Skip to main content

Laying a wooden tray deck

More
1 year 10 months ago #235025 by Dave_64
What do you blokes think of laying a wooden floor over the top of an existing alloy tray?
Doing a tray up currently to go on the tipper body of the Kogzbilt Karrier project, already have the two extra steel chassis rails in place, ( with Sikaflex), front hurdle being welded up as I write, going to end up approx 6'8" wide X close enough to 8'0"
long, debating whether to lay the hardwood second hand flooring either crossways or lengthways.
I already have the lift on/off hinged sides at hand, steel, and there is a 20mm "ridge" on the sides of the existing tray.
I can lay my hands on enough 100mm X 19mm tongue and groove hardwood from the local building recyclers, nice looking timber.
Only needs a strip of alloy or steel approx 2" wide X 1mm thick to bring up to needed height.
This project will be spending most of its life under cover, so weather not an issue.
Dont think I'd go to the trouble of sanding the wooden decking down and estapoling it, depends on how it looks.
Prolly bolt down through the actual deck and be secured from underneath by washers and nyloc nuts.

Have been following some of the decking posts here on the forum, went down and had a look at the tray today and reckon I may have a go at it.

This vehicle, if I ever finish it, or rather stop moving the goalposts mid-game was only ever intended to be a "weekend warrior", not a fully working vehicle, but if I want to throw a cupla meters of sand or gravel for my young blokes block, well and good.
Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago #235027 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Laying a wooden tray deck
Dave

I reckon it would be easier than a normal wood tray. Rather than tedious bolts I am sure you could find a suitable tech screw type fastener or failing that just drill and use metal thread self tappers.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64

More
1 year 10 months ago #235028 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic Laying a wooden tray deck
Hi,

would the existing tray act like a shallow pool and hold any water and thus rot the wood out from the bottom up because the water can't get away and there is no airflow underneath?

Terry

More
1 year 10 months ago #235029 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Laying a wooden tray deck
Terry,
I'm a confirmed wuss when it comes to weather!
Even a hint of moisture, she'll be staying in the shed!
Dave

More
1 year 10 months ago #235030 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Laying a wooden tray deck
Bunnings carry under sealer creamy stuff that is used to lay wood floors directly on concrete. I reckon that would work and also be self-levelling to take up what is sure to be certain uneven spots in the old tray.

Lang

More
1 year 10 months ago #235033 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Laying a wooden tray deck

What do you blokes think of laying a wooden floor over the top of an existing alloy tray?

Dave_64

May I ask Why..??

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
1 year 10 months ago #235034 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Laying a wooden tray deck
Seed, your asking Dave "Why". This is the Kozgbilt.. There is no rhyme or reason to any of it. Just that Dave wants it that way, has a wild imagination and is a glutton for punishment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64, asw120

More
1 year 10 months ago #235038 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Laying a wooden tray deck
Seed!
Happened to see a HQ Holden custom made tray where the tradie had a polished wooden floor, doubt it has ever had a load on it.
Looked really smart so I said to meself, "Self! You should steal that idea!"
Why?
Refer to wee-allis response above!
Could not have worded it better meself!
Or, as put on this forum many, many times:-
"......because I can!"
Also I'm a hopeless tinkerer, why not do something just a little different from the mainstream!
Dave_64
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Brocky45

Time to create page: 0.531 seconds