Skip to main content

New to the forum

More
15 years 7 months ago #3272 by Inta ACCOs
New to the forum was created by Inta ACCOs
Hi everyone,

I've just signed up to forum. I was scouting around on the internet a few months back and was suprised I didn't find anything on Aussie Inters / Accos but now I have. It was great to read all the replies to Bono's post about his ACCO.

My toy is a 1979 1830/B tipper in very original condition. I've had it for only for 6 months and only use it for occasional weekend work. I was very nervous when I bought it being quite an old truck but I don't have one regret and I really love the old girl now. It has so much character that is missing from many other trucks, particularly the very reliable, easy to drive but BORING Japanese equivalents. I had a driven a 1850/C before that I liked and my dad had a new 510/A when I was a kid (which he hated).

I bought it with a very comprehensive service history from a very fastidous previous owner who had a whole fleet of Inters. I say original but it's had a very typical dot 4 Perkins conversion 2 years ago. The only thing wrong with it with it when I got it was that the original diff ratio (6.14) was not suited to the slightly more powerful Perkins. It would run flat out 90km/h (empty or fully loaded) at 2,900rpm and thought that wouldn't be good for the life of the motor. I changed it to a 4.88 and it is the perfect ratio for the motor; I can now comfortably sit on 100km/h without using full revs plus improved feul economy that the little Perkins is famous for.

I would have preferred a C series onward for the S-cam brakes but the wedge brakes have thus far been very good, god help me when they need adjustment. C series on also had a lower floor on the driver's side to allow for a proper suspension seat. A 1986 onwards cab would also be nice to save cutting out rust every couple of years.

Would like to get an exhaust stack, air horn and bullbar when I've got nothing better to do with my time.

Be prepared for a lot of stupid questions...

Here's a few pics.

Cheers,
Joe

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago #3273 by huppypuppy
Replied by huppypuppy on topic Re: New to the forum
Hi Inter Acco,

I'm Joe Hupp and I'm in Dubbo, NSW - welcome to the forum!

Looking at your Acco reminds me of my uncle's 1830/A - it was a rocket! Powered by IH's German-built Neuss D358 diesel with a 5 speed gearbox and 2 speed diff, this truck had some serious motive power - NOT!!!

If you need any information on the old girl, talk to atkipete aka Peter Lynch. He actually wrote a book on the old girls from the military models all the way through to today's IVECO version! If you want a copy, let him know as he also sells them! Tell him I sent you and he'll do a good deal on it!

Joe Hupp

More
15 years 7 months ago #3274 by melonreo
Replied by melonreo on topic Re: New to the forum
welcome Joe you shall fit in fine just like the rest of us. cheers PAT..

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 7 months ago #3275 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: New to the forum
Joe
GuddayM8

RE: the wedge brakes have thus far been very good, god help me when they need adjustment

There R a few V: of the wedge brake
sum have 2 airchambers a wheel sum have one
Sum have auto adjustment
sum adjust automatically when u apply brakes in reverse moving @ a brisk pace with a heavy appilication
I have never been a big fan of wedge brakes
we only had one truck with them on a White Road Commander
Wedge brakes do have a few advantages over 'S' cam
They use less air
Quiker response time
Lighter
I dont think U can get any thing more simpler than an 'S' cam brake
as it is easy to understand the prindipal of operation

ButEyeDoSt&2BCorrected

Cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
15 years 7 months ago #3276 by kennymopar
Replied by kennymopar on topic Re: New to the forum
i was running a late 1979 inter 1830B (factory neuss + a schwitzer turbo)..i was running it mostly interstate with the original diff Ratio 6.14?..i changed it to something a little taller just like yourself ..everyone bags the neuss moters but like everything rebuild it rite the first time! ..the little acco had well over 1million ks on her (10 times around the clock) another interesting thing she averaged 20L-100kms..i sold her in march/april this year my more modern Nissan UD isnt much more powerful handles worse & uses 50% more diesel.. my 1830B acco had the wedge brakes..dam expensive to rebuild!

More
15 years 7 months ago #3277 by Inta ACCOs
Replied by Inta ACCOs on topic Re: New to the forum
Thanks everyone,

I've already got Peter's book, it's v. good.

People seem to love or hate the old D358, I thought the were OK at the time in the slightly lighter 1700 series, my uncle had a 1730/B. The first truck I drove when I got my licence was on old Ford D1210 with a 100hp slant six. God I hated it, that was what you called SLOW, I cringed when I saw anything vaguely like a hill coming up. An Acco at the time would have been a dream.

I have read about the differences on R and V wedge brakes, I don't know what I've got yet but as I said I have found them to be good this far. My park brake needs adjustment but I'll probably start a seperate post about this.

Cheers,
Joe

More
15 years 7 months ago #3278 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: New to the forum
Welcome to the forum Joe, and good to see an ACCO B getting around.
I couldnt find a decent photo of one when I was doing the ACCO book and had to cheat. Anyone with keen eyesight might spot something wrong with the ACCO B photo I used.
I went for my licence in an ACCO A with wedge brakes and I remember they were slower to respond than S Cams but this may be just a one off.

More
15 years 7 months ago #3279 by kennymopar
Replied by kennymopar on topic Re: New to the forum
the park brake(air)on my 1830B was supposed to be self adjusting type (according to the brake place that redone my brakes @ $4300..but it never really held the truck on a decent hill or with a decent load on board .. a 1830C would of been a different story im sure

More
15 years 7 months ago #3280 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: New to the forum
A big welcome, Joe. Sincerely hope you enjoy it here. Looking forward to the silly questions as I know I'll learn something when the answers come in!

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
15 years 7 months ago #3281 by Inta ACCOs
Replied by Inta ACCOs on topic Re: New to the forum

Welcome to the forum Joe, and good to see an ACCO B getting around.
I couldnt find a decent photo of one when I was doing the ACCO book and had to cheat. Anyone with keen eyesight might spot something wrong with the ACCO B photo I used.
I went for my licence in an ACCO A with wedge brakes and I remember they were slower to respond than S Cams but this may be just a one off.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Pete - Your book is excellent. I have the second edition and the problem with the picture of 1810/B milk tanker is that it has the rectangular early A series headlights or perhaps it is a 1810/A with the a full width grille from a B series, am a right? It just reminds that all headlights on ACCOs I've driven are about as good as 2 small birthday candles.

I got my truck licence in a old J series bedford from a local driving school. The inspector asked me to stop on a steep incline so I could do a hill start but I had to hold on to the brake lever the whole time because the engage button was broken. He got quite angry and he asked me to go straight back to the station. I thought I'd blown it. I did get my licence but then an argument broke out between the inspector and the driving school instructer about the truck recieving a yellow (unroadworthiness) sticker.

Cheers,
Joe

Time to create page: 0.498 seconds