Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Brake Fluid Lines 23 Jun 2022 14:18 #236342

• cobbadog
  • cobbadog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1571
A couple of years back I had one of the flexible brake fluid hoses leak inside the cab while loaded and the caravan in tow and of course running downhill in a road works area so full of traffic. Pulled up at the bottom of the hill found the issue and bodged it up to get home with out having the alarm scare shit out of us both again and with little to no use of the brake pedal. A while ago I thought I must replace the other hose so I bought some and new clamps and it was one of those jobs to do one day. Today is the day! The simplest way to gain access to the bottom of the remote reservoir was to take the dash out and it really made it a lot easier than trying to crawl around the floor and past the steering column. Then I discovered a 3rd hose which lust be a return line from the brake master cylinder. I thought that the hose being replaced today was just that the return line but the one I did replace was for the clutch as it was far worse than the return line. So tomorrow I will pick up more hose and another pair of clamps and replace it as well before putting the dash back in.
The pics show the nice big opening with the dash out. Then across to the bottom of the reservoir and finally down to the clutch master cylinder. It is the red hoses that are all very soft and perished. The black hose is power steering/auto transmission hose rated at 300psi.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH, roKWiz

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Brake Fluid Lines 23 Jun 2022 18:29 #236355

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Thank you received: 2450
I was told years ago the rubber for brake fluid is different than oil as apparently the brake fluid breaks it down

Dunno if this a issue but I guess if it was some clear plastic hose would work fine as well

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Brake Fluid Lines 23 Jun 2022 19:11 #236360

• Lang
  • Thank you received: 6638
Paul

Clear plastic hose with brake fluid becomes hard in a fairly short time.

For years I have been trying to overcome the impossible filling of the underfloor master cylinders on Army jeeps and Dodges. I use a small tin can such as a Brasso tin with a bit of pipe soldered in the bottom with a plastic hose going down to a similar pipe brazed into the filler plug on the master cylinder. It is a good system when bleeding the brakes because you can see the bubbles coming up but soon they always became brittle. I have used certified fuel line in recent years which seems to be able to handle the fluid. Of course silicon brake fluid is kind on rubber etc but not many people use it these days.

Cobba may be able to set up a remote reservoir along these lines to stop him having to dismantle the whole car.

Lang

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

Brake Fluid Lines 23 Jun 2022 20:32 #236372

• jon_d
  • Thank you received: 190
Apparently..... SAE J1401 complaint hose is the standard for resisting DOT3 or DOT4 fluid. from here:
grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/brak...r-hose/139159/page1/

www.ebay.com.au/itm/163215336319?
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Lang, PaulFH

Brake Fluid Lines 23 Jun 2022 21:49 #236378

• cobbadog
Thanks for the replies guys. The power steering/auto transmission hose is that SAE J401 hose. Before IK bought the hose from the local Pirtek shop I asked them what was suitable for the job and this is what he supplied. I made sure that 3 pieces of this new hose will fit side by side on the remote resevoir and they do. They are a bit larger on the OD but correct ID.
To remove the gauges and speedo was not all that hard just a little bit of time. Lets see how it goes back together and if I need to eat my words.

Brake Fluid Lines 25 Jun 2022 21:43 #236431

• cobbadog
Got b aqck to Lorry this afternoon. Double checked that the 2 new hoses were not leaking and found that the trickiest mongrel to get to had the slightest amount of fluid near the clamp. So once again I'm upside down leaning on the now sore ribs to get a bit more tension on the hose clamp, which I did. Wiped it all clean then set about swapping the batteries around. Fitted the rejuvenated battery and took the other one to go throught the same steps.
For the rest of the day I kept checking that weepy hose and it is still dry and will check again tomorrow. So now the dash board is back together. Had fun connecting the speedo cable. It is the simplest of ideads, push it on and it clips in place. B/S, I tried all sorts of positions to put me so I could reach the cable which does not move in or out, connect the only wire for a light and get it clipped in place. In the end the best place was standing on the step and kneeling on the door jamb. I was just about to give up on that position and it clipped in place. Fitted all the wires at the back of the gauges and then the fascia. Again I still have brake pressure and clutch too so should not have to bleed the system because I clearly heard air bubbles rising into the resevoir as I topped it up again.
Now waiting for the battery.

Brake Fluid Lines 26 Jun 2022 07:13 #236442

• jeffo
  • Thank you received: 149
Watch how you go Cobba.
I was half in, half out, upside down under the dash of the old Prado. Torch in my teeth, glasses fogged up, pushing with my feet to get higher up.
Pushed the car out of the level shed floor to outside….. big ding in the door as I went past a column, feet dragging all the way.

Brake Fluid Lines 26 Jun 2022 09:06 #236452

• cobbadog
Every time I managed to get half up side down in out when looking up the bloody sun was in my eyes just to help. I too had the fogged up goggles. About to go and triple check everything again now.

Brake Fluid Lines 29 Jun 2022 00:43 #236626

• PDU
  • Thank you received: 1042
The remote filler cans were common on older English cars. Austin A40's had one, but the Humber units used on the later disc brake models were much better as they had a low fluid sensor in them. I put one of these in a '36 Ford with Chev V8, back in the '70s.

Last edit: by PDU.

Brake Fluid Lines 29 Jun 2022 15:55 #236643

• cobbadog
Well it looks as if the brake fluid leaks are a thing of the past. While playing with Lorry there was an old body repair done long before we bought him and it was bogged up and painted. Well I dug it out, planished it up a bit and it needed a teaspoon of bog to finish. Then I hit it some some high-fill primer which crinkled up. So rubbed that out and started again and prep washed it and again it crinkled. So I rubbed the lot back a bit further and primered it and today I hit it with some Lorry White which I had made up a couple of years ago. It sprayed like shit to be honest but eventually it did spray better. I walked away thinking I need to get some more paint mixed up but after lunch I went and looked at it and there is no need for anything else to be done except a bit of cutting compound in a couple of days and give the big boy a bath.
No pics of the job before during but can do one for the after shot if required.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.339 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558