Skip to main content

Conditional (Historic) Rego Load Carrying Limits

More
3 years 8 months ago #212181 by JOHN.K.
In Qld if its pre compliance plate ,then the MRD goes on tyre sizes ,and axle spacings if a bogie/lazy......At one time this caused big problems for owners of WW2 GMC and Studebakers ......little light trucks ,not much bigger than a Landcruiser,yet the MRD wanted like 10 tyres at 2 ton each/20 ton gross....astronomical rego cost........Now its in your favour for a SIVS ,as you get 1/2 of the 20 ton,which is 10 ,less say 5 ton tare ,and youve got 5 ton carrying legal with the SIVS.,whereas ,if you have a heavy PM like for instance a White 7000 with 10 ton tare ,you cant carry anything much.,maybe a ton.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #212185 by Dave_64
Southbound/Sarge:-X
The only way I can come anywhere near close to pinning a build date down is from the metal tags that were pop rivetted to the passenger side footwell.
I had already written to that mob who for $80 told me that due to the age of the vehicle etc etc, no records kept. All they could confirm was that the rego number on the plate (Vic. KDR434) was registerered to a Nissan utility! Vic roads had already told me that.
I also wrote away to the Rootes Group in England, again without success.
We did pin it down by the etchings on the windscreen and side glass to be 1963. BUT, that may have been when replacement glass could have been fitted.
A couple of things don't add up to that date either. Best I can work out the single piece windscreen came out in 1958, only subtle differences in cabins up to 1964, then a few more changes.
We are confident that the period 1958-1964 is the best we can do. After that period, things like alternators replacing generators, cabin badging dropped for large lettering, different placement of indicator lights, headlights placed inside a nacelle instead of being flush with the grille, vents in front of cabs removed etc etc.
Was a bloke whom I approached in Maryborough Vic Roads about 4 years ago, very helpful, but last time I was in there I was told he had retired. Very helpful young lady came to the rescue, she was the one who told me to take as many photos as I could, every scrap of info, the purchase certificate (receipt), drivers handbook showing the different engines/wheelbases etc. "Take the whole shooting match down to Ballarat and dump it on the counter! They are better equipped than us!"
Haven't done it as yet, as bought another one as a donor vehicle, going again by the tags, came off the line over one thousand before the one I originally bought. As the earlier (?) model has a better cabin to work with, held off doing anything more for the time being.
That bloke who was in Maryborough a few years back, told me at the time that if I filled out a stat dec saying that I had made an honest attempt at identifying the year manufactured, and as long as I could produce a receipt to say it wasn't stolen (I can , it was a deceased estate buy from the original owners family), then Vic Roads SHOULD accept that. Note I said should!
I don't have a problem with getting a full roadworthy, in fact I may even take you up on that RWC man of yours, Sarge.
At this stage, the rolling chassis is just about all together, except for brakes. I can drive it in and out of the shed at least, under its own steam.
Cabin needs attention and a lick of paint before dropping back on chassis, but this time of year, bit hard getting enthused throwing meself under it when weathers so crook.
Tipper body has to come off for some repairs but last one I took off simply jacked it up with some good solid 44 gallon drums and drove out from underneath her.
Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.399 seconds