Skip to main content

Old Kwikasair SARs

More
12 years 7 months ago #23511 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Old Kwikasair SARs
Well I dunno about Rudders...............They were gone before I was born.......have a feeling it was mid 60's ???

Some of you may think I'm an Idiot .... but......I've started to do a TNT Equipment fleet list........crazy I know.

I've gone through this thread and a few others, and scoured the net and have already found a few baffling things like.....

1PA423 = Ford LTS9000
3KA423 = Kenworth K100

note the same last 3 digits

So If anyone can find more numbers/photos etc I'd be stoked to add them to the list.

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #23512 by R.Buron
Replied by R.Buron on topic Re: Old Kwikasair SARs
Looking at my TNT documentation I found the following digits:

BA=TNT Bulk

SA=TNT Seafast In that case the first digit was 3.The truck was part of a fleet operating on a dedicated run on behalf of Cadbury in Tasmania

More
12 years 7 months ago #23513 by werkhorse
Thanks Rene SA would quite correct as I have 2 photos of TNT LTS9000s taken late 1990s, 3SA343 and 3 SA421 both B doubles that woud have done the Cadbury contract at various times. there were a few LTS9000s in the fleet but I have no idea if they were numbered the same.

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
12 years 7 months ago #23514 by R.Buron
werkhorse,on the photos I am talking about which comes from a TNT's internal newsletter named TNT Freight Notes,the two trucks are Ford LTS9000s and believe it or not one of them is the unit 3SA343 and the other one is unit 3SA346 or 348 I'm not sure.Let me tell you in that kind of activity good eyes is not enough,a powerful magnifying glass is essential :D :D The cab is totally white and the bumper and the back end of the tractor including the fifth wheel are painted orange.The photos date back from 1995.

PS: As on my photos the tractors have no trailer hooked to them,I would be interested to see them with B doubles.

More
12 years 7 months ago #23515 by R.Buron
mammoth,I don't understand what you mean.Can you give me more details.On what truck have you saw those digits?Are you asking if Rudders was part of TNT?

12 years 7 months ago #23516 by
Replied by on topic Re: Old Kwikasair SARs
g'day r buron. rudders got taken over by the ever growing alltrans/tnt business along with allied freight and a few others in the late 60's -early 70's with pictures of peterbilt conventionals in peaches and cream but having rudders or whoevers stickers on their doors for a time after the takeovers. there was quite a bit of corporate activity going on around this era...bit of a can of worms actually!

More
12 years 7 months ago #23517 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Old Kwikasair SARs
The Rudders (?) numbers are on my LAD Leyland Octopus and I am trying to track it's history. Looks like it may have been a fuel tanker and as it has a fibreglass headboard/sheet rack on the roof it has been suggested that it could have been a 2nd hand import.

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #23518 by werkhorse

werkhorse,on the photos I am talking about which comes from a TNT's internal newsletter named TNT Freight Notes,the two trucks are Ford LTS9000s and believe it or not one of them is the unit 3SA343 and the other one is unit 3SA346 or 348 I'm not sure.Let me tell you in that kind of activity good eyes is not enough,a powerful magnifying glass is essential :D :D The cab is totally white and the bumper and the back end of the tractor including the fifth wheel are painted orange.The photos date back from 1995.

PS: As on my photos the tractors have no trailer hooked to them,I would be interested to see them with B doubles.

I buggered up with the numbers one is/was 3SA343 and the other is/was 3SA431......not 421 as I typed before

As you would already know 343 is a day cab without roof and side farings and 431 has the full aero kit.

There were 2, I think, other LTS9000s that had a base frame mounted behind the cab that had a removable generator set mounted on when needed....I believe the Gen sets were for use with the Tas-Sea-Liner trailers for the Bass Strait ferry.

I'll scan 343 and 431 in over the weekend.......pity I never got any of the ones with the Gen sets.

Mammoth......I rekon that maybe an old Alltrans truck.... might have come through from Rudders and beenbranded at a later date.

Another observation I've made.........Old Grey Ghosts were numbered in the 800's but the later KAA trucks started somewhere below 100

Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by werkhorse.

More
12 years 7 months ago #23519 by richie
Replied by richie on topic Re: Old Kwikasair SARs
So going back to the numbers on the tnt trailers,1KV135,1 would be the state yeah?and K would be TNT and would V stand for van[as in trailer]?

More
12 years 7 months ago #23520 by richie
Replied by richie on topic Re: Old Kwikasair SARs
definatley looks like an old alltrans truck.

Time to create page: 0.543 seconds