Skip to main content

Conditional (Historic) Rego Load Carrying Limits

More
13 years 11 months ago #27583 by HeyCharger
OK guys, clarification required as I'm a bit slow :D

I believe this is the rule;
The maximum load allowed is two thirds of the manufacturers original load limit (ie load
capacity for early vehicles and GVM for late vehicles.)

So, say I have a 1970 single axle low-loader. Tare weight is say 2500kgs.
On normal rego, I believe I can carry a load of 6500kg.
However on conditional it now drops to 4333kg. Is that correct (2/3rds of 6500kg)?
What I'm trying to find out, is what is the 2/3rds calculated on. Is it the LOAD or the All Up Weight?
For instance, if it was the AUW, then maximum load would be 9000, 2/3rds of which is 6000kg minus tare of 2500kg leaves a load of 3500kg. Lot of difference >:(

Thanks. Rod.

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.
1946 Ford Semi-Trailer Bus.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #27584 by GM Diesel
I see what your dilemma is Rod. I could be worked both ways.
I think its pathetic this load reduction system you have.
Bit of a bummer if you want to take another prime mover to a show.

A question : So if you have a truck on your club system thats rated to tow triples does it allow you to still tow a triple to a show at the 2/3's reduction.
WA you can tow a triple at full GCM on club licence.

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
13 years 11 months ago #27585 by mammoth
Heycharger - it's a question which has been tossed around but one that we don't want an answer for. The NSW has set the parameters of the historic conditions but has left lots of grey areas deliberatly. The thinking is that it is up to the clubs to look after the details and enforce the system generally. So it is up to the registrar of the club you have your truck registered with how it is measured. The gvm is as per the compliance plate on the prime mover or manufacturers catalogue before they came in, or how it was when last on full rego. Trailer loading would be measured as per published current axle limits. Contributers to this forum by and large tend to focus on relatively modern trucks but it should be remembered that the permit system caters for i]historicvehicles, and that means 30, 40, 60 or more years old[/i] when technology was not real good or that the years have taken their toll on performance of materials and systems (even after restoration)
Your registrar will be guided by this thought- if a member mows down a battalion at an Anzac parade can I demonstrate to a coroner (and your insurer) that the club had done everything right and that the truck was operating within the rules. At the end of the day common sense applies and pushing the boundaries is ultimately unrewarding.

GM - before this condition came in strictly speaking we couldn't even load a lunch box so it is a plus in that sense, and it is better than Queensland's 50% ruling. To be able to move heavier trucks, as per your comment, I am uprading from a single to bogie trailer but even with single drive prime mover space is then the limiting factor.
I can't see why doubles can't be pulled, so long as they satisfy the rating & loading constraints, individually and as a whole, and operate where it is allowed; ie west of Warwick Qld and Dubbo NSW.

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 11 months ago #27586 by Swishy

Guys
RE: it's a question which has been tossed around

Me thinks it should B tossed out

early trucks from way back when never ever had the GVW or the GCW ever filled out on compliance plate
as the manufactuer said it twaz a nominated figure any way

(GVW = GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT...GCW = GROSS COMBINATION WEIGHT = including all trailers etc)

as many countries n states differed on allowed weights
so U got to nominate any thing U like on rego papers
normally wot U'd B legal to cart weight wize on axle/tyre configuration

BUT
But az always
EyeDOSt&2BCorrected!

;D

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
13 years 11 months ago #27587 by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman
That's the very question I was about to try research a bit more for 3 of my trucks I'm restoring. All in NSW, all late 60s so no compliance plates. all modified in some way over their lives. For one of them, the ERF 10 wheeler, it was made new as an 8 wheeler in 1968, then prior to 1973 a non-braked Neway lazy axle was added forward of the bogie drive. It is old, the Neway even has cast ERF hubs on it to match the truck.
All other axles are full air S-cams, the chassis is 31.5cm high double rail. The bogie is load sharing. All tyre 10.00 x 20. Unregistered at least 20yrs so current NSW RTA records back that far. It would have GVM, when last registered, over 30 tonne I suspect. Once I fix her up, love to know what I could carry.

For my old 1968 MAN650F, I have to convert it back to Trilex hubbed axles so on goes this full air, highway M.A.N Bogie drive with full air, MAN spring brakes, & S cams. That will mean it's a 6 wheeler. Won't be pulling much on Historic Rego as only 150HP M.A.N diesel DO836HV71 (please let me know if anyone has a spare one of these engines), 12 spd ZF pogo stick box & this bogie is 2.8:1, so should idle up 100km/h then the wind resistance woulkd stop the little 150HP engine going any faster.

Kind Regards

More
13 years 11 months ago #27588 by busntruck
My understanding of it is the following.
Truck GVM is the tare weight of the truck with a full legal load on it.
Let's say a GVM of 21t, so two/thirds is 14t max with any load. (Load has to be restrained as per NSW load restraint guidlines & must be historic load etc etc)

Now if you dont know the GVM & cant get old records/data. One would have to look at max tyre & axle ratings for a few clues.

It has not been a hassle for any of the blokes in our club to date, usually way under the CRS two/thirds rule.
So an ERF ten wheeler with a few show exhibits should have no hassles.
As regards to B double spec's (A & B trailer set up) from memory the prime mover must be ABS braked in NSW.

I think the problems with the Heavy vehicle CRS in NSW are because the "old boys" from the car club bodies that negotiate with the RTA dont have a clue about heavy commercial vehicles & they usually stuff it up.

"Bite off more than you can chew and chew like hell."

More
13 years 11 months ago #27589 by mammoth
tis true B&T. But then it is up to us to get involved and be active at that level which is easier said than done when we have to earn a crust. Regarding combos, discussion has been about road train rather than B-double(when did they start, is it 30 years yet) which as you say come with added complications

More
13 years 11 months ago #27590 by bparo
Here in Victoria the Association of Motoring Clubs (a group representing member clubs) has specific representatives for bus/truck and Motorbike recognising they have different needs to the average car club.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
13 years 11 months ago #27591 by busntruck
Yes Mammoth you are right about getting more involved with that side of things. :)
But the old fuddy duddy vintage car guys are painful to deal with. ::)
Vintage truck blokes have a good attitute compared with the wingers at some of the historic car clubs. ;)

"Bite off more than you can chew and chew like hell."

More
13 years 11 months ago #27592 by theroadbossman

Yes Mammoth you are right about getting more involved with that side of things. :)
But the old fuddy duddy vintage car guys are painful to deal with. ::)
Vintage truck blokes have a good attitute compared with the wingers at some of the historic car clubs. ;)

Ain't that the truth ! ::)
I have an early speedway sprintcar, and the "older" club members give me heaps because it is not painted exactly the same colour blue as it was when raced 30 years ago, so much so they want to revoke my vintage speedway recognition of the car. Whingers - you said it! ::)
Bretto ;)

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

Time to create page: 0.520 seconds