Skip to main content

C Series Inter

More
15 years 9 months ago #2241 by IHScout
C Series Inter was created by IHScout
I've been looking at getting a C series Inter for my next purchase. Something like a C1800 with Cummins engine. I was hoping someone can give me some info about the model variants. I've seen advertised C1800 and C1840 both with the 160 Cummins. I'm wondering what the difference would be between the 1800 and 1840 model designation and is the 1800 the biggest in the range? I wondered if I had seen C1900 at one of the display days or did I just imagine that :-/

Dennis

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #2242 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: C Series Inter
C series refers to both ACCO and the bonneted Inters. If your talking about an ACCO the largest was the C2150, similiar to the one Bomber is selling, If you are talking about the bonnet series the largest was the C1840 but in the later D series there was a D1910 petrol and D1950 Diesel. Dodge went bigger using the same cab, squeezing in the 6V53 GM 10 speed roadranger and bogie drive.

More
15 years 9 months ago #2243 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Re: C Series Inter
Thanks. I was talking about the bonneted model. So if they followed the same logic numbering the bonneted model and the ACCO then I'm guessing that the 1840 was specced as a heavier duty version of the 1800.

Thes two were on ebay recently. The tipper is an 1800 and the tow truck is an 1840. I didn't get a chance to have a look at them in person, but they sounded pretty similar as described by the sellers (160 Cummins, 5x2 cogs, air over hydraulic brakes).

I really wanted to have a look at the tow truck, but it was up north of Sydney and I couldn't get the time off work :(.

Dennis

More
15 years 9 months ago #2244 by podge66
Replied by podge66 on topic Re: C Series Inter
The 1840 had bigger brakes and maybe heavier springs . Do you want a Cummins or a 471 Detroit Tipper. l know a chap with a tipper fully restored with a detroit in it. Podge :)

More
15 years 9 months ago #2245 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Re: C Series Inter
Would the 471 GM be a factory option or a conversion?

Dennis

More
15 years 9 months ago #2246 by kennymopar
Replied by kennymopar on topic Re: C Series Inter
should be a conversion? ..im sure only the 700series dodges had a detroit(6V53)

More
15 years 9 months ago #2247 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: C Series Inter
Awesome tow truck!

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
15 years 9 months ago #2248 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Inter vs Dodge
I doubt it came from IH that way. Certainly not listed in their catalogue or adverts. Dodge were ahead of them in this regard offering the 6V53 . Still the Inter is an excellent vehicle,

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 9 months ago #2249 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: C Series Inter
Twaz a Gent named Bill Norling th@ modified n built up a few trucks @ princes hwy Clayton mainly useing new Inters
can recal he built up a C series tandem drive V6-53 allison auto + joey box as a new truck to B used as an agitator delivery wet concrete round the Clayton area
even had Norling on the cab

ButEyeDoSt&2BCorrected
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
15 years 9 months ago #2250 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: C Series Inter
Yes I wish I had got to meet Bill Norling when I was doing the ACCO book. I am sure he could have told me a lot but I understand he has passed on. Norlings did a lot of work for IH, one off jobs that IH didnt want to tackle.
IH did built specials where a big customer requested them ie they put 6V53s into ACCOs for the MFB, so it is not 100% certain that that 4-71 wasnt ex factory. Chances are however the truck originally had a V392 petrol or C160 Cummins.

Time to create page: 0.488 seconds