Skip to main content

Old Kwikasair SARs

More
5 years 1 day ago #200062 by Standen
Replied by Standen on topic Old Kwikasair SARs
I always wondered why TNT and Kwikasair etc predominantly specced Detroit's back in the day while Cummins never seemed to get much of a look in. Was this to have one engine make only in the workshops and Detroit was what they settled on?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 day ago - 5 years 1 day ago #200064 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Old Kwikasair SARs
Werkhorse,
Great to see the photo of the 351 Pete, 1VA324 OR DY324.
Looks like a sister ship from the Alltrans tipper collection, colour doesn't mean much, could have been resprayed at some stage?
The dual headlights threw me at first, could have always been an addition off a later model?
From memory, I can only remember the one Pete of this era coming out like that, and that was Canningtons Caterpillar powered jigger, which going by a few photos posted over the years, was sprayed in Caterpillar Yellow, had the white waist band and just may have been pinstriped with either red or brown between the base colour and the white band.
Of course this is all subject to memory, around fifty odd years ago, and as we all know, memory is sometimes an elusive commodity!
Either way, great to see her again. Hope the new owner may at some stage restore her to her original glory!
Cheers, Dave
Last edit: 5 years 1 day ago by Dave_64.

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
5 years 1 day ago - 5 years 1 day ago #200069 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Old Kwikasair SARs

Standen wrote: I always wondered why TNT and Kwikasair etc predominantly specced Detroit's back in the day while Cummins never seemed to get much of a look in. Was this to have one engine make only in the workshops and Detroit was what they settled on?

Good Question..... deserves a good answer...…...unfortunately, I only have a guess
Peterbilts mostly came in with Cummins, ……………..KWs mostly with GM. ( In the early stages) no idea why that was the case. ………..
Maybe that was why TNT ...Ansett etc went with the GM......
Maybe...Maybe...……….
But one thing you have to admit is that in a fleet situation like the overnite express ,because of the flogging , the GM will out last the Cummins ……...
Over rev the Cummins down hill and you have a seized governor plunger in the fuel pump every time...………..
The GM will lap it up and ask for more...…………….
So for the job required, with the gear available.at the time, the old GM would have been my choice as well . …………
Also standardising on one brand does make the parts situation a bit easier …………….
…………………….Billy...…………………...

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Last edit: 5 years 1 day ago by BillyP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
5 years 1 day ago #200071 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Old Kwikasair SARs

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Attachments:

More
5 years 1 day ago #200075 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Old Kwikasair SARs

Dave_64 wrote: Werkhorse,
Great to see the photo of the 351 Pete, 1VA324 OR DY324.
Looks like a sister ship from the Alltrans tipper collection, colour doesn't mean much, could have been resprayed at some stage?
The dual headlights threw me at first, could have always been an addition off a later model?
From memory, I can only remember the one Pete of this era coming out like that, and that was Canningtons Caterpillar powered jigger, which going by a few photos posted over the years, was sprayed in Caterpillar Yellow, had the white waist band and just may have been pinstriped with either red or brown between the base colour and the white band.
Of course this is all subject to memory, around fifty odd years ago, and as we all know, memory is sometimes an elusive commodity!
Either way, great to see her again. Hope the new owner may at some stage restore her to her original glory!
Cheers, Dave

Your old Pete was parked only 20' away from 324 Dave ;)

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Time to create page: 0.477 seconds