Skip to main content

Tarping up????

More
15 years 8 months ago #3817 by JimmyDodge
Replied by JimmyDodge on topic Re: Tarping up????
I was talking to a guy, the other day who worked for Toll, he was say ing they are not allowed to touch anything under the bonnet, except to check oil and water. They must call in a mechanic as it is an OH&S issue.
Harleigh

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 8 months ago #3818 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Tarping up????
Tarping is a thing of the past
they do not allow drivers to climb up onto loads incase they fall ! more OH&S issues they have dedicated frames u drive into where by a driver can hook safty harness upto a o/head fall arestor

U need 2 B pst th@ way when u fall off top of load when tarpin u wont hurt yourself
LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
15 years 8 months ago #3819 by Bono
Replied by Bono on topic Re: Tarping up????
Something similar happened to a poor bloke at Alcoa. Also seen safety rails custom built on some trailers. I think they were livestock trailors but the system could be used on others

As to ropes, give me wrachet straps any day, although chain and dogs would be good to learn

• Topic Author
15 years 8 months ago #3820 by
Replied by on topic Re: Tarping up????
Hey Bono, chains and dogs aint so safe either, working with another driver and we had to load 3 concrete pipe sections onto our respective trailers, pipes were about 15 ft diameter and 8 ft long, they just fitted nicely between the rails and three down the trailer took up all the deck.
So first one on tight against the front gate, chocked 'em as we laid each pipe down the trailers, loaded both trailers and then chained mine first with 'Nifty' helping me, finished mine and proceeded to do Nifty's trailer. Had to join chains and run one long one over the top down the centre of the pipes, an inverted v shape at the front and rear to the rails, then use the top single chain to dog it all down tight.
Nifty's up top of his trailer and the chain must have had a crossed link, so he takes another bite with the dog, applies the pressure again and then all hell broke loose. The chain straightened out and the dog was loose again, this is after he had the pressure on it. Dog flies over easy, Nifty's now off balance and about 20 ft up in the air and now coming down fast.
When he landed he was in the up right right angle position and he just happened to land on arse and with his nuts facing downwards, boy, was there a scream, all I could do was get to him quick and the blokes at the yard had allready phoned for the ambulance. Hospital for a couple of days to see if any damage to the spine, that was OK, but he needed a wheelbarrow to put his nuts in to get around for about a week after that little episode.

Even funnier at the wharves one day, took two of us to tighten down some dogs holding small containers on the trailer, used 4 ft alloy cheater bar too. Arrive at the wharf and then told to unchain, put the bar in the handle and eased it up, I'm standing off to one side doin' this, it gets to the point of NO return, then just snaps open and the bar takes orf' skywards. The bar sounded like a blade on top of a helicopter as it went skyward, the wharfies heard this and new what was up, about ten of 'em took of for the shed, me, I just ducked under the trailer, never could tell where that bar was goin' to come down. A big splash out in the river told me where me bar got too, couldn't stop laughin' at the wharfies though, never seen such a lazy buch of buggers move so fast before.

Always tried to be extra careful doing up and releasing the dogs, but familiarity breeds contempt, over the years you always got a quick reminder to be extra careful, as one would bite you every now and then.
Ropes, about the worst they could do, was give you rope burn, or if a knot slipped, a quick trip to the ground, a bit of bark removed and back at it again.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

• Topic Author
15 years 8 months ago #3821 by
Replied by on topic Re: Tarping up????
When i worked for TNT (Thomas Nationwide Transport ) in Footscray rd Melb as a local owner driver they used a long bar attacted to a fork lift the tarp was tied to the bar and then draged over the load.
That was early 80's that was a sign of the times to come. :D ;)

I remember kicking my tarp along top of a load got my foot caugth in a piece of plastic wrap fell over and landed on the last 2ft of the tray and then onto the concrete OUCH that hurt but i had to get up and put the B*&#dy tarp on anyhow . Dave :'( :'(

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 8 months ago #3822 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Tarping up????
AtkiPete
GuddayM8

RE: Are you using those new fangled safety dogs now Swishy?
Yes we have a cuple of m in the store
but we dont use m
Have heard Lysaughts of hastings wont let any body use normal dogs
n only them double action safty dogs

Safty Dog
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:sIW6TwoI1R7U3M:

normal garden varity dog

new ratchet dogs

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2308/2265171747_581845109c.jpg?v=0

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH