Skip to main content

Smoky Engine

More
2 years 1 week ago #234315 by Dave_64
Smoky Engine was created by Dave_64
Hi All,
Just a general query, this little 2.5L TDI Range Rover engine in the project Karrier vehicle, I have noticed recently that it seems to be getting very "smoky" especially at idle.
I don't let it idle for all that long, but have been starting it every second or third day.
When you give it a big double handful of rev's, really belches the smoke out and smells like it is running on Kero!
I don't have a throttle hooked up as yet, just stick her in bog cog and let her idle in and out of the shed,
I recall the old 250 Crummins I had used to "wax up" a bit and by the time the engine had warmed up, it would clear itself.
I have a bottle of Wynns Diesel fuel treatment here I bought for my Prado that I hadn't used, as where I buy my diesel from turns it over pretty quickly so is always fresh.
Has been suggested that what is needed is to get out on the road and give her a good workout, well, cant do that as it is neither registered or have any brakes as yet.
Suppose adding a bit of fuel treatment couldn't hurt her, old Crummins used to stick a coke bottle full of super petrol in with a full tank of diesel, used to smarten her up a bit and it had done about 3/4 of a million miles when the service book was stopped.
This little engine, bloke who gave it to me said that he had the pump and injectors done quite a few years ago now, but I have had it for about five years, and really only started it up every now and then, never really been put under any load, since I have had it
So, if I cant run the engine under load, what do you blokes reckon I can do with it, starts very easily, summer/winter, needs no heat, ALWAYS fires first touch of the start button!
Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 week ago #234317 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Smoky Engine
You're overthinking things Dave...!!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 1 week ago #234318 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Smoky Engine
Hmmm........

Could be right, 'Seed!
Had been known when on interstate to hear " noises" coming from trailers and pull up to jack up and check wheel bearings!
Over-active imagination??

More
2 years 1 week ago #234322 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Smoky Engine
Dont bother with the additive yet. Wait until you have brakes and rego then deal with it. It probably just needs a good run and doing short start ups will most likely glaze it up more.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 1 week ago #234328 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Smoky Engine
Everything mentioned above

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 6 days ago #234332 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Smoky Engine
Just needs to be loaded up a bit ....get the engine working as it should ...under load ;)

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 6 days ago - 2 years 6 days ago #234333 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic Smoky Engine
Dave,

I have an Isuzu 6BG1 turbo in the bus. Doesn't use any measurable oil. Smokes for the first 3-4 ks then spotless. I reckon it's just the oil that has seeped into the valves and head after stopping. The "RWC specs" are always "when warm"

I'd love to replace the valve step seals but won't.
Last edit: 2 years 6 days ago by jon_d.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 6 days ago #234334 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Smoky Engine
Thanks, All
Dave_64

More
2 years 5 days ago #234367 by Inter-Action
Replied by Inter-Action on topic Smoky Engine
I might be a bit different to other wiser truck enthusiasts , but i would do a compression test before taking it for a good loaded run. Then do another
test after that run, while still hot/warm. It may give you more of idea of engine condition. There's a good chance the rings may free up and give you a
bit more info to work on. Just my thoughts . Dave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64, PaulFH

More
2 years 5 days ago #234371 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Smoky Engine
That works too Dave. Also might show up a valve not quite closing properly but apart from the rings it maybe just the valve guides. Only once it gets a good run will an answer be known.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.468 seconds