More
12 years 7 months ago #23491 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Old Kwikasair SARs
I took this photo in Townsville last year

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #23492 by bigcam
Rene, that picture is one of Mick Travelos's trucks. The fleet number ML 40 is Mick Lines.

More
12 years 7 months ago #23493 by bigcam
Squeak, all the trucks distribution had were Ex linehaul, I'd nearly guess that the Road Boss with KT 216 was the same one. All the trucks in distributions fleet started with the 4 TA I think. I was wondering if they changed the prefix when the truck was leased to a different division, but kept the fleet number.

Will get back to you on that one Bigcam , still in contact with some of the old tnt fleet mech,i think 4 was for QLD, I drove 1PA213 in Sydney for Comet,they had 222 as well.I do believe the numbers just flowed allong with new additions to the fleet as all prime movers were owned by TNT fleet management and leased to each division ie comet and kaa or afe, rigids had a different system as well.

squeak

12 years 7 months ago #23494 by
Replied by on topic Re: Old Kwikasair SARs
g'day big cam i think the ML prefix was Mickway Linehaul.... i have no idea why i remember this but jimbo 51 may be able to clarify....

cheers

More
12 years 7 months ago #23495 by bigcam
Detective, I reckon you're right.

More
12 years 7 months ago #23496 by Scummy
Replied by Scummy on topic Re: Old Kwikasair SARs
Yer its a travelos alright , it has the square box on the bar which lite up at night with his initials cut into it .

More
12 years 7 months ago #23497 by farmer brown
Replied by farmer brown on topic Re: Old Kwikasair SARs
Werkhorse. My uncle was a freight boss for kwikasair I will be catching up with him in a couple of weeks.Ill ask if he has any info or were to find out.
Ill never forget seeing a bloke take a swan dive out of one of those sar's, it was at the depo in millers rd (i think :-? ) I was droping wool at the VPC store next door and had wandered round to catch up with my uncle. I was walking past the truck when the driver opened the door steped onto the box then straight into mid air. Dont know wat he was on but it must av bin good ;D ;D

More
12 years 7 months ago #23498 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Old Kwikasair SARs
Thanks FB What I'd (and I guess Cam would too) dearly love to find is a fleet list ...or a way of reading the fleet numbers.

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
12 years 7 months ago #23499 by Young Fella
Replied by Young Fella on topic Re: Old Kwikasair SARs
Okay, I'll go out on a limb here. From my memory, and I will stand corrected, the fleet numbers can be worked out as follows;

Example: 1PA350
1 = State where vehicle originally based
PA = Comet
350 = Fleet Vehicle Number

The first digit relates to the State where the vehicle was originally based;
1 = NSW
3 = Vic
4 = QLD
5 = SA
At Comet we had trucks that started out in NSW and had '1' at the start of the fleet number, but when there became Victorian based that first number stayed as a '1'.

The second and third digits relate to the Company;
KT = TNT
KA = Kwikasair
PA = Comet
AA = Ansett Freight Express
QA = NQX (I think)
There are heaps more for divisions such as Contrans, Alltrans, Railfast, etc, etc. I just can't remember them.

The last three digits are the fleet vehicle numbers. These were spread across the entire TNT group of companies fleet. For example;
347 = Ansett Freight Express LTL
348 = Comet T600
349 and 350 = Comet LTL
351 and 352 = Kwikasair LTL
353 to 358 = Comet LTL
359 = Comet T600

Hope that sheds some light on the numbers. I'm sure there is a lot more to it than what I can remember.

More
12 years 7 months ago #23500 by bigcam
Thanks Young Fella, that is pretty comprehensive, well done, does that mean the prefix never changed when the truck was transferred to a different division? From memory, they used to spend about 2 years on linehaul- Comet/Kwikasair/AFE, then go to refidgeration, then finally distribution. I worked for TNT in the mid to late 80's, they still had slimline's with 8V71's and manual steering, even had a slimline G88, was that thing steady.
The reason for the question is, if the Roadboss in Richie's pics fleet number ends in 216, would it be the same truck I used to drive in Brisbane with a different prefix, but ending in the same 216?
We also had Carpentaria Transport up here which was QRX and NQX and tied up with TNT but not fully owned by them I thought.

Time to create page: 0.584 seconds