Skip to main content

Panel work

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #233907 by Dave_64
Panel work was created by Dave_64
If your interested in watching a young guy doing old school panel beating, on You Tube, a series named "Japhands", all facets of body work.
Good to watch, looks and sounds like a Kiwi, doesn't mind being a bit heavy handed, but finish of his work, without any filling is something to see.
A real pro, got all the right gear in a fully equipped shop!
Suggested watch.
Dave_64
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #233913 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Panel work
I watched a true tradesman apply his craft as a panel beater on his sons Cortina. It was side swiped by a telegraph that jumped out in front of him on the way home from the pub. Anyway, after weeks of weekend work and no oxy at hand he panel beated this car back to shape and a metal file finish. The amount of filler used from front to rear was less than a mug full. I could not believe this mans talent. He was employed by one of those high end panel shops that do only Rolls Royce and alike.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #233916 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Panel work
Cobba,
In the main, seems like a lot of these types ofold style tradies, rapidly becoming a thing of the past.
Got a mate of me bro in laws down the Otways, must be in his 80'a now, watched him working on a pair of rear mudguards for a pre WW2 Chrysler, or Dodge, made em out of flat steel sheet on an English wheel.
Rebuilt just about the whole car, with only leading and brazing, had nothing but contemp for any body builder who even mentioned body filler!
Called them "bog merchants".
Done his apprenticeship with some mob in Sydney, used to import high end Yank sedans and make Hearses out of em, showed me a few photos of before and afters.
A bloke who truly took pride in his work!
Dave_64
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #233920 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Panel work
One of my uncles was a gun panel beater. Ended his days lecturing at trade school.
All the apprentices would build an item that demonstrated the facets of panel work. It looked a bit like a Jack Brabam era formula 1 body, about 4’ long. I made one into a go kart for my boys.
All file finish, no bog.
Before he enlisted, he received some award for his superior method to fabricate the wing root fairing on aeroplanes.
I was so envious of his kids. They had a scaled down Cat dozer with a Renault engine/box. Tracks were Bandag treads.
He’d buy hail damaged cars and remove the dints using the oxy and water. When finished you couldn’t see any dint.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64, PaulFH

More
2 years 2 weeks ago - 2 years 2 weeks ago #233925 by cobbadog
The reason I got out of the trade after only 2 years was the disappointment of being taught to be a remove n replace or plastic surgeon. SO I jumped on earth moving gear for around 14 years.

Last edit: 2 years 2 weeks ago by cobbadog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #233957 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Panel work
You would be surprised how many younger people can use an English Wheel and fabricate from scratch.

I agree the vast majority are past retirement who can use shrinkers/stretchers, brakes and wheels but there are plenty of examples on car building Forums of what these young guns can do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64, PaulFH

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #233968 by cobbadog
Just watched a Pommy rebuild an old English Wheel then low and behold an add came up showing a new model that uses a 6" diameter rubber wheel on the fixed post. This apparently gives good traction but better control.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.553 seconds