Skip to main content

Mack Engines

13 years 3 months ago #35238 by
Replied by on topic Re: Mack Engines
The pic of the engine could be 300 320 350
Gold dog, maxidyne, silver dog thermodyne.
Looks like a later AMBACH pump also....
Engine No or PSA No on fuel pump should tell..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #35239 by Daninmky
Replied by Daninmky on topic Re: Mack Engines
I will have the truck back at the yard this Thursday, It was arranged to have a mate do it but it always clashed with a paying job so rather than mess him around I got R&J's so I will check these numbers when I get back to Mackay.
The Maxidyne/Thermodyne is also what I am confused about, I understand the difference but not sure by looking at the pic.
Because this is a 2V does this mean its an E6?

Thanks for the replys
From
Confused :D

;D

Edit:
Would this manual be the right one?

cgi.ebay.com.au/Workshop-Service-Manual-...&hash=item3f05a054ed

2 Blondes Walked into a Building.......neither of them seen it.....BOOM  BOOM!!!&&A blo
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by Daninmky.

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #35240 by
A depends how comprehensive it is, it will do........

ENDT ETAZ E6 there is not a lot of difference......

Edit i'd say a E6

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #35241 by
Around about 1975 Mack simplified engine designations without necessarily any upgrade to specs. It went like this,
ENDT675, or ENDTB675, 237bhp Maxidyne became known as just T675 or TB675, the engine was still officially an ENDT675. The B designates Mack's 'Dynatard' engine brake.
ENDT673C ....T673C known as a 'C' motor, 250bhp Thermodyne.
ENDT676......T676 'Maxidyne 300' or 'Cool Power', 285bhp. 1st Mack diesel with Air to Air intercooling.
Early to mid '76 the ETAZB673 was introduced, this was the 2nd Mack Diesel with Air to Air Intercooling, this engine was'nt referred to as a 'Cool Power' by Mack, generally referred to as a '320', a cool power was an ENDT676.
The designations are confusing.
Around 1980 Mack changed the engine designations. I think this was inline with changes to the engine specs. Also around this time engines were painted a red oxide colour in lieu of gold for Maxidyne and silver for Thermodyne. All 6 cyl. engines became E6's.
ET673, Thermodyne 260 bhp, supersedes the T673C of 250bhp.
EM6237, Maxidyne 237 bhp, supersedes the T675 but remained at 237bhp.
Early 1981 Mack announced the introduction of two new engines, they were,
E6 350 Themodyne. This engine featured series charge air cooling. The 1st stage was by an air to water aftercooler, the air then cooled further by passing thru the cross flow intercooler, this system was still engine mounted. Trucks with this engine were identified by '88' in the chassis model code, e.g.
R688RST or an R788RST, which would have by this time been a 'Super-Liner'.
I think Dan's truck has this engine, a '350'. It has the later style intercooler.
At the same time Mack introduced the new V8, the EM9 400. This engine used a chassis mounted, i.e. ahead of the radiator charge air cooling system. It was originally an ENDT1000 in the US or possibly just T1000. It was a Maxidyne rated at 400bhp. A truck with this engine would be a '21', R721RST or FR721.
Around 1982 Mack introduced the 'Econodyne' range. These engines were painted a light blue colour and the 6 cyl. versions now had the chassis mounted 'Charge-Air-Cooling' concept, These are the engines that have the radiator mounted heat exchanger and usually one air cleaner. A truck with this engine at 350bhp would be an '88'.
GOLD BULLDOG in 1967=Maxidyne. The gold dog was dropped somewhere mid 80's I think. When the CHR/CLR line was introduced here around say 90/91, the range increased in model line-up and they were given names like 'Fleetliner' 'Select' and 'Elite'. The silver bulldog was the dog of the day.
A Select model was a Mack that had say a Series 60 Detroit, and non Mack gearboxes and drivelines, a silver dog.
An Elite was all Mack and had a gold dog.
I hope this gives a bit of an Idea, and I stand to be corrected.
Regards Jeff.

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #35242 by
Towards the end of 1985 Mack introduced two new engines, the E6-4VH Engines. These were the 1st Mack four valve head 6 cyl. engines. They were the EM6 300 which was a 300bhp Maxidyne, and the E6 350 which remained at 350bhp but an increase in torque rise, more torque at lower revs. and max. power at lower revs.
As the model number says they were E6's and were the final developement of the END672 that began around 1952.
The next family of engines were the E7's.
Jeff.

More
13 years 3 months ago #35243 by Daninmky
Replied by Daninmky on topic Re: Mack Engines
Seeennnnnnsational Read, thanks Jeff that answered a whole load of questions. I think next time I see that question on other forums I am going to link them to this page.
Now alls that needed is for someone to ask about the E7 engine and this thread can be renamed
"The history of MACK engines in Aus" ;D

2 Blondes Walked into a Building.......neither of them seen it.....BOOM  BOOM!!!&&A blo

13 years 3 months ago #35244 by
Apologies to all but...
I'm guessing that in the 1970s a gold dog represented a Maxidyne.
In the 1990s a gold dog represented all Mack running gear??
So...perhaps the bloke that originally told me ( in the LATE 1990s ) was actually correct???
And to think I rang him to admonish him?
Yes I just dug a deeper hole.....

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #35245 by TC
Replied by TC on topic Re: Mack Engines
I want to pick a few brains here .
I am helping out a mate with a restored Flintstone ripper restoration engine is a slug I fixed the pump timing much beter + thermo couple & fitted a recycled an old acetaline gague 30 PSI to watch turbo pressure rise works great top pressure seen on test was 13 PSI @ 2000 RPM book says 15 is the target , but turbo temp is only 250 F when loaded down to round 1800 RPM where I would think it should be climbing to round 500 F or more ? aint got a clew what these dinasores run will ckeck with my lazer thermo at the next fireing
So I recon I have a lift pump problem here starving the top end the thing pulls like a 14 year old school boy at 12 to 1500 RPM makes a little heat but is slow to reach goverend RPM where I recon it should be barking around 1800it just dawdles on up to 2250 on the goveners with no more heat rise form the exhaust .
Any one got an exploded veiw of the lift pump as I read somewhere that putting 2 gasgets on the mounting face will increase pump stroke so give more volume per cycle ??
Gunna do a flow check next time the mudguards are lifted to see how much return flow I get plus do a suction test on the installed plumbing to the lift pump see if there any clews there as to the flow rates avaliable from the tank .
I struck this problem with my last F16 Volvo when the algy grew over the tank strainer found it & fixed it after turbo temps went down & it would not run at a hill but still lugged great cleaned the plastic in tank filter & it would out run the 500HP cummings in the fleet on a pull that put a smile on my face all the luxury & power too .
any help will be appreciated here as I am not a MACK man just giving a mate a hand .
TC :-[ :(

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #35246 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Mack Engines
Swishy might know.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 3 weeks ago #35247 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Mack Engines

TC
Gudday M8

Eye B no xpert
Sumtimes when a diesel fuel line iz replaced, they use the rong type n the internal rubber brakes down.
Spose 2 B a special braided aeroquip hose for diesel
if th@ is wot the fuel lines R

Has the engine got a puff limiter ?
we did discuss it sum time back
www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1273295683/3#3

any pix?

Thanx in advance
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH