Skip to main content

Museums

More
1 year 10 months ago #235418 by cobbadog
Museums was created by cobbadog
Dee and I are still on the road and hope we will be back home in about 2 weeks, depending on weather. Since being on the road we have seen a lot of fantastic things and visited some museums and 2 that stand out a lot were the Vnational Vietnam Veterans Museum on Phillip Island and today was the Army Museum at Bandiana Victoria. I have a heap of pics to show but they are all on the phone which does not like playing posting pics online. So sorry to tease you lot with this info but will make an effort once home.
One that nearly knocked me off my feet was an old truck that looked very much in some ways as the model Federal truck only the Federal is rated at 1.5 ton and this was a 3 ton Albion. Apart from not having dual wheels on the Albion they look very similar to me with an untrained eye. Similar cab and controls, same style of wheels and grille, even the chain drive.
Any way so much to post once home so hopefully time does not drag on for you and does for us.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris, PaulFH, Brocky45, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago #235419 by Brocky45
Replied by Brocky45 on topic Museums
I was on Phillip Island in 2015 to watch the penguins come in to nest. No Museums!!?? Did stop at a parking area and got some pictures of boats in the water.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 10 months ago #235421 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Museums
Cobbadog, If you're heading North? the Temora Air Museum Is well worth a Look.. As is the Other Museum..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
1 year 10 months ago #235426 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Museums

Cobbadog, If you're heading North? the Temora Air Museum Is well worth a Look.. As is the Other Museum..

Yes I would second that, I was very impressed with Temora Air museum

Trafalgar Holden Museum is apparently pretty good, the Moe heritage place was okay years ago, Walhalla is worth a sticky nose, I havent been there in 30 years and it is apparently better than it has ever been

Heaps to see and do

Power House museum in Morwell, see and learn about the brown coal industry there

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
1 year 10 months ago #235427 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic Museums
Vehicle museum at Maffra too.
Change exhibits to keep interest.
Have not been, but hear it’s good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 10 months ago #235428 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Museums
I hate museums. They're supposed to be for old stuff, not stuff with which I'm intimately familiar. :( ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 10 months ago #235430 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Museums
Brocky45
In 2015, the non-political Vietnam Veterans Museum was in San Remo which is just before the bridge to Phillip Island. It has moved to much larger premises at Phillip Island airport at Newhaven. Put it on your list for your next visit here.
PaulFH yes the museum at Maffra is smallish but certainly worth a visit. It is held in a World War Two sugarbeet drying shed. Until I first visited I did not know that sugarbeet was ever grown here as it has far less sugar content than sugar cane. The display is changed three or four times a year. I have been there three times now and will visit again when I am in the area.
V8IAN, I prefer vehicle museums but it is worrying in all sorts of museums to see things that I bought new or were commonplace when I was young. Don't you dare say I am getting old!

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, daveus6, V8Ian

More
1 year 10 months ago #235435 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Museums
V8 / Morris: at the Boonah show today, there was a c1990 Corolla on historic plates on display. It "did not compute".

Mate was in '29 Dodge, I took '51 Studebaker.
Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, daveus6, V8Ian

More
1 year 10 months ago #235447 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic Museums
Hi,

this popped up in the inbox recently,

Dear Motor Enthusiasts,

We invite your members to get a group together and travel down to Gippsland to join us in celebrating the 60th Anniversary of the EJ Holden on Sunday 3rd July 2022.
Built from July 1962 – August 1963 the EJ saw the introduction of a new luxury model, the Holden Premier, which made its debut in the EJ series, and featured leather interior, bucket seats, metallic paint, a heater/demister with centre console, and arm rests on all four doors.
If you wish, bring the EJ, bring the Holden, as we will be offering trophies for Best EJ and Best Holden on the day!
- Admission fees for all participants this day only: $10.00 per adult, $5.00 for kids over 10years.
Public voting will commence from 11 am and close at 1 pm.
Presentation of trophies and cutting of the EJ Day cake will be at 2 pm.
- Sausage sizzle available between 11.30 am – 1.00 pm.
- Tea and coffee available at gold coin donation
We will have trophies for:
- People’s choice for Best EJ
- People’s choice for Best Holden
Please find our flyer attached for your distribution to your members and do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further information.

Yours in motoring,
Trafalgar Holden Museum

More
1 year 10 months ago #235477 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Museums
We went to nthe Temora Air Museum about this time last year and stayed at Junee and crawled around every inch of the Railway Roundhouse. They were both exceptional. The Vietnam Vets Museum was fantastic but they mentione that where they are now on Phillip Island is no longer big enough and they need larger premises so check out where they are if you get the chance to visit them.
V8ian is getting that way that museums drop the entry fee to get in, hoping that we cannot get out and add us to the display.
Right now we are still in Albury and we both did the unspeakable and bought a Beesting cake each. For those who know about them, they were delicious. For those who do not know about them, only buy a Besting from this Bakery chain - Beechworth Bakery. They just happen to have an outlet here in Albury. Yep it did mess with my sugar levels but shit it was good. Aparently we are not allowed near the bakery again for a long time.
Our next stop from here is Tumut on Monday. Have already got the heads up on visiting a couple of hydro plants which is very high on our list to do. Also a visit to Adelong an old gold mining town. Not looking forward to the expected temps there. I also have to find out about a naval boat or submarine on the Hume Hwy somewhere between here and the Canberra turn off. Any clues please?

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Time to create page: 0.493 seconds