Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Crummins 360-365-380's 20 Jun 2022 20:09 #236212

• Dave_64
  • Dave_64's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 748
Looking up some old posts and then chatting to a bloke who did his time with Crummins as an apprentice, he was telling me that the 380 started life as an industrial engine and was then adopted as an over the road engine way back.
The 365 "Redhead" engine was a lot later and came out about the same time as the 400 and 444 series.
I dont know just where the 360 fitted into the line up, this bloke questioned if it may simply have been a derated 380?
Would I be right in saying they were all clones of the original 250 NH 14 litre engine?
Which was a different block again to the 220 NH, only way I could identify them externally was by the injector pipes.
Speaking of the NH 220,
I have an idea there was a "smoke kit" available for both that series as well as the NH250, didnt bump the Bulk HP up by much but did make them breath a bit easier, without the clouds of smoke under heavy acceleration.
Also think they may have had a heavier vibration damper.
Wot says you blokes?
Dave_64
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyP, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Crummins 360-365-380's 20 Jun 2022 20:34 #236213

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
  • Thank you received: 616
Yeah Dave. .....the NH220 had external fuel injector lines and was 5.1/8 th bore...........
while the NH250 had internal fuel lines and was 5.1/2 bore by 6 in stroke .......basically looked similar
but that was about it , except for a few accessories..........
The 250 didnt have piston cooling, that came with the higher HP turbo units...........
The Smoke kit was called an Altitude Compensator Kit . Cummins wouldnt fit these unless the engine was going
to operate in the higher areas....... Basically all it involved was fitting a T50 Turbo to give it a bit more air.........
Once it was fitted the owner could easily bump up the fuel pressure to get it going...........
...............Billy.................
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, PaulFH

Last edit: by BillyP.

Crummins 360-365-380's 20 Jun 2022 20:53 #236214

• BillyP
.At that time , after the 335 , came a few diffrent ratings..... as i recall the highest then available was
the 400......Running them on the dyno , they had to rev to 2300 to get the full 400 HP
That is as i recall...............
....................Billy..................
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

Crummins 360-365-380's 21 Jun 2022 02:29 #236220

• Dave_64
  • Dave_64's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 748
Billy P,
When you say the higher hp output turbo engines, were they the 270 and 290 Hi-torque and Custom-torques like they fitted to the 2nd series KW S2,s?
The models that had the raised hump in the floor?
Dave_64

Crummins 360-365-380's 21 Jun 2022 17:26 #236243

• BillyP
.When i said higher HP engines, i was referring to piston cooling fitment............
( it wasnt deemed necessary on the naturally asperated jobs .....)
With the 14 litre donks at the time, any one that came from the factory with a turbo would have had
piston cooling fitted ............
This involved a new engine block , machined to fit cooling nozzles that sprayed up under the pistons and an
oil gallery cast into the block, (and machined accordingly) , as well as a diffrent lubricating oil pump set up.......
The external mounted oil pump could come as a single , double or tripple according to specs .........
1. for engine lube...2.For piston cooling .3 Maybe a scavenge set up (depending on specs) ....or what ever..............
This is as i recall ............
....................Billy.......................

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558