Skip to main content

Mack Engines

13 years 6 months ago #35228 by
Replied by on topic Re: Mack Engines
Ian - Cat are selling 100% of the Chinese factory products into China and the closer Asian countries. They won't sell Chinese-built complete products into Western countries just yet.
However, there is a very slow and steady move by Cat to introduce Chinese-made Cat parts into the Western countries.
There are already small amounts of Chinese-made, genuine Cat parts turning up here. They're simple things such as radiator caps, etc.

Cat is a global corporation, and will ship Chinese-built Cats into here, and the U.S., as soon as they think they will be accepted.
I can't imagine the reception from some of the "good ole boys" in the States, when they see a new Cat, with "Made in China" on it .. :D

Cat have full control of their factories in China (of which there were NINE, at last count!) .. which is a whole lot different setup to the Joint Venture they had with the original Perkins engine manufacturing venture.
Caterpillar have the best QC in the world .. and hopefully, it stays that way, in China .. and the Chinese learn something .. even if they do only steal Cats QC secrets .. :D

Remember .. Cat have factories in ..

Australia (1958)
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
Finland
France
Germany
Glasgow
Indonesia
Japan (1963)
Korea
Mexico
Norway
Sweden
Spain
U.K.

.. and most of these have been in operation for between 30 and 50 years .. and have had no problems producing consistent Cat quality. One would hope the same rings true for Chinese Cat build quality.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #35229 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic Re: Mack Engines
Yeah it's funny trying to get your head around the whole "global economy" thing.. We all whine about the quality etc, and how bad it is, but- as swishy and you all say, we all buy the grinder / drill/ etc.
A mate said a while ago, "imagine if Bunnings etc shut up shop- all of a sudden you'd see all these little places open up that fix drills, make wheelbarrows, and so on". Funny concept eh. That's the way it used to be. But for some reason we've decided it's better to let all this cheap junk come in, to the detriment of our industries. I know that protection doesn't work, you end up with all these lazy inefficient industries (dare I say it, like Mack, IH, Ford, GM?) I wish I understood what DID work, because surely this throwaway society we have today can't really be good for the future, no matter how you look at it? Even the environmental costs must be staggering, not to mention all the rest of the issues we've been talking about...
Gee we're a long way from the topic of "what type of Mack engine is what", eh!

More
13 years 6 months ago #35230 by v8cars
Replied by v8cars on topic Re: Mack Engines
Hello,

To help bring things back on topic a little bit.

Which Macks got the gold bulldogs.

13 years 6 months ago #35231 by
The Macks fitted with the Maxidyne engines had the engines painted gold, and carried the gold bulldogs.

13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #35232 by

Howdy,

Can someone explain what Mack engines were in what in the 60's-70's.
The B model had the thermodyne which I think was also known as a 711 ??....did this engine get used in the Flintstone.
The tip turbine intercooled engine was known as the Maxidyne. Was this the ENDT237 ?...what years or models was this used in.
Some of the R600's Ive looked at have an air - air intercooler in front of the rad....was this the coolpower ?

Confused Basil :-?

Basil, This can be quite confusing, in Australia we only got about 5% of what was on offer in the US.
The Thermodyne 'Diesel' was introduced with the release of the B series in 1953. This was the END673 starting pretty low in the hp ratings and went as high as 180-187hp in 59/60 with the final development of this n/a engine to the END673P, known as a 'P motor'. This was available in the B61.
A turbocharged version released in 54 @ 205 hp designated END673T using a water cooled turbo, this was the 1st Mack with turbocharging. It was uprated to 211hp in 59 with a replacement oil cooled turbo etc. This engine block did not have provision for piston cooling and melted pistons etc. This was fitted to B613, B633, the 3 denoting this engine. It was superseded in 62/63 by the END711 @ 211hp naturally aspirated only, again no piston cooling as this engine was developed from the petrol EN707 block and is refered to as a '711'. I'm sure Mack never turbocharged this engine, but others did. The '711' was released with the F series in the F609, the 'P motor' was still available in the F607, and in B61's either a 'P' or a '711' engine. In Australia there were no more B613's and the 'P motor' disappeared around 64. That meant no more F607's only F609's and B61's
The 1st V8 was released in 62/63 designated END864 @ 255hp it was available in the B615 and the F715 and when the R series was released in 65/66 the R615. This engine had a de-rated version, the ENDD864 @237hp and u/rated to 280hp in the END864A. There was a turbocharged version, the END864T @ 300hp around 63/64, but less than a handful reached here in 68, again no piston cooling. This was available in the F719. A new block was developed for the END673 series and it was given the designation ENDT673, the location of the 'T' in the engine type differentiates this block from earlier END673's and denotes amongst other things the provision of piston coolers in the block, i.e. built for turbocharging. This new engine was rated @ 225hp and @ 250 in the ENDT673C, known as a C motor or a 250. It was available in the F611 and the R611 and I beleive a handful of the last B61's which were finished by 66. These were all 'Thermodyne' engines.
The 'Maxidyne' was released in 67, the ENDT675 @ 237hp and a 906lbs/ft torque rating as opposed to 250hp and a 701lbs/ft torque rating in the 'C motor'. The '237' or 'Maxidyne' was available in the F685 or the R685. It was this engine that brought about the gold bulldog, the '237' was painted gold aswell. To get 900 lbs/ft in a Cummins you needed a 335, a 250 Cummins was only around 700 and neither were constant power engines like a Maxidyne. By 1969 all F models became F700's, no more F600's here.
The R600 'Flinstone' was available with everything a f/glass bonnet R600 was available with, except were it was necessary for a 12" longer bonnet. The only long steel bonnets were the DM800 offset cab and the R800. The steel fronted 'R' had virtually disappeared by 72/73 excepting special builds. I think it was available but the f/g hood was by now a standard fitting.
1970 saw the R700's arrive here, 12" longer bonnet, before this there was only a couple directly imported from the US, LHD, Cummins 335's around 68/69. Everything available in an R600 was available in an R700, even the '711' and they were R709, R711, R715 and R785. Mack released the 'Power Pup' in 1970 this was an R607, a weight reduced R600 with the END673E @ 180hp. This engine used a 'C motor' block. I'm pretty sure you could have ordered an R607 with a steel front. 1971 Mack released the 2nd V8, the ENDT865 @ 325hp 1100lbs/ft torque 'Maxidyne' and less than a year later the ENDT866 @ 375hp 1040lbs/ft 'Thermodyne' these were the R795 and R797 respectively. By 1972 F700's had become FR700's by using the R series chassis instead of the F series chassis which was not engineered for RHD. The FR700's were , FR709, FR711, FR785, FR795 and FR797. Mack developed the ENDT675 into the ENDT676, @ 285hp this is the engine mounted air to air intercooled engine, refered to as a 'Cool Power' also 'Maxidyne 300'. These were in R686, R786 and FR786. A 'Thermodyne' version was released, it was the ETAZ673,@320hp was in the R612, R712 and the FR712.
An engine with a 'B' in the 1st set of letters indicates the Mack 'Dynatard' engine brake is fitted.
Also there is overlaps of models in the years of production etc. Some of the years I've given are rough timelines off the top of my head. There is a lot the story. A lot of detail could be added and corrected. Anyway hope this clears up a few things.
Regards Jeff.

More
13 years 3 months ago #35233 by Daninmky
Replied by Daninmky on topic Re: Mack Engines
:D
Man thats a lot of reading, I have been speaking with Kav via PM and he said the same as I have on my roadworthy certificate that the Engine is an ETAZ B (673 I think it was).

Hi Dan, I haven't looked at the forum for a couple of months and my son saw your postings on your Superliner. He noticed that the Cab Number MSR 6933 is 2 numbers prior to our Superliner. Ours was the last of 3 Superliners sold to Quality Sand and Ceramics in Woolongong in 1980, and by the numbers, yours could have been the first. There is no Chassis number in the usual place, but ours has two small numbers stamped on the right chassis near the front spring hanger. They were fitted with ETAZB 350 hp motors.

Can anyone explain to me if it is a 350hp or 320 regarding this engine code, I have been reading bigmacks as well as anything else I can find. All the pictures I have looked over seem to virtually indentical. I have worked out that it is a 2V head as the injectors lines go in to the top of the head next to the vavle covers instead of in the side like a 4V. (I love the internet ;D)

By null at 2010-12-07

By null at 2010-12-07

Thanks
Dan ;)

2 Blondes Walked into a Building.......neither of them seen it.....BOOM  BOOM!!!&&A blo

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #35234 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Mack Engines

The Macks fitted with the Maxidyne engines had the engines painted gold, and carried the gold bulldogs.

dunno if this helps but have a look at my Maxidyne brochure

truckmadpeople.smfforfree3.com/index.php/topic,258.0.html

[IMG
[IMG
[IMG
[IMG

[IMG
[IMG
[IMG
[IMG

[IMG
[IMG
[IMG
[IMG

[IMG
[IMG
[IMG
[IMG

[IMG
[IMG
[IMG
[IMG

[IMG
[IMG
[IMG
[IMG

[IMG
[IMG
[IMG
[IMG

[IMG
[IMG
[IMG
[IMG

[IMG
[IMG
[IMG
[IMG

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by werkhorse.

More
13 years 3 months ago #35235 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Mack Engines

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

13 years 3 months ago #35236 by
Re the gold bulldog..I was always told that a gold bulldog meant "all-Mack" running gear ( motor,gearbox,diffs ) and that a silver bulldog meant other manufacturers engine or gearbox etc...
Hmmmmm.....Now I don't know.

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 3 months ago #35237 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Mack Engines

Close

But

No Cigar

LOL