Skip to main content

Portable Disiel Heater

More
1 year 9 months ago #235812 by geoffb
Picking the brains trust on peoples exprience.
Looking to see has any treid these. Looking at 5kw self contained including tank
Just wondering who has gone down this road and where did they get them ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #235814 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Portable Disiel Heater
Mate, fairly sure Gilly has one of those on His Setup....

Also Happy Birthday....!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
1 year 9 months ago #235815 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Portable Disiel Heater
We used one in a rental camper in NZ. Worked really well. Quite a number of my OKA contacts have fitted them saying they were cheap and efficient.

One big drawbaqck from my point of view is the noise. Anyone who has been in a caravan park in a cold climate will have had my experience of being woken up by the "whoosh and purr...." of diesel heaters cranking up on the thermostat all around you all night.

Complete self contained units with all the fittings come for around $160 plenty on Ebay.

Lang

More
1 year 9 months ago #235816 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Portable Disiel Heater
I just helped my kids fit one in their Base Station.
EBay, about $180. Very comprehensive bit of kit.
I wasn’t impressed with the mount plate/heat transfer to the van’s floor so we mounted it with a piece of fibre cement board as an insulator. Worked well.
Check underneath for services etc before deciding on the position.
The unit is very quiet, inside and outside the van.
Only noise is the fuel pump which clicks at each stroke, wouldn’t worry most owners but something to consider when mounting and positioning the pump.
Uses bugger all fuel. We mounted the diesel tank (10L) on the drawbar behind the gas bottles. Easy to fill when filling the car.
Exhaust smokes on start up but within a minute it’s dead clean with no fume smell. Depending on your mount spot, you might need extra flexible exhaust ducting to exit it in a happier position.
There’s also the burner’s air inlet to consider. Probably not a good plan to draw from near the tyres.
Has a nifty wired control which tells what’s happening temperature wise.
There’s also a remote for when you’re in bed. Handy to alter the fan speed which will obviously alter the temp.
It was so efficient I turned it off after 30 minutes, van was toasty.

More
1 year 9 months ago #235818 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Portable Disiel Heater
Geoff, a 5 kw heater is actually fairly big, most caravan people recommend the 2kw (but that said, they often seem to be 5kw with a 2 kw sticker) problem with being too big is they have a tendency to carbon up. that leads to adding kero to the fuel tank and pull apart cleans. there are heaps of u tube help sites to fill your time in. I am not familiar with the all in one units. But assume the same would apply.

I find it interesting that these cheap Chinese copies of a much dearer and perhaps better made German Eberspacher heater are allowed to be installed without any compliance regulations. The same has NOT happened to the gas heaters because gas heaters need to comply with a number of ADR's.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, jeffo

More
1 year 9 months ago #235821 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Portable Disiel Heater
I watched a few YouTube installs and a strip apart comparison between a cheap China job and a madly expensive German model. Both almost identical , only difference was the euro model had a thicker base plate.
The stainless steel base plate was my concern as it gets very very hot when the unit is running. Way too hot to touch, I’d guess 100 deg C plus.
Most DIY installs just bolt this to their vinyl flooring.
My van has a composite floor not ply so the normal instal would expose the foam inner core to heat.
Haven’t heard of any bursting into flame yet………..

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #235822 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Portable Disiel Heater
If you want the Janitrol heater out of my 1941 Dodge Carryall (Ex-Alaska Highway vehicle) I have it on the shelf here. Now they really do work!

The Beech Queenairs I flew in the army had Janitrol heaters and I was never 100% happy about a roaring blowtorch going 6 inches in front of my feet in the nose locker but they sure were warm.

How they work:
www.csobeech.com/files/Heater_AMT.pdf

Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, oliver1950

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
1 year 9 months ago #235823 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Portable Disiel Heater
Sounds like Browny is go n softcok

is the heater for the sin bin
or to keep the workers warm in the factory (Paul & Ronny)
Why not go to the local 'U Bute rental shop' n try one for a week
LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 9 months ago #235827 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Portable Disiel Heater
Go onto a caravan Forum and ask them for a decent and reliable one. I think they also need to have gravity feed of the diesel to the heater, but not sure. Yep they can be a bit noisey but since I snore I cannot complain but I only snore when I'm asleep. In general they do work very well, not sure if they can be temp controlled or if they take the oxygen out of the room, all things to consider but they are very popular in caravans especially those who free camp. Us, no thanks we use those expensive floor electric fan heaters to help the van parks electric bill along.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: overlander, oliver1950

More
1 year 9 months ago #235829 by overlander
Replied by overlander on topic Portable Disiel Heater
Greetings. When I worked as a mechanic in the UK the Merc coaches had Webasto diesel heaters for warming the coach when the engine was not running. And then when I was based in Nairobi Kenya doing safari work the boss used to a bit of business shifting used trucks from the UK to willing buyers in Tanzania and Uganda and a lot of these had diesel cab heaters under the bunk ( if they were a sleeper ) and they were thermostatically controlled - we used to take them out to use the blower fan to help crank up the charcoal fires we used on safari. Never took any notice of the manufacturers of those. My 2 bobs worth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.566 seconds