Skip to main content

Interesting Bedford crane

More
15 years 7 months ago - 15 years 7 months ago #4266 by Andy Wright
Hi chaps

Came across this pic a while ago and was wondering what the deal with the crane was. Obviously the crane is on a turntable of sorts. It is quite similar to an AEC in NSW that I featured in the magazine late last year - that was thought to have worked in a Navy shipyard.

Would welcome your thoughts and also details of the truck. I think it's a Vic show going by the Bairnsdale tarp in the background and because there's a certain Grey Ghost British Mack also in this set of pics on www.steamengine.com.au .

By the way, if anyone comes across this model of Bedford (R or S or even C) in your travels, please let me know.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr
Last edit: 15 years 7 months ago by Andy Wright.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago #4267 by kennymopar
id imagine its a crane for lifting small craft out of the water..& put them in place ..that way the truck stays further from the water & doesnt drown .. do those old bedford cabs look similer to the old ford thames trader?

More
15 years 7 months ago - 15 years 7 months ago #4268 by Andy Wright
Thanks Kenny. They sort of look like a Sputnik (with the two -part "bonnet") but aren't as angular or ugly!

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr
Last edit: 15 years 7 months ago by Andy Wright.

15 years 7 months ago #4269 by
Replied by on topic Re: Interesting Bedford crane
Hi Andy it's was at Monash oppisite the uni in Blackburn rd Clayton the day was Mongrel Granes day and we had about 6 turn up . Dave

15 years 7 months ago #4270 by
Replied by on topic Re: Interesting Bedford crane
Hey Deadly, that jigger with the hook that's grafted onto the back of the Bedford, was it originally from an old Praying Mantis crane with quite a bit of home work done on it.

It actually looks like it would be a very handy yard crane.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
15 years 7 months ago #4271 by werkhorse
Gotta love them ol R model Beddies aye

those cranes were found behind a lot of Chamberlain and Inter tractor's years ago I'm not certain but I think Cranvel might have been one of the maker's of that style

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 7 months ago #4272 by Swishy
Can remeber way back when
we did cart a few beasts th@ look the same
but no pics
sum where old X army blitz trucks n sum international type tractors
image trying to steer the beast in the jackknifed poistion
originally they drove m along the rd in the unjacknifed position n they handled like a semi

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
15 years 7 months ago #4273 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Interesting Bedford crane
Actually that photo was taken at the National Historic Machinery Rally at Heyfield Victoria. It was also at the Monash show as Deadly said but Monash was on gravel while that is on grass. It was Labour Day weekend in 2003 where we had a Convoy down the main street and took out a Guiness Book Record. I didn't have the Inter back then so took the XP and we convoyed down from Pakenham behind the Pollard's Fordson. I was standing beside Paul when he took the photo

I don't know the owner but it has been at a couple of Trucks in Action as well. I think it may be owned by someone in the Trafalgar Truck Restorers Club.

The father of a friend I was in Scouts with as a kid owned a stone masonry business (commercial not memorial) and they had 2 Blitzes in their yard for moving the stone to the saws then into the shed. One worked while the others were spares. I asked about them a few years ago and they had been sold off to a military vehicle collector, not scrap, so they are probably now plain old Blitzes and not cranes.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
15 years 7 months ago #4274 by huppypuppy

Gotta love them ol R model Beddies aye

those cranes were found behind a lot of Chamberlain and Inter tractor's years ago I'm not certain but I think Cranvel might have been one of the maker's of that style

Werkhorse,

I happens to have me a picture of a Chamberlain tractor crane! ;D

Enjoy cobber,

Joe

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 7 months ago #4275 by Swishy
Joe
guddayM8

The Victorian Railways had a few of th@ type of beast
the maintenace crews used m to pluck things on n off the rail line doing there repair work
they did slew not quite 90 degees either way off cener

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Time to create page: 0.521 seconds