Skip to main content

How to restore a Truck

12 years 5 months ago #66923 by
Replied by on topic Re: How to restore a Truck
The aim is for enjoyment and preservation!

Some people like to collect. Some to rebuild. Some like to operate. Some like to show. It is all up to the owner.

It is up to the owner to decide how far they wish to take the restoration.

My trucks I'm happy with them they aren't a ground up restoration. Just preserved, maintained and operated.

My Steam engine however was a full restore. As it was just to far gone and in need of lot of work with much missing. Some have been very critical on the method's used in the restoration as many of the bits have been recreated. This is because so much was missing and original components are just so hard to find and also in poor condition. So to restore it to full working as per factory condition reproduction of many componets were necessary.

And regardless of what any one says I'm happy with it. That is all that is important!

Before:-

After:-

Enjoy the hobby however you wish. That is all that is important.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 5 months ago #66924 by
g'day again ivor you must realise how many people have been burned by the GFC and the attendant fall in their superannuation values.

i have always despised super and the fund managers who do such a wonderful job of wrecking your value in them funds.

i took a different track and am still quite blissfully happy with my choice...but that is still not the point. restoring trucks is a big undertaking...no matter what angle you put on it.

cheers

More
12 years 5 months ago #66925 by ivor project
re gfc it is g for global so it effects us .ALL ya still dont get it it no point in having a shop full of undrivable trucks unless your a hoarder - read the doers post above - j blare as i said even if you had unlimited funds you would have to be 12 years of age to complete your projects you have to the unrealist standards that you expect before you expire and you can only drive 1 at a time

12 years 5 months ago #66926 by
my nephew took the old 900 kenworth (seattle) down to the S model day at gregs place in april this year after many saturdays of fun and work on the old girl.

hey ivor who, and what's, got under your skin??

cheers

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #66927 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: How to restore a Truck
ok, there is a common misconception that restorations have to be big bucks - the don't. Mine has been around $17,000 over 8 years and was staged.

first stage - buy a cheap running truck in the best condition you can find for the money you have to spend (it is much cheaper in the long run). Be realistic about what you can afford on your Budget - you can probably pick up a reasonable Bedford, Dodge or Inter for a fraction of a "hero truck" such as a Kenworth, Mack, Peterbilt etc. It may not be your end goal but it lets you learn and have fun.

2nd stage, get it drivable and roadworthy. That way you can start having fun with it and ensure the vehicle does what you want (ie not too slow, you find it easy and comfortable to drive or are prepared to put up with the level of discomfort most old stuff has (whether it be truck, tractor, car...). This way if you find it is not what you want you can sell it on before splashing too much cash

Stage 3) now as you are out and about using it - it is easier to justify making repairs or spending money and if the Minister of Finance enjoys the occasional run then the justification becomes easier.

Stage 3a - in my case was a tray rebuild and new wiring from the Cab back after a couple of years of use

Stage 3b - a couple of year later my Minister of Finance insisted I get the panel and paintwork done by someone who knew what they were doing. When it came to signwriting and I wanted it done by hand I was told by SWMBO "You have put so much time and effort into it you may as well do it all once properly"

Despite how it appears now I still have to fit the winch to the tray and finish interior of the cab but external issues (such as work circumstances, family health issues etc) have eaten into the money and time I had set aside to complete these jobs at the moment.

Despite this I can still step outside, turn the key and take it for a spin.

I am quite happy with my Inter and as it is out and about I have received plenty of help from people (which I appreciate) and also offers of other bits and pieces.

True it may not be a "Hero Truck" but has cost me less to get out and about than some "hero trucks" sell for as basket cases.
I have been offered a few "Hero Trucks" as a result at better prices as I have proven it won't sit rusting away.
There are still some people are more interested in seeing it preserved than gaining the last dollar, If you haven't got something on the road then you are an unknown quantity. If you have then you have some credibility

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by bparo.

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 5 months ago #66928 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: How to restore a Truck

Neph Lookd like he enjoyd the day

Cya
[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
12 years 5 months ago #66929 by ivor project
re w900 maybe you should have gone with your nephew and had some fun!!! there is no one rattlin my chain i enjoy my work ,my hobby ,my old trucks ,my life my wife , my financial situation [poor] ect !!! and i did not start this topic?

More
12 years 5 months ago #66930 by ivor project
re s model day great pics great old trucks most in there workin clothes ithink thats what its about ?????

12 years 5 months ago #66931 by
Ivor,

Please do not make judgments on things and people you may not know.

I doubt you would actually know what I have awaiting restoration. So I can't see how you would be able to arrive at the conclusion that you have made.

At the moment I have about 3 items (small stationary engines) not running or in my mind a standard that can be displayed in. Thats it!

I have two trucks. Both running and displayed regularly. Certainly not hording trucks!

I certainly don't have unlimited funds as I have a house loan to pay for. And while I'm no longer 12 years old I'm under 40! So I still have time to do what I have left!

Oh and one of the advantages of having a prime mover. While yes you can only drive one at a time. At least the other can come along for the ride! :D

As for costs. The most expensive was my Acco which total cost to purchase and get on the road was over $10,000. The steam engine purchase and restore was under $10,000. But to put into context the portable was a lot of hard work by me and a mate not lots of dollars. The preperation for restoration was 5 years of investigation and study. I owned my portable for close on 15 years! So certainly wasn't a cheque book restoration!

12 years 5 months ago #66932 by
there was no such thing as ''hero'' trucks in 1992 when i restored that cabover pete.

...and i have never called any of my trucks ''hero'' trucks.

the whole thing has come a long way since those days and now realise i am fully in the spotlights' glare.

...but to hell with all the doubters and some types who want to just tear you down.

to j blair and all like him... having a real go...i tip my hat

cheers

Time to create page: 0.535 seconds