Skip to main content

GM Diesel's IH 190 in progress pics

More
15 years 8 months ago #1272 by GM Diesel
Thanks Duncan for the compliment.
Ive done the whole thing myself and crikey Ive learned some things along the way.
I wanted to stay with the 20" rims to keep atleast the outside of it looking sort of original.
Once I got a price to chrome the 20's I very smartly ran down the road and got meself some wet and dry, a dozen bundies and half a dozen cans of chrome bright !
Barry

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 8 months ago #1273 by duncan_m

Thanks Duncan for the compliment.
Ive done the whole thing myself and crikey Ive learned some things along the way.
I wanted to stay with the 20" rims to keep atleast the outside of it looking sort of original.
Once I got a price to chrome the 20's I very smartly ran down the road and got meself some wet and dry, a dozen bundies and half a dozen cans of chrome bright !
Barry

Hi Barry,

Nothing like learning lots to keep you young at heart!

I got quotes on chroming some rims and I'm still unsure whether to do it or not.. around the $400 mark each!

I've used some of the White Knight Chrome spray previously on a few bits and pieces and it looks good.. but it doesn't seem to be particularly UV stable.. it needs to be reapplied on a regular basis (6 monthly, and the old paint has to be sanded down a bit).

My blue truck has powder coated silver rims.. again it doesn't seem particularly UV stable.

I'm considering using a Two-pack paint and clear coat on the new truck if I don't go the chrome route.

Which product did you use?

Cheers, Dunc.

More
15 years 8 months ago #1274 by GM Diesel
Duncan,

I used a CRC product called Kromebrite, Liquid chrome enamel.

Barry

More
15 years 8 months ago #1275 by kennymopar
you can buy new 22.5" spider chrome wheels for around $220.. it crazy when they ask $400 to chrome your old 2nd hand rim!

More
15 years 8 months ago #1276 by GM Diesel
The cheapest quote I could get here was $600 a rim to have them chromed here in WA.
Chroming these days is a rorte I reckon and the quality of plating is crap to.
Originally I was going to go with 22.5 chromies as you say but couldnt get full chrome rims so the steers were chrome on the offside so I stuck with the 20".
What I saved went along way towards new skins all round.
Im glad I did stick with the 20's now.
Barry

More
15 years 8 months ago #1277 by kennymopar
i recently tried to put 22.5 spider rims on the front of my dodge 700,unfortunally they hit the steering box drag link on 3/4 full turn..needless to say im back to the original 20" rims .. nothing like stock on a old banger !

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 8 months ago #1278 by Swishy
Just my 2 cents worth
Ask the chromin guy wats involved in chromin n he might say preparation n may B th@ wot u can do
all the manual labor to cut costs
probly lota buffn of wheel rims 1st
ButEyeDoSt&2BCorrected
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
15 years 8 months ago #1279 by duncan_m

Duncan,

I used a CRC product called Kromebrite, Liquid chrome enamel.

Barry

Thanks..I checked out the CRC website, it seems that its designed for truck rims etc:

www.crcindustries.com.au/catalogue.nsf/w...+Enamel?openDocument

I'll go and buy a coupla cans and redo the bits I'd done in the Whiteknight product and see how it goes.

Thanks!

Dunc.

More
15 years 8 months ago #1280 by GM Diesel
Dunc,
If you put the effort in with some wet and dry etc they come up pretty good with this stuff.
Barry

More
15 years 8 months ago #1281 by duncan_m

Dunc,
If you put the effort in with some wet and dry etc they come up pretty good with this stuff.
Barry

Thanks Barry,

Did you put a primer of some sort down or is the product sprayed on bare metal?

Dunc.

Time to create page: 0.548 seconds