Skip to main content

oil leak treatment

More
1 year 9 months ago #236799 by Bimbadeen
oil leak treatment was created by Bimbadeen
Has anyone had success with oil treatment additives for a rear main bearing leak
Thank you

Maurice.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #236800 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic oil leak treatment
Yes and no.

I have often tried the additive (some of the American ones although more expensive seem best).

A couple of old vehicles stopped leaking within a few days driving never to be a problem again. Others it did SFA. If the seal is shrunk from age or a smooth groove worn in the shaft - good chance. If it is torn broken or rough bearing surface - no good. You will not know until you try.

I think if you have a fairly new vehicle it is not going to work as the seal is more likely to be damaged than shrunk or a groove worn in the shaft as it works by swelling the seal and giving it back its flexibility.

In your case I would certainly give it a go. It is not going to hurt anything and $30 might save many hours of labour pulling gearboxes. Give it time, might take 1,000km.

Lang

This one has definitely worked on a couple of army jeeps and miraculously on a 1915 Willys Overland.

Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
1 year 9 months ago #236802 by Bimbadeen
Replied by Bimbadeen on topic oil leak treatment
Thanks Lang

More
1 year 9 months ago #236803 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic oil leak treatment
Some more information required - what is the vehicle, how many kms, where is the oil dripping from etc
You need to rule out the front seal of the gearbox
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
1 year 9 months ago #236807 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic oil leak treatment
Here I go off topic again...The only magic oil formula I've ever used was "diffshutthef*kup" which actually worked amazing well on a noisy diff! I've tried a bit of things like "power steering stop leak" and various other desperation things, but not much joy.
That said, I'd like to try out the "decarbonser" that is still advertised as a wonder product for fixing your fumey old truck.. I have my doubts tho, and I'm too tight to buy some cos I know it will probably do bugger all..
BUT- bars leaks. And chemiweld. Now theres two products that DO work, cos' I've had a fair crack at both in various busted rally cars and other old junk... Miracle products, I tells ya.....
Cheers
Rich
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH

More
1 year 9 months ago #236810 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic oil leak treatment
In My experience using those types of Snake Oils only Delays the inevitable..........

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 9 months ago #236815 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic oil leak treatment
Unless your in a burning hurry with a desperate need I would just take the time to fix it properly

It isnt a huge job, just time consuming and you know its good to go for a long time then

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog

More
1 year 9 months ago #236817 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic oil leak treatment
I'm with Hayseed and MrsmackPaul on this one despite Lang's good experience. I worry about what the additive will do to bearings and tiny oilways, oil filters and goodness knows what else. This is only my gut feeling as I have no scientific knowledge of these things.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
1 year 9 months ago #236824 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic oil leak treatment
My point is it costs $30 to try the magic brew. It does work in certain circumstances. Rislone and many others have been around for 100 years and you can not stay in business if your stuff does not work.

I don't think it is helpful for a bloke doing up an old truck with limited knowledge or experience and without the equipment to carry out the job easily to be told "just fix it" as though it is a 5 minute job or he has an Interstate B-Double waiting to head off on its next paying trip in a commercial operation.

Sensible philosophy says start on the easy stuff first.

How bad is the leak? A show truck could go for 20 years, or until the repair funds are available, with a rear main bearing leak of a minor nature.

Just my opinion.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: wee-allis

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #236831 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic oil leak treatment
Lang, the Bloke asked for peoples Experiences using them, & I related Mine to Him..

whilst I've never tried the Brand you Mentioned. I have tried Wynns, STP & Nulon over the years all to no avail..!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by hayseed.

Time to create page: 0.486 seconds