Skip to main content

McGrath trailer

More
1 year 11 months ago #234956 by 67mustang
Replied by 67mustang on topic McGrath trailer
Thanks

Yep i was thinking of a kiln dried hardwood floor being tounge and grove to help keep boards together and maybe the stainless deck screws, timbers going across the deck?

Can do some sort of tarp or plastic while it sits outside, may be able to put in the hay shed?

MA

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #234958 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic McGrath trailer
What are you going to use it for? Just carrying light show vehicles or heavy machinery.

If for lighter work ideal would be second hand hardwood tongue and groove from a house wrecker. It would more than likely be 3/4" or 19mm. Plenty strong enough to hold lighter vehicles over the 2 foot span between coaming and runners. For the odd heavier vehicle some loose runner planks just for the trip would support anything.

Last year I bought 2" x 6" set of Tallowwood decking for my 28' McGrath Army trailer. Cost $1,600. 2" is an overkill but I wanted to put a light tracked vehicle on it.

Lang
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Lang.

More
1 year 11 months ago #234960 by 67mustang
Lang

Wont be anything heavy, maybe my 1927 Chev truck when we get around to getting it done? The long term plan was to put the 2 deck stock crate back on but hey thats another project for another day or year?

yeah i thought about second hand flooring, would need to fill in holes or run through a plainer

MA

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #234962 by Lang
No. You get very good T & G flooring if you look around and certainly not requiring a planer. If you are anal a jar of that timber filler and an hour would see the nail holes all filled. They use jemmy bars to lift the boards off and are careful not to wreck the tongues or slots then the nails are knocked out from the back. They don't dig into the surface to get them out or nobody would buy them. If they have blemishes turning upside down will give you a fresh surface.

I used 100 year old T & G out of an old church on a small car carrying trailer a lot of years ago. Once I lightly sanded it all after fitting, the original red and white colours of the timber sprang back to life. I used Selleys Aquadhere clear deck oil on it every one or two years. 20 years later I sold the trailer last year and apart from needing another sanding all the colours were still there.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 11 months ago #234969 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic McGrath trailer
Standard tongue n groove would work for light stuf and as suggested a couple of planks for when you cart the old Chev but certainly not strong enough to use as stock floor.
Would using 2 layers of standard tongue n groove cope with stock plus run the layers at right angles to each layer?

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
1 year 11 months ago #234976 by Lang
Cobba

I think if you doubled up the cost would buy you new tallowwood planks.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 11 months ago #234988 by Inter-Action
Replied by Inter-Action on topic McGrath trailer
If you live anywhere near silos with outside bunker storage , check with them. Each year they throw out heaps. It goes to landfill. You wont find a stronger tarp material. Lasts for years in all weather and usually comes in huge sheets.
A few years ago i contacted the silo 60 kms away. Asked for a piece to cover some gear. Next day a bloke delivered a ute full. No charge!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
1 year 11 months ago #234989 by 67mustang
Thanks Guys

I think will just go with new timber, given its still a few months before trailer will be painted i might find a local timber yard and buy 10 -15 2.4 mt lengths at at time, the lovely wife may not notice as much thE overall cost? (did i say that)

I have a mate on a big wheat farm at Speed in SA might give him a call re the tarps - great idea.

MA

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #234990 by Lang
If you have the timber sized , which it should be rather than rough sawn, and then dressed one side (you can order this from the mill at little extra charge) you could easily make your own tongue and groove with a router table for a perfect locked deck. The local mens' shed could well do this for you for a nominal donation.

Lang

More
1 year 11 months ago #234997 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic McGrath trailer
Timber selection is getting harder and is down to where you are and how much you want to spend. Longer lengths and big sections get harder but 2.4 should be easy. I am putting new timber on my float and bush mill on the coast recommended turpentine which is used for wharf piles - tough and rot resistant.

Time to create page: 0.484 seconds