Skip to main content

Gold Nugget Kenworth, where are they all hiding

More
12 years 2 months ago #66228 by aussie l plate
I think the gold nuggets were all fitted with8v92tta, @475hp, but could also be wrong on that

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 2 months ago #66229 by
From what i have been able to learn and this may be incorrect to some point -
GOLD NUGGETS were either W models or SAR models
fitted with Alcoa alloy rims on front axle only - spiders on rear
Detroit silver 92 series two strokes or to a lesser extent CAT 3406 engines
special trim including remote passenger window - not sure about this
was also told passenger mirror was remote also ?
Gold nuggets were all fitted with high rise sleepers

One thing to be careful of are fake Gold Nuggets with imitation Gold Nugget stickers - I know of at least one that is widely claimed to be one , magazine spreads and all and it isn,t !
I would also suggest if there are no stickers indicating a Gold Nugget then assume that it isn't !
A lot of Kenworths were speced up very similar to the GN but usually the alcolas' are the first thing to look for . Remember back then alloy rims were pretty new and rare and I don't recall ever seeing alloys set up on the drive when GN's were made but , idstbc ;)

More
12 years 2 months ago #66230 by Debo
G'Day Highwheeler, just thought i'd add to your comments, until having owned a Nugget i too thought that they all had Alcoa's on the front only, but when we sold our's the new owner informed me that not all did and that they would have been the old style with cone washers not hub piloted as was fitted to ours (he new a lot about them and owns the ones in Greenie's photo). I have since seen photo's of our's with spiders on the front. Also our's didn't have a remote L/H window or Mirror (when we had it anyway).

More
12 years 2 months ago #66231 by tjy77

I reckon this may be a Gold Nugget...

That one is a Gold Nugget, Festival City Freight in Adelaide owned it, it was then bought by the bloke who drove it for them and has since been sold to someone in Victoria. Was originally one of Thompson's. It has a 425hp Series 60 in it and a 15 speed. Drove it a couple of times when I worked at Festival's, beautiful trucks to drive.

More
12 years 2 months ago #66232 by 85tptsline
RE: the Kenworth with the buckets over the stacks is not a Gold Nugget, it is a later T900 kenworth, the difference is the slightly bigger cab, more square at the top corners of the roof, (not as rounded as the W Series cabs) and the wheel arches on the bonnet are different to that on a W Model Kenworth also.
I belive Jumbo Klos has a W900 Gold Nugget that was at one stage a truck and dog, he was driving this b4 getting in the black T601, it has since had the bunk re-fitted and restored exept for alcoas all round texas bar and loads and loads of bling, and its fitted with a 3406B Caterpuller, which is original, the SAR that they done up in Innelies old colours is an original gold nugget that was moroon and gold, had an 8V92 Screamer but was replaced with a Series 60 boat anchor.

More
12 years 2 months ago #66233 by prodrive
TJY, good stuff!
I bought that SAR in Adelaide, (I think it may have been a finance issue?) it was slightly damaged around the grill, drove it home with the grill strapped on the back of the chassis. It did drive well, but with the gearstick where it was it was almost impossible to get out of the bunk! let alone put your pants on...
We put a new grill and surround in it, Klossy's bought it from me, and re sold it again pretty quickly pretty much as it was...I didn't really know about the "Gold Nugget" thing, but a few things started adding up when I looked closely at it, eg gold dash and so on. And that was just at the start of the SAR becoming a really sought after classic, like they are now.
I've seen it getting around in still exactly the same colors, but not for a while now, so it could have had a birthday since then.
It certainly had the makings of a great truck, thats for sure..
Hope it's being well looked after now.
Cheers
Richard

More
12 years 2 months ago #66234 by 352rhd
there was 2 in sydney.1 was owned by hartney group.painted maroon with scroll wk.had a cat.that truck got trashed,dissapeared about 6 year ago,.another was owned by a john santos,(jas services)still trading,ex tympat with gm,again got trashed.rumored that one got parted out at a wrecking yard about 10 years ago.both these trucks were on containers.also bobby verdon had one,wich got stolen from his depot,again that one resurfaced around syd on containers for a while till the plod got a hold of it.went back to verdons and just sat in the front of his tard for ages,dont knowe what happened to that one.hope this helps.

More
12 years 1 month ago #66235 by 87 K100
hi guys. was doin some googling on my truck and stumbled on this. it is my kenworth on ebay. could anyone please give me any info possible on this? ive been told 1 million different things about it but i seem to be going in circles. i only just found out its not a bicentennial edition :s any info would be great. also does anyone know where i can find some pics of it back in its day or int he kenworth bicentennial exhibition in 1988? cheers

More
12 years 1 month ago #66236 by Andy Wright
My shot of the Nugget shown earlier on the Haulin' The Hume run.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

12 years 1 month ago #66237 by
If I didn't know better I would have thought this photo was taken on December 25th...
Ol mate in the passenger seat has an impressive beard happenin there.. 8-)

Time to create page: 0.615 seconds