Skip to main content

Museums

More
1 year 10 months ago #235593 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Museums
Thanks Zuffen, found Holbrook and the sub easily thanks. Stopped for a good look around, a piddle and a cuppa and not in that order. By this time it was still raining as it was when we left Albury and ha da short break so I climbed up on the deck for a couple of happy snaps. Max temp was a brisk 8'c on tha day and the hand rails to grab and climb up were frozen bloody cold but I had to do it. There was also a 1/5th scale B11 sub on display and a torpedo. There was the arse end cut off and standing next to the Otway with the bronze props still there. Surprised no one has had a go at them for scrap yet. The nice long dead straight road going through town had a car parked at one end that looked out of place with parking lights still on, yep officer Dribble. We waived as we drove past and he waived back with a grin. Same as the two highway patrols cars working either end of Tumut this afternoon.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago #235595 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Museums
Funny you saw 3 Police vehicles.

I drove Tweed Heads to Sydney on Sunday and didn't see a Police car.

But I did see 3 mobile speed camera cars.

I guess they have a better return on the investment than a Police car and highly trained Office in it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 10 months ago #235596 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Museums
Hope You packed your Long-johns cobba..?? You'll need 'em At Tumut I reckon...!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
1 year 10 months ago #235603 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Museums
Just had 10 days in Tasmania. Why anyone would choose to live in that weather has me tossed. A campervan was $900 while the cheapest Suzuki roller skate was going to be $1.200. Anyhow the car museum at Wynyard is a little beauty with a very wide selection.

Sign of the times. With everything from beautifully restored veteran, vintage and classic vehicles and bikes to look at two young blokes about 20 told me the best car in the museum was some crappy lowered 90's Japanese thing that you see doing circle work in late night industrial estate gatherings.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, wouldyou, Mrsmackpaul, overlander, PaulFH, Tacho, V8Ian, wee-allis, Brocky45 and 1 other people also said thanks.

More
1 year 10 months ago #235633 by cobbadog
Well top temp today here in Tumut was a very tropical 5'c. Again today we saw the same two highway patrol cars, yesterday radar work to RBT. Wlking across the top of the Blowering Dam today I nearly did a Mary Poppins. There was steady light drizzle but the breeze hitting the sloping face of the dam when I had a look near the edge tested the umbrella out and wanted to work overtime and try to lift me off the ground.
No long johns to wear so just tolerate the conditions. Brisk walking helps if the wind is at your back, but not when heading into it. Off to Adelong tomorrow an old gold mining town to see the ruins and a waterfall which should be spilling a bit of water. The Tumut river just 6 steps behind the van is really running along because the dams are at or near full capacity so they are generating power under controlled speeds just enough to keep the levels safe but not watse water and not generate. Tumut #3 was actually pumping water back uphill when we were there but the Blowering was churning it out as the water level is just 1 metre below the spillway.
Yes theBlowering is where Ken Warby made his world water speed record which still stands today and his boat still does test runs on the Manning River Taree. I met the Engineer that rebuilds, services and tunes the jet engines for that boat when I did a job for him a few years back.

The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
1 year 10 months ago #235634 by hayseed
Cobba you need to go up the road to Talbingo & go through he Tumut No.3 Power Station(The biggest in the Snowy Hydro Scheme) It's well worth Looking At...!!

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 10 months ago #235635 by cobbadog
Thanks hayseed, we did Tumut #3 yesterday. Fantastic place to lookabout. The 6 large pipes are more than big enough to drive Bongo through and still have a ton of head room. We covered every inch we could and again took a lot of pics. Downside is they no longer do tours at any power station which is a left over from Covid but still list them online and the tourist info centre at #3 was locked up like fort knox with no explanations. There is no where that you can get close enough to get a glimpse of what is inside. Yes I know turbines, but nothing like seeing them. There were 2 turbines sitting on some concrete plynths as a display. One was the turbine for generating the power and the other was a pump turbine. So different between them both.

More
1 year 10 months ago #235646 by hayseed

the tourist info centre at #3 was locked up like fort knox with no explanations..

That's a pity, It's well worth going through..!

don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
1 year 10 months ago #235649 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Museums
If you hit one of those submarine prop blades with a hammer (assuming it is a relatively modern 7 blade jobbie) you would be convinced they were made of wood as they just won't ring - in which case they have virtually no value as scrap as to achieve such a low sound signature the alloy is patented and around 30% manganese with a pour temperature of over 1300c (normal high tensile brass is around 1030c).
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 10 months ago #235665 by cobbadog
they were metal of some sort as they were bloody freezing to touch. Too late now to go back and test the bell. Moving further North tomorrow to Moss Vale. Went to Adelong Falls and mining ruins today. Lost a few hours wandering about there.

Time to create page: 0.492 seconds