Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Some classic heavy haulage 15 Apr 2022 22:31 #234269

• V8Ian
  • Thank you received: 387

A dumb question from dumbo no nautical type

Would anchors even het used on this type of boat or for that matter most commercial ships today
I think they just go from pier to pier and are roped onto the big doohikies that look like half a knuckle bone sticking up on the jetty

Paul
Ships often have to anchor, awaiting a berth in port. Port Hedland is a perfect example.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by V8Ian.

Some classic heavy haulage 16 Apr 2022 06:28 #234272

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Mrsmackpaul's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2402
I did not know that V8Ian, I guess now that I think about it Im pretty sure even for little boats there is moring fees and I can only imagine big ships would have same bills as well only a lot lot bigger

So once they are empty they would head out to open ocean and pull up and wait

So yes it was a dumb question from me

Dave you are probably right

I know nothing about boats except they make me crook :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Some classic heavy haulage 16 Apr 2022 12:07 #234275

• hayseed
  • Thank you received: 1308
Paul, I've been on a few Pacific Island Cruises & they quite often Drop Anchor off an island & ferry everyone to the Island with a launch..
"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Some classic heavy haulage 16 Apr 2022 16:11 #234278

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 1539
all the coal boats drop anchor off Newcastle beach and Wollongong / Port Kembla every day while waiting their turn to enter port.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Some classic heavy haulage 16 Apr 2022 16:22 #234279

• Zuffen
  • Thank you received: 470
Most on here will remember the sinking of the Torrey Canyon off the French coast in 1967.

The ship lost power and they dropped the anchors to hold it.

As the ship (that weighed around 120,000tonnes) was still moving it tore the flukes off the anchors and then just dragged the chains until it ran aground.

It won't matter how big an anchor you put on it the boat has to be at a dead stop to use them.

The Pasha Bulker ran aground off Nobbys Beach when it dragged its anchors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul

Some classic heavy haulage 17 Apr 2022 21:36 #234308

• JOHN.K.
  • Thank you received: 1096
They used to use bigger chain than that for scrub pulling in central Qld back in the day..............by the way ,the strutted chain is so if the links pull out of shape ,the struts prevent the chain locking solid in a long length.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Inter- Action, PaulFH, Zuffen

Some classic heavy haulage 19 Apr 2022 18:05 #234340

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Mrsmackpaul's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2402
Dunno John, I have never seen scrub pulling chain anywhere near that size

Anyway a couple of old Mack road trains from Yanky land

And some trucks that really must suck

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Some classic heavy haulage 19 Apr 2022 19:39 #234342

• Lang
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 6588
Here is everything you wanted to know about chains

anchormarinehouston.com/wp-content/uploa...Section_2_Chains.pdf

From all the Tractor sites it seems that two late model D9's use 2 1/2 inch to maximum 4 inch chain. About 3 inch is average.

Two late D6 use 1/1/2 to 2 1/2 inch.

This assumes the operators have a veritable library of chains to choose from which is seldom the case. Too heavy and it stays low - OK for light stuff but on heavy timber requires a chaser dozer with a tree pusher to knock down stubborn trees that catch the chain (said to be the world's worst job having to bounce over the fallen scrub and expected to be everywhere instantly to keep the pullers moving). Light chain rides up and snaps trees off higher up instead of the desired lay down effect..

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Last edit: by Lang.

Some classic heavy haulage 19 Apr 2022 21:24 #234354

• KelOz
  • Thank you received: 8
Hi Lang and Paul how are you? I pulled quite a few acres in central Qld in my youth d8h22a s stick and D9G s powershift never heard of chaser tractors we leaned the big trees so the chain would run up it might be a bunch of big trees chain might go 15 feet up then it would pull them all over if a big tree was on the outside you just pushed it out into the pulled scrub. Never pushed them over inside they would get tangled in the chain end up dragging heaps of timber along . If you got hung up on a tree you backed up the chain abit more than length of the tractor and you could turn around walk back and lean it or back out over the chain back all the way back to lean it so long as you had the slack under the tractor you could do anything with out hurt the walking gear . Other ways they got the chain higher was the big steel ball in the middle of the chain lifted it by 5 foot to give purchase and if more bight was need one tractor would sop causing the ball to pull down and lift the chain higher on other side when it hit the tree stopped tractor would go and chain would tighten up high on tree . There is one of these ball on the peak downs highway at a stations gate. Another way was to run a 2 inch wire rope attached to the chain about 80 feet back from tractors and 20 foot shorter than the loop of chain being lighter it would run about 15 feet in the air give purchase on the trees leaning them than the chain pulled them over . Chain was about 2 1/2 inch but it would break now and then carried bud dees on the tractors to join it again
The following user(s) said Thank You: Inter- Action, Lang, PaulFH

Some classic heavy haulage 20 Apr 2022 06:31 #234361

• Lang
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 6588
Thanks Kel

That info I got came from both USA and Australian forums. No doubt every case is different as there seems to be unlimited combinations of tractor size, chain size, type of vegetation etc. I have been on properties where they are clearing quite a few times and you confirmed my impression it is more than just blindly charging through the scrub knocking everything down with ease.

Thanks for your insight - always thinking. I suppose it is like most dozer jobs, even if there was such a thing as a 200 ton D99 it would still be one size too small for the job in hand on many occasions.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.321 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558