinese tyres tubes and rustbands for $250 each as a man I know bought them for his Morris LC3 and then decided they were too big so bought and fitted 700's. I will then have to buy a sixth one at new price of over $360 but it is a huge price to pay for a truck that will probably only be used five days a year.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #233938 by Lang
Morris

It is only money and you can't take it with you. Look upon it as an investment so the little bastards can get more for it when they sell to the highest bidder the day after you drop dead.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #233940 by Dave_64
Thanks Lang,
All the ginning around I have done, should have came straight out and asked the obvious!

Is it safe as well as legal to put 7.50 X 16 tyres on 4.5" X 16" rims?

You have just answered that, so will give them a whirl!

I'm highly unlikely to ever do your type of mileage.
Dave_64

More
2 years 1 week ago #233953 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Tyres.
So what do the old model little Suzuki 4wd use now? They ran 600 x 16 bar treads.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 1 week ago #233958 by Dave_64
Wonder what size tim they ran??

More
2 years 1 week ago #233959 by Lang
Suzuki wheel is interchangeable with the WW2 Jeep including bolt pattern. Width is 4 1/2 inch. They are one piece wheels like the 1946 onwards Jeeps not split rims like the army model.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.518 seconds